Alcohol

Topic locked
Alcohol Mar 27, 2006
I'm a muslim who drinks and I'll be moving to Dubai in April, i have read about the alcohol licence and I know that i can't get one :x cuz i'm muslim so how can get my hands on it ?! :?:

Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 27, 2006
Take a trip to the hole in the wall in Ajman or the Barracuda in Umm Al Quain, there's always locals in there and they don't bat an eyelid.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 27, 2006
and if your job will involve al ot of travelling you can stock up at the duty free in the airport... but its a limited collection.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2006
I have heard that I'm not even allowed to buy from the free duty shops in Dubai airport is that true ?!! and what about in clubs and bars ?!!
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 28, 2006
How will pubs and clubs be a problem-how can you tell if someone is Muslim?? :? I gather the licence is a prob. due to the application form-right?
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 28, 2006
You won't have a problem in clubs or bars. Plus you see so many locals in a dish-dash sat drinking pints in bars it's so hypocritical, so don't worry about it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 28, 2006
why is it hypocritical ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2006
Choco, not everyone wearing a dishdasha is necessarily Muslim, and not all Muslims follow the same practices. A dishdasha is not a religious garment.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 28, 2006
can i buy anything alc. from the free duty shop in dubai airport ?!
And how many bottles am I allowed to buy ?!
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 28, 2006
4 litres but as a muslim i'm not sure you are allowed to bring it in (how will they know? not sure but I'd hate to be you if they found out.)

Barracuda, Hole in the wall, or a guy you'll meet within two months of living here that'll deliver to your door are your best bets.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 30, 2006
fayz wrote:4 litres but as a muslim i'm not sure you are allowed to bring it in (how will they know? not sure but I'd hate to be you if they found out.)

Barracuda, Hole in the wall, or a guy you'll meet within two months of living here that'll deliver to your door are your best bets.

What is Barracuda and Hole in the wall that everyone keeps mentioning ?! :?:
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 30, 2006
in other emirates like Ajman or UAQ they are more open to alcohol and allow you to buy without a license no matter what religion.

The 2 places mentioned are names of stores. It is worth mentioning though that traveling with Liquor in your car through Sharjah is illegal and yes you need to go through Sharjah to bring your purchase home.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 30, 2006
MaaaD wrote:why is it hypocritical ?

cos some ppl praise God outside and drink wine in the name of God.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 01, 2006
I didn't mean it like that guys. Most establishments where alcohol is served have a dress code which clearly states 'No National Dress'.

Take for example Scarlets in Emirates Towers, they never used to allow people in national dress, but because the sons of soke dude high up use it as their watering hole, they kicked up a fuss and now are allowed in wearing the dish-dash.

Many bars are clubs will not allow entry wearing the national dress. It's that part that I find hypocritical.

Just to clear that up. Oh and by the way the national dress rule by no means just includes UAE national dress, but any clothing which can be considered national dress from any country.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 01, 2006
so choco if i dress like a pharaoj they won't let me in :lol:
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 01, 2006
King Tut or Cleopatra ??

:lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 01, 2006
I was thinking more like Ramsis :faroah:
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 01, 2006
Youy may well laugh guys, but I've had friends who've gone out in fancy dress for a party night and they;ve been refused entry because what they were wearing was considered a national dress.

They did how ever let a bloke in a pink tutu and full make up in - go figure!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 02, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Youy may well laugh guys, but I've had friends who've gone out in fancy dress for a party night and they;ve been refused entry because what they were wearing was considered a national dress.

So that would be national dress in Australia then?

Fnarr! Fnarr!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 02, 2006
Dress like an irish farmer, have a couple o drinks and you'll get served wherever you go.....

....or else :naka:
irish vanessa
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Youy may well laugh guys, but I've had friends who've gone out in fancy dress for a party night and they;ve been refused entry because what they were wearing was considered a national dress.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

Apr 05, 2006
I would like to know which Emirates allowe Alcohol and which doesn't :?:
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

drink, drink, drink Apr 05, 2006
dubai either under license (issues by the dubai police) and purchased at an off-sale, or in a hotel bar - although some "establishments" do tend to strech the definition of hotel..

emirate of abu dhabi only in hotel bars

sharjah used to a allow limited exposure to alcohol, but has been dry for a good number of years now..... and .... they have also now banned people from riding bicycles in the emirate!!!!!!!

RAK, FUJ, UAQ, AJM etc... etc .... all "legally" dry!!!! nod-nod, wink-wink... say no more!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Apr 06, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
Just to clear that up. Oh and by the way the national dress rule by no means just includes UAE national dress, but any clothing which can be considered national dress from any country.

What if some hot babe wanted to wear the national dress of the Garden of Eden era (ie. naked for all you lost ones), they will prevent her too?? :oops:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2006
now buying in Abu Dhabi :)
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 08, 2006
Wafaey,
Is saying that you are an Atheist on your residency application an option? You can then obtain a licence.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 09, 2006
I dont think its an option, plus if your a muslim and want to change to another religion you will be in a world of shit. so stick to muslim and just buy it from duty free or whole in the wall from ajman.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 09, 2006
I don't want to change my religion but i heard that muslims can't buy from the freeduty shop is that true ?!!
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 09, 2006
Wafaey wrote:I don't want to change my religion but i heard that muslims can't buy from the freeduty shop is that true ?!!

They normally only ask for your boarding pass I think. If you are flying in from somewhere outside the Middle East, buy it at the point of departure, saves all the heartache and the embarrassment of being refused here!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 09, 2006
but would they allowe me to enter with it ?!
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum