Opera Boss Censors Mozart Over Stage Beheading Of Muhammad

Topic locked
Opera boss censors Mozart over stage beheading of Muhammad Sep 29, 2006
THE bloodstained King of Crete stumbles onstage and holds aloft the decapitated heads of Poseidon, Jesus, Buddha and the Prophet Muhammad. “The gods are dead!” he calls out to the audience.

"For fear of Muslim anger, the bosses of the world-renowned Deutsche Oper in Berlin have cancelled performances of Mozart’s Idomeneo. The decision has unleashed a storm of disapproval from politicians and writers, who claim that Germany has fatally compromised the freedom of expression."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 67,00.html

valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Sep 29, 2006
dude just let it go
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 29, 2006
I think it is smart of them to cancel it. There are Muslims waiting for the next offense to happen - and it could spark major problems if the opera went ahead.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 30, 2006
kanelli wrote:I think it is smart of them to cancel it. There are Muslims waiting for the next offense to happen - and it could spark major problems if the opera went ahead.

I disagree, unlike the the Danish cartoon controversy and the pope's remarks, this play trashes all religions equally. The Danish cartoons and the Popes speech only denigrated one religion. I relish the oppurtunity to mock religion, as long as all religions are equally mocked. This play must be shown now.
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Sep 30, 2006
don't forget the Soldiers for Christ... :wink:
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Sep 30, 2006
Since there are many Jews who are waiting for this to happen. they would never consider harrasing them by anyhow.

Muslims would rage yes, not just because of muhammad and also because of jesus.

- For the malicious ignorants: the true smartness is to know how to respect and not to offend people. Jesus or Muhammd are not some one you make a joke about to have a laugh.

The one who is lacking something cant give it.
Intimacy
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Opera boss censors Mozart over stage beheading of Muhamm Oct 02, 2006
valkyrie wrote:THE bloodstained King of Crete stumbles onstage and holds aloft the decapitated heads of Poseidon, Jesus, Buddha and the Prophet Muhammad. “The gods are dead!” he calls out to the audience.

"For fear of Muslim anger, the bosses of the world-renowned Deutsche Oper in Berlin have cancelled performances of Mozart’s Idomeneo. The decision has unleashed a storm of disapproval from politicians and writers, who claim that Germany has fatally compromised the freedom of expression."

Mozart was a Freemason right?

http://www.masonmusic.org/mozart.html
Abdullah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Abdullah wrote:
valkyrie wrote:THE bloodstained King of Crete stumbles onstage and holds aloft the decapitated heads of Poseidon, Jesus, Buddha and the Prophet Muhammad. “The gods are dead!” he calls out to the audience.

I believe the freemasons are very religious
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

valkyrie wrote:
Abdullah wrote:

I believe the freemasons are very religious

ok
Abdullah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 02, 2006
Oh just show the flippin' play. People have to stop being so sensitive.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 03, 2006
I agree, but unfortunately we have seen that anything said about Islam or the prophet Mohammed can insight violence and hatred - so I think people should be careful. Some can handle free speech, some can't.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 03, 2006
When Muslims complain about the disrespect of their religion, they're thought of as overly-sensitive by some. But what of Judaism? Judaism and the Holocaust seem to be untouchable subjects. Why is it OK to involve Islam in controversy and disrespect but not Judaism? Holocaust denying is illegal in some countries after all...
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 03, 2006
That is an old argument that has been discussed at length in many threads on this forum. The same applies for Jews - they should be able to accept free speech as well.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 03, 2006
Whose interpretation of "free speech"? One can not impose ones views on a group. Many insist on treating a religion as if it were a political party; as if an outside minority or majority has a right to influence it. That's should not be the case.

And as to Judaism, I was referring to European countries, secular countries choose to censor themselves when it comes to this particular religion. There lies the unfairness. It's not about Jews censoring themselves it's about their influence on secular nations and soceity.
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 03, 2006
Do other countries and Jews riot, burn flags, attack embassies, kill people, or turn to terrorist organisations after Muslims or whoever deny the holocaust or the historical facts?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 03, 2006
kanelli wrote:Do other countries and Jews riot, burn flags, attack embassies, kill people, or turn to terrorist organisations after Muslims or whoever deny the holocaust or the historical facts?

they dont have to their soldiers do their job legally :roll:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 03, 2006
kanelli wrote:Do other countries and Jews riot, burn flags, attack embassies, kill people, or turn to terrorist organisations after Muslims or whoever deny the holocaust or the historical facts?

Israel is a religious state - their wars are based on religious ideology. They committ far worse crimes, war crimes. Isn't the democratically elected Palestinian authority being bullied because it has not accepted the state of Israel? Iran is bullied in the same way. Where is their freedom of speech then? and what of the "freedom" used abstractly, does this fuzzy notion justify a war? Fighting for "freedom" (in Iraq)? Fighting for freedom is ok according to some... That's a far worse reality than fight for religious respect, than squirmishes over a religious insult (not that I defend this type of violence and reactionary behavior - I don't).

I think people need to look at the "whole picture" more rationaly and honestly and without so much preconceived bias.
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Opera boss censors Mozart over stage beheading of Muhamm Oct 03, 2006
valkyrie wrote:I believe the freemasons are very religious

Not so, Freemasonry is areligious and apolitical. At least, that's what they'll have you know.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 03, 2006
The Freemasons are pretty much mafia, the father of an ex-boyf was a Freemason. You don't mess with those guys.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 03, 2006
Mint Tulip wrote:

Israel is a religious state - their wars are based on religious ideology.

No it isn't....no they aren't
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 04, 2006
mraph33 wrote:
Mint Tulip wrote:

:!: :!: :?: Are you serious? You didn't know that Israel is a Jewish state/religion-based state and that they claim that their Jewishness is threatened by their neighbors?
Wow...

"The state of Israel is the culmination of nearly a century of activity in Zionism .... The struggle by Jews for a Jewish state in Palestine had begun in the late 19th century.........to divide Palestine into a Jewish State."
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-Israel.html

"... As such, it is the world's only Jewish state..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel
Mint Tulip
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 04, 2006
I don't think it's very wise to go ahead with this part of the play... Better be safe than sorry. If some muslims get angry over a cartoon, believe me a play is gonna be far worse..
NoWoRrIeS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 04, 2006
i dont know why those morons pick up sensitive issues all the freaking time? Why dont they leave this topic alone? those actors ont starve to death not acting this crap. Freedom of expression deosnt mean u stand on a podium and cite rascist comments or disrepect one's beleifs........ give respect and u shall earn respect ........jeeez
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 04, 2006
sniper420 wrote:i dont know why those morons pick up sensitive issues all the freaking time? Why dont they leave this topic alone? those actors ont starve to death not acting this crap. Freedom of expression deosnt mean u stand on a podium and cite rascist comments or disrepect one's beleifs........ give respect and u shall earn respect ........jeeez

I agree with what you are saying about respect.

In response to what you said about freedom of expression; however, i think some people would disagree with you. Some would argue that freedom of expression is that, the right to express yourself freely.

Just for the record though, i agree with you on the freedom of expression part as well, there are some guidlines that should be followed.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 04, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:The Freemasons are pretty much mafia, the father of an ex-boyf was a Freemason. You don't mess with those guys.

my dad unfortunately is
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 04, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
sniper420 wrote:i dont know why those morons pick up sensitive issues all the freaking time? Why dont they leave this topic alone? those actors ont starve to death not acting this crap. Freedom of expression deosnt mean u stand on a podium and cite rascist comments or disrepect one's beleifs........ give respect and u shall earn respect ........jeeez

In response to what you said about freedom of expression; however, i think some people would disagree with you. Some would argue that freedom of expression is that, the right to express yourself freely.

Just for the record though, i agree with you on the freedom of expression part as well, there are some guidlines that should be followed.

The play attacked all religions equally. If the play selectively attacked one religion, than I would have agreed with you. Why are you apprehensive of mocking religion? Personally I think religion jokes (Think George Carlin) are very funny.
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Oct 04, 2006
valkyrie wrote:
bushra21 wrote:

The play attacked all religions equally. If the play selectively attacked one religion, than I would have agreed with you. Why are you apprehensive of mocking religion? Personally I think religion jokes (Think George Carlin) are very funny.

yeah it's liek ridiculing the minority races for the stuffs they practice. btw why even trouble them......if u r atheist ok they respect u same is the case u have to respect their beleifs..........if u r type of guy liek kanelli and choco beleiving atheism is panache for all the fighting........I am sorry u havent read history
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 04, 2006
Religous people aren't a minority. And again, the play didn't just attack Muslims, Jesus was also decapitated along with other religious figures. Further more this play was written by Mozart, if you know anything about music/culture Mozart was one of the greatest musicians to live. Why would you want to suppress art? The cartoons were one thing, they were drawn to denigrate Islam, however this play does not seek to denigrate religion/culture but to provoke thought.
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Oct 04, 2006
valkyrie wrote:Religous people aren't a minority. And again, the play didn't just attack Muslims, Jesus was also decapitated along with other religious figures. Further more this play was written by Mozart, if you know anything about music/culture Mozart was one of the greatest musicians to live. Why would you want to suppress art? The cartoons were one thing, they were drawn to denigrate Islam, however this play does not seek to denigrate religion/culture but to provoke thought.

well i didnt say Islam was only religion insulted. Most of the chrstains atleast in west dont give damn cos they dont care abt religion anymore and they themselves ridicule Jesus. They are involved or busy with something more important like career. But in East especially if u go places like Dubai religion plays very important role in their life and ridiculing their religion is more like insulting thier core culture. One of my Muslim told me he is better off with rascist remarks than insulting the prophet.

Everybody has something which is dear to them and willing to die for . For u it may b ur gf for me my kitties , for a nation soldiers die protecting their dear motherland and time and again Muslims are willing to die for their religion
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 04, 2006
Mint Tulip wrote:
mraph33 wrote:
Mint Tulip wrote:

:!: :!: :?: Are you serious? You didn't know that Israel is a Jewish state/religion-based state and that they claim that their Jewishness is threatened by their neighbors?
Wow...

"The state of Israel is the culmination of nearly a century of activity in Zionism .... The struggle by Jews for a Jewish state in Palestine had begun in the late 19th century.........to divide Palestine into a Jewish State."
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-Israel.html

"... As such, it is the world's only Jewish state..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel

It is a state with a Jewish majority - but it is a democratic country, with some religious influences. It is not run solely on religious law as you see in countries that call themselves "Islamic countries."
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums