Your Accent .. Does It Matter ?

Topic locked
Your Accent .. does it matter ? Sep 09, 2006
Interesting topic

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10066118.html

What do you think ? Do any of you talk differently at work than how they would talk at home or with friends ?

MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 09, 2006
Yes, Ofcourse we talk to differnt people.. can u imagine talking to the laundry guys or to the carpenter who's doing the interiors for your co in in King's English. There's a definite difference in my accent when i talk to different ppl. but i think thats more of a natural thing to happen... it may b just me..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 09, 2006
yes, yes, same, same
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 09, 2006
yep. but it is more about trying to put people at ease/blend in, as opposed to using the accent to differentiate you from the rest of the group.
JeepDude
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 09, 2006
Yup. Its completely subconscious and I don't realise when I'm doing it. But I switch all the time. Almost like using various dialects of English.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Your Accent .. does it matter ? Sep 09, 2006
MaaaD wrote:Interesting topic

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10066118.html

What do you think ? Do any of you talk differently at work than how they would talk at home or with friends ?

Come to think of it, I seem to adapt the accent of the person I am talking / conversing with.
girl_glen
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 09, 2006
yes accent is very important , for eg. u can not take ur ghetto accent in a business meeting and act all professional.

naw a mean dawg
xibit
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 09, 2006
I have had to adapt and change over the years and now people don't really know where I am from, which is also OK.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 09, 2006
I don't change my accent - but I do get very strange looks when I start speaking sometimes.

I have a clearly British accent and I've found people here do a double-take sometimes :). I also speak Mauritian - but unfortunately speak it with a British accent!

Anyway, the vocabulary I use will change from situation to situation (friends vs business vs children vs family) but not the accent, unless I'm trying to make a point in another accent.

Accent is important though in how a person is perceived - but so is what is said and how it is said. Words and how they are used are an indication of a person's mastery of a language, which sometimes is taken as a proxy for education or skill.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 10, 2006
of course I do, I sure most does....
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 10, 2006
But accent should not be a basis for guaging education or skill. Having an american or british accent does not guarantee a high level of education as even illiterates in those countries can speak perfect english. It's their language that's why.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Sep 10, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:But accent should not be a basis for guaging education or skill. Having an american or british accent does not guarantee a high level of education as even illiterates in those countries can speak perfect english. It's their language that's why.

You may be surprised at the variation in accents within the UK and US - and if you click through to the article referred to in the first post you will see that they are actually talking about people in the UK changing their accents.

I agree that accents should not be a basis for judging - but they are.

The applies to other languages as well. French accents vary and there is a class distinction which extends to accent - the 'BCBJ' class (equivalent of upper class in UK) have an accent and this is the (roughly) the equivalent of 'oxford' or 'queen's' English in the UK.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 10, 2006
Well, my accent is one that is very destinctive, and incriminating. I was born in West Texas (Amarillo, TX), raised there and formed a extreme Texas accent. My mother has often said she doesn't know where in the hell I got this accent. If I am with southern people my accent turns totally mush...........and I almost scare myself when I talk.

God, I hope I'm never judged by my accent! While here, I have been accused from various people of being "British", think it is the way I carry myself. The first time I was asked if I was British my comment back was, "No, I'm a Texan"!!! I was very new here, and hadn't experienced that question before. I have to laugh when I think about it due to my accent. Had been working with this gentleman for hours, and was shocked by his comment.
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 10, 2006
dubai girl wrote:Well, my accent is one that is very destinctive, and incriminating. I was born in West Texas (Amarillo, TX), raised there and formed a extreme Texas accent. My mother has often said she doesn't know where in the hell I got this accent. If I am with southern people my accent turns totally mush...........and I almost scare myself when I talk.

God, I hope I'm never judged by my accent! While here, I have been accused from various people of being "British", think it is the way I carry myself. The first time I was asked if I was British my comment back was, "No, I'm a Texan"!!! I was very new here, and hadn't experienced that question before. I have to laugh when I think about it due to my accent. Had been working with this gentleman for hours, and was shocked by his comment.

This must be the first time that I have ever heard that a Texas accent can be likened to a British accent, I know we have some strange ones, but not that strange :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 10, 2006
I reckon that 'aint bloody common around here.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Sep 10, 2006
In terms of 'British' accents - I've heard loads of accents here:

- Brummy (Birmingham)
- Mancunian (Manchester)
- Yorkshire
- Welsh
- Geordie (Newcastle)
- Cockney (East London)
- Scouse (Liverpool)

and the plummy Queen's English.

Oh - and there's also the West Country accent sported by one of our prolific posters on this Forum! :)

It's not surprising, therefore, to hear of a Texan being mistaken for a 'Britisher' :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 10, 2006
Once accent, just raise your voice if they don't understand.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2006
I know that some accents kills the tension in an argument.....it can be a good thing.....
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2006
Bleakus wrote:I know that some accents kills the tension in an argument.....it can be a good thing.....

hehehe .....like arnold's accent.....yao thalking tou mee?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2006
sniper420 wrote:
Bleakus wrote:I know that some accents kills the tension in an argument.....it can be a good thing.....

hehehe .....like arnold's accent.....yao thalking tou mee?

dude it works
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2006
and on sentence construction...
I was explaining something to a guy of diffrent nationality as I and he was having a hard time understanding what I'm saying. Until I broke my sentences down to the "main" words.
Yes, I'm quite sure I have it right the first try, ok? :wink:
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Sep 10, 2006
another funny stereotypical thing is that how english-speaking dudes tend to raise their voice and talk rrreal slow when speaking with, say, an asian person.. :roll: :lol:
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Sep 10, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:another funny stereotypical thing is that how english-speaking dudes tend to raise their voice and talk rrreal slow when speaking with, say, an asian person.. :roll: :lol:

Wot's funny 'bout that ??

It's how we brits speak foreign - ennit!
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 10, 2006
Sign language also works ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2006
i do change accents, depending who your talking with...sometimes other people cant understandmy english using my "american accent", but my boss sure does appreciate it so i use it in the office, and switch it off after work hours, funny but its true
rundezvous
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 10, 2006
rundezvous wrote:i do change accents, depending who your talking with...sometimes other people cant understandmy english using my "american accent", but my boss sure does appreciate it so i use it in the office, and switch it off after work hours, funny but its true

i have that thing too
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2006
St.Lucifer wrote: King's English. ..
:roll:

or the queen's?

:P
dale
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 10, 2006
Your accent...does it matter??

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes :lol:

It matters to daily life.
It matters to your salary range.
It matters to Immigration Q & A.
Etc.
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 10, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:But accent should not be a basis for guaging education or skill. Having an american or british accent does not guarantee a high level of education as even illiterates in those countries can speak perfect english. It's their language that's why.

I was going to say you can't just use the definition of 'British' or 'American' as there are hundreds of different accents within these countries, just like any other. A Geordie sounds nothing like a Liverpudlian or someone from Birmingham or the Cornish. Also dont' forget you have Scottish and Welsh accents in there as well, plus all their different variations.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 10, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:

I was going to say you can't just use the definition of 'British' or 'American' as there are hundreds of different accents within these countries, just like any other. A Geordie sounds nothing like a Liverpudlian or someone from Birmingham or the Cornish. Also dont' forget you have Scottish and Welsh accents in there as well, plus all their different variations.

and not forgeting the posh home counties accent init Chocs :wink:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat