Alcohol

Topic locked
Alcohol Jun 08, 2006
Am moving to Dubai and shifting a house full of furniture by sea. Also have about 70 bottles of wine I'd like to bring with me. Is it possible to bring these into the country by paying some sort of duty or tax?
By the time my possessions arrive I would have already sorted out an alcohol licence for buying from off-licences over there. Would hate for this nice wine to go to waste though!
Thanks.

rawkus
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 08, 2006
you would only be allowed to bring in the duty free limit - which is limited to three bottles of spirits or wine. you may not import or bring more than that with you, it will be held by customs. they normally do inspections on expats furniture/ possesions when they enter the country.

a friend of mine tried to bring in 15 bottles, they were confiscated sent to the police station, he spent about 2 weeks trying to get them out of "custody" - to no avail ....

sell it off or drink it before you come :)
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 08, 2006
They let you in with 6 bottles don't they DS?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2006
4 bottles or cases of beer per person.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 08, 2006
Yeah, 4 bottless when u buy it on the way in. When you relocate here for some reason Kent movers got 6 through for me. The rest I had to leave for the customs officials to "dispense" of.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2006
that was dispense as in "they will drink it" or "they will sell it"

i assume X

:evil:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 08, 2006
Thanks for the advice. Looks like we better get some drunk in the meantime!

Does that mean my wife and I could arrive by air with 4 bottles each and then we could also send 4 for each of us with the rest of our belongings by sea?

16 good bottles isn't a bad start...
rawkus
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum