Alcohol

Topic locked
Apr 09, 2006
dude, after you have cleared off immigration and got your handbaggage scanned in the X-ray if you look to your left there is a duty free shop. go in there and buy up to 4 bottles of alocohol or 3 bottles and a pack of beer. You get that and then leave no one will talk to you. trust me its tested !

MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 09, 2006
Wafaey wrote:but would they allowe me to enter with it ?!

How are they going to stop you? You go through passport control, they are not looking there, then you collect your bags. They have stopped the last x ray check now apparently so thats it...you walk out. You think they are going to stop someone in dish dash carrying a duty free bag from Paris? I doubt it, so why should they stop you...

:shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 09, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:

How are they going to stop you? You go through passport control, they are not looking there, then you collect your bags. They have stopped the last x ray check now apparently so thats it...you walk out. You think they are going to stop someone in dish dash carrying a duty free bag from Paris? I doubt it, so why should they stop you...

Knight

DK they still have that last X-ray check but they pick people at random. its usually sketchy looking guys. Wafaey if your sketchy you should be worried :P
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 09, 2006
MaaaD wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

DK they still have that last X-ray check but they pick people at random. its usually sketchy looking guys. Wafaey if your sketchy you should be worried :P

Please define sketcy ?!
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 09, 2006
Not looking like you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 09, 2006
sketchy = dodgy geeza

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Apr 09, 2006
Thanks guys for all the info :D
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

May 11, 2006
Dear sir,

i don't know how you have the nerves to say that you are a muslim who drinks not only that but ALSO LOOKING to find a place to drink more, i'm not a social worker yes, i'm not a saint yes, but i'm a muslim :) and i'm proud of it, so please, next time don't say that you are a muslim because be sure, you are not.

peace.
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 11, 2006
R YOU PLAYING GOD NOW OR WHAT ?!!!
AND WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO SAY IF I'M MUSLIM OR NOT :x :x :x
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

May 11, 2006
Wafaey wrote:R YOU PLAYING GOD NOW OR WHAT ?!!!
AND WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO SAY IF I'M MUSLIM OR NOT :x :x :x

He probably means that you are not a true practicing Muslim. If that is what he meant to say then he is correct and there is no need to get all worked up over it.

One day you may become a practicing Muslim, or you may not. God will always be there and it is your choice to act as you want.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
benwj wrote:Wafaey,
Is saying that you are an Atheist on your residency application an option? You can then obtain a licence.

You mean lie about your religion :shock: ?

AFAIK Atheism is frowned on by Islam much more than saying you are a Christian. Or even Jewish.

Wafaey wrote:I don't want to change my religion but i heard that muslims can't buy from the freeduty shop is that true ?!!

I'd guess you can but there is a risk (I don't know how much of one) that the customs/police ask you what your religion is after seeing bottles in the scanning machine. I haven't heard of it happening there.

Someone else said the duty-free shop is after the scanner. Every time I've arrived in Dubai, I've seen the x-ray machine after duty-free.

Liban wrote:He probably means that you are not a true practicing Muslim. If that is what he meant to say then he is correct and there is no need to get all worked up over it.

Or s/he comes from a country where it's acceptable for him/her to be Muslim and drink. And just to pre-empt the obvious response, I'm not saying it's right or wrong (that's not a judgement I'm entitled to make), I'm just saying some Muslims believe it is acceptable to drink.

Chocoholic wrote:Just to clear that up. Oh and by the way the national dress rule by no means just includes UAE national dress, but any clothing which can be considered national dress from any country.

How interesting. One could say western clothes are the national dress of western countries so all westerners shouldn't be allowed in bars :mrgreen:

I thought I'd seen men wearing Scottish kilts entering bars sometimes.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2006
[quote=I thought I'd seen men wearing Scottish kilts entering bars sometimes.[/quote]

Yeah...but only dodgy bars!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 14, 2006
sharewadi wrote:Someone else said the duty-free shop is after the scanner. Every time I've arrived in Dubai, I've seen the x-ray machine after duty-free.

Yeah, they have gotten rid of the compulsary customs scanners. The compulsary scan point is before the duty free shops.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:
sharewadi wrote:Someone else said the duty-free shop is after the scanner. Every time I've arrived in Dubai, I've seen the x-ray machine after duty-free.

Yeah, they have gotten rid of the compulsary customs scanners. The compulsary scan point is before the duty free shops.

Oh yes, you're right. I remember now :oops:
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2006
People have a wrong impression about dubai before they get it. In this place you can get anything you want. I know some bootleggers who deliver to your doorstep, no questions asked.

And in clubs and hotels you can do anything you want. Just dont start fights.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum