Foreign Accent Syndrome

Topic locked
Re: Foreign Accent Syndrome Feb 08, 2011
I wouldn't mind sounding like Billy Connolly...as long as I didn't look like him!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Foreign Accent Syndrome Feb 08, 2011
Samuel Jackson ?
desertdudeshj

Re: Foreign Accent Syndrome Feb 09, 2011
Dubai Knight wrote:I wouldn't mind sounding like Billy Connolly...as long as I didn't look like him!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

i wouldn't mind being able to dance like his wife.
Bethsmum

His wife is a nutter - she got banned from GMTV if I recall for insane behaviour. She also has extremely large breasts...that obviously not relevant but I felt it was worth a mention.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

JoeTGF wrote:His wife is a nutter - she got banned from GMTV if I recall for insane behaviour. She also has extremely large breasts...that obviously not relevant but I felt it was worth a mention.

Joe she was an absolute star on Strictly Come Dancing. For a woman in her 60's she gets maximum respect from me. Her energy was infectious, she would put many a woman in her 30's to shame. Fantastic chest and fantastic legs! I'm not into women I might add but can see what she has!
Bethsmum

JoeTGF wrote:His wife is a nutter - she got banned from GMTV if I recall for insane behaviour. She also has extremely large breasts...that obviously not relevant but I felt it was worth a mention.

Did you mention tat she was a nutter in there somewhere?
Well she would have to be to be married to him. I can't stand listening to him.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dubai Knight wrote:I wouldn't mind sounding like Billy Connolly...as long as I didn't look like him!

Och Aye!! ;) (But I have to point out, that even though I have a good ear for accents - I struggle to understand a thick Glaswegian accent!!)

Chocs - as for sounding like Sean Connery - it's quite easy, just turn your 's' s into 'sh' s and lower your voice...

"Yesh, mish moneypenny!!" LOL

But seriously, it is also the rhythm of Scottish and Irish (and Welsh for that matter) which give it its lyrical quality that is so appealing - not just the accent.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

benwj wrote:

Did you mention that she was a nutter in there somewhere?
Well she would have to be to be married to him. I can't stand listening to him.

I can't stand his hair.
Bethsmum

Pamela Stephenson, Comedienne, Clinical Psychologist, actress, Author, Mother, without whom, Billy Connolly would have committed suicide many Years ago, he admitted in several interviews and his Biography, written by Pamela. And such a mutual respect for Husband and Wife I have rarely seen, Here's Pamela Stephenson in a 'Not the Nine O'Clock News' sketch interviewing 'The Big Yin' as Janet Street-Porter a popular TV presenter at that time.

Dillon

Pamela Stephenson, she's got it all going on! And she's a grandmother!
Bethsmum

shafique wrote:But seriously, it is also the rhythm of Scottish and Irish (and Welsh for that matter) which give it its lyrical quality that is so appealing - not just the accent.

I like irish accent.
I don't like northern ireland or scotland.
I like most of the uk but some areas more than others.
benwj

YOU MEAN YOU DON'T LIKE IT WHEN IAN PAISLEY IS SHOUTING AT YOU??? "NO NO NO"??

:)

Our HR manager in South Africa is originally from Northern Ireland and now has a soft Irish accent - with a hint of South African now - quite a pleasant accent. But I agree that some NI accents can be grating.

I personally find the Essex accent the aural equivalent of fingernails on a blackboard, closely followed by West London and Sloaney accents (which always remind me of 'Tim dice-but-dim' ;) ) - actually they just irritate me.

But these are exceptions - I like the different accents of the UK generally.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Bethsmum wrote: @Shaf, what do you think of the landmine/prayer mat idea? I've been told prophets could go throught the roof! :D

LOL

-- Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:58 am --

shafique wrote:Well, numerically the most common English accent is the Indian accent. (And we're not talking Peter Sellers 'goodness gracious me' accent here - but more Shilpa Shetty's accent or Amitabh Bachan).

Cheers,
Shafique

I think "American" english may be the most common for those for whom Englihs is the "second" language (even when spoken from infancy).

Numerically Indian and China have the market in all categories (except blonds - real ones)!
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

benwj wrote:
shafique wrote:But seriously, it is also the rhythm of Scottish and Irish (and Welsh for that matter) which give it its lyrical quality that is so appealing - not just the accent.

I like irish accent.
I don't like northern ireland or scotland.
I like most of the uk but some areas more than others.

ben, I never used to like the NI accent but Eamon Holmes has got something, I could listen to him all day!
Bethsmum

Re: Foreign Accent Syndrome Feb 10, 2011
The NI accent sounds too lazy for mine (pot calling the kettle black maybe!)
I'm not an expert on English accents. I should start asking people which part of the UK they are from.

I can't stand the Australian women accent btw (think Julia Gillard). Good thing I'm not married to one then... amongst many other good reasons. :lol: :lol: :lol:
benwj

Re: Foreign Accent Syndrome Feb 11, 2011
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Chocoholic wrote:I've always tried to remain accentless, but people still say I have an Aussie twang or sound slightly South African at times, just depends who I happen to be hanging out with at the time, I find it easy to pick up accents.

You sound like a Brit, Chocs! Through and through. I am the only one with no accent, and you know it! I want to hear your North American Neutral when I see you next (likely my going away party at this rate)
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

benwj wrote:The NI accent sounds too lazy for mine (pot calling the kettle black maybe!)
I'm not an expert on English accents. I should start asking people which part of the UK they are from.

I can't stand the Australian women accent btw (think Julia Gillard). Good thing I'm not married to one then... amongst many other good reasons. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to admit, ben, that the southern Irish accent is softer on the ear, but Eamon is quite softly spoken for a Belfast man.

I can understand how you can't tell an English accent, I couldn't tell an Oz from a NZ accent.

What's up with australian women? (besides the accent!)
Bethsmum

Lay off the Aussie broads! I have one waiting at home when I am done my time. Thank god she doesn't sound like one of "those" Aussies. Being around me and my family for 10 years has buggered her accent up good! If she ever had that nasal Aussie twang, I would never have let her pursue me.

Although, her grandparents think all Canadians sound like the cast of "Fargo".
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I've always tried to remain accentless, but people still say I have an Aussie twang or sound slightly South African at times, just depends who I happen to be hanging out with at the time, I find it easy to pick up accents.

You sound like a Brit, Chocs! Through and through. I am the only one with no accent, and you know it! I want to hear your North American Neutral when I see you next (likely my going away party at this rate)

But you have one of those funny Canadian Accents????, now me, thats another story, I definately have no accent.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:But you have one of those funny Canadian Accents????, now me, thats another story, I definately have no accent.

Actually, you are right. You have an accent. But where is it from? Nothing you can identify, that's for sure.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

I thought Sage was an eastender? Now from what I remember of east end lads when BM was a player was that the east end lads were totally proud of their heritage. A bit like the Geordies, loud and proud! I loved the east end lads, they were sound!

The Brits never totally lose their regional accent. I had elocution lessons when I was a child, then spent years as a Forces child, totally accent free. Then at the age of 18 met and married my geordie husband, took on his accent and have never lost it. Now I'm a bit like a posh talking Geordie, except when I lose it, then I'm a mixture of Geordie/Cumbrian/Manc.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:What's up with australian women? (besides the accent!)

They think they can always do better.
Good looking and fun in bed though.
benwj

Here's another English comedian - he stole the show at the last Royal Variety Performance (the host was very funny too). Cockney accent, fake posh/french accent and the (new) classic - 'Chicken Children!' - :mrgreen:

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

benwj wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:What's up with australian women? (besides the accent!)

They think they can always do better.
Good looking and fun in bed though.

So are the men! :wink:
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat