Foreign Accent Syndrome

Topic locked
Foreign Accent Syndrome Feb 08, 2011
An English comedian on the subject of accents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkxm5UTe ... re=channel

Enjoy.

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Foreign Accent Syndrome Feb 08, 2011
English, a brown man ! Surely you must be joking Sir !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote:English, a brown man ! Surely you must be joking Sir !

Referring back to your post: Is this is how you bring the forum back to "normalcy" or just another way of stirring someone up? Another thread heading to the toilet.

Why don't the both of you give it a rest.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

LOL at our resident racists! Stirring the mix Bora! Shaf can't help himself and DDS is his protege!

He ain't British, he's Iranian.

Now we're gonna get Shaf come in with his life history, born in England, educated at blah blah and he even has a house in Surrey!
The thing is with Omid, he couldn't even convince you he's English when you close your eyes because he even sounds foreign!

Having said that he's ok but not a patch on Peter Kaye, a proper Englishman. Those adverts Omid does for Moneysupermarket.com are pretty pathetic. He must be short of a bob or two,
Bethsmum

You'll hate this sketch too then BM:

Chin up, lass - don't let the non-white Englishmen scare you too much. Mr Djalili is pretty posh - having been born in Chelsea and gone to some good schools... and he's even studied English... but hey - if you really, really, really want to believe he isn't English, then who are we to stand between you and your fantasies?? ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I couldn't fantasise about you or him, you two just aren't my type, your lucks in there. I wouldn't even say I just do white men, or not even Muslims, just not you, your mate or Omid :D :D
Bethsmum

Phew. What a relief.

A northern lass with her laser sight on me (not to mention booby trapped prayer mats) is the stuff of nightmares - so I'm glad it isn't so! ;)
:D

Interesting to note that Omid is more English than the late great Freddy Mercury (given that Freddy was not born in the UK).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You deliberately put this post up to get BMs attention Shaf, did you get the response you were looking for? Did it give you the pleasure you were hoping to experience?

Why don't you stick to your politics and stop your crap. You and DDS are constantly putting something out there to stir up BM. And then it goes on, and on, and on.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Et tu?

This is a funny thread. Lighten up.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sure Shaf. Funny at who's expense? Funny at the direction it takes?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Stop your whining BB. If you don't like Shaf's thread don't post in it.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Stop your whining BB. If you don't like Shaf's thread don't post in it.

hey, if only you practiced what you preached the forum would be a better place!
Bethsmum

kanelli wrote:Stop your whining BB. If you don't like Shaf's thread don't post in it.

Still at it I see. I don't have to point out the obvious about you Kanelli. You do such a good job all by yourself. Carry on.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:You deliberately put this post up to get BMs attention Shaf, did you get the response you were looking for? Did it give you the pleasure you were hoping to experience?

Why don't you stick to your politics and stop your crap. You and DDS are constantly putting something out there to stir up BM. And then it goes on, and on, and on.

Don't worry Bora, BM has been warned to stay away from these two. It hasn't gone unnoticed what these two are on with, I think someone said 'baiting'. Not surprising really as they claimed to have hammered me before I got banned recently.
I'm not daft, Bora, and neither are other DFers. Let them carry on. There goes DDS smoking the pipes of peace on another topic and he's back to his old self here! Shaf is no better, just a wind up merchant. They both speak with forked tongue!

@Shaf, what do you think of the landmine/prayer mat idea? I've been told prophets could go throught the roof! :D
Bethsmum

BM - I like the 'prophets through the roof' quip - but you have to realise, silly quips don't really annoy me. I'm English after all. :)

But why the animosity - is it because I pointed out that Freddy Mercury is less English than Omid?? :)

As for your 'in your dreams, buddy' line... here's something that may tickle your fancy..
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Bora Bora wrote:

Still at it I see. I don't have to point out the obvious about you Kanelli. You do such a good job all by yourself. Carry on.

Last word! :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Keep talking Kanelli, we are all having a good laugh.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Last word! :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oh, I get it: you want to have "last word". Please, go ahead..............
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

kanelli wrote:Last word! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:
kanelli wrote:Last word! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

K. Have you been eating onions? you seem to be repeating yourself!

-- Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:05 pm --

shafique wrote:BM - I like the 'prophets through the roof' quip - but you have to realise, silly quips don't really annoy me. I'm English after all. :)

But why the animosity - is it because I pointed out that Freddy Mercury is less English than Omid?? :)

As for your 'in your dreams, buddy' line... here's something that may tickle your fancy..

I can't see what ever it is you've posted Shaf, I'm at work and your silliness is blocked!

I'm surprised you associate yourself with Freddy Mercury, I thought turd burgulars were frowned upon in Islam?

You aren't English Shaf, you've just been lucky enough to grab the passport, well done! You don't even live in England, I bet you only return to get your free NHS treatment.
Just as well for you and your lot I don't work in immigration, you'd have been sent packing when you came knocking on our door :D :D Have a nice day!
Bethsmum

Me being English really annoys you doesn't it? :)

You have a nice day too - and may I suggest you chill out and don't let my posts annoy you in future - especially the ones with English comedians in them. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I was going to post the following:

No Shaf, it doesn’t bother me that you are English, because in my eyes, will never be.

How can it be so? Just because your parents were there at the time doesn’t make you a local. My eldest daughter was born in Cyprus, is she a Cypriot? No, I just happened to be there at the time. My middle daughter was born in Germany, again I just happened to be there at the time. Did I want to claim citizenship for them? It would never cross my mind!

Why do you turn your back on your heritage? I never get that, I would never turn by back on mine, never.

It amuses me that you continually bang on about being English. You don’t even live here! You’ve naffed of back to where you came from.

Let’s face it Shaf, our passport is highly desired. We’ve been shelling them out like there’re going out of fashion for years, to people like you. It’s all wrong and hopefully will be stopped.

You continually make anti white racist comment like white feral underclass and the like. It wouldn’t be so bad but you don’t even balance your arguments off. It’s all one sided. The ‘British Asian popstar’, the ‘British Asian comedian’, blah blah. You post like a stuck record!

People like you should be grateful to my country, but no, you sit back and slag us off. That’s what’s so amusing, most of the immigrants we’ve given a leg up to, hate our guts!

Oh and as an after thought! I have been discussing immigration and the likes with my very very good Emirati friend, y’know the Muslim one! Guess what he reckoned to it all?
He says that when he comes across someone, he never looks at their passport, he looks at the person. If they look Asian or whatever, then that’s what they are in his eyes. You can’t go around with a passport taped to your forehead to show what you think you are. You are, what you are! I couldn’t put it better myself, well done Mr Emirati. Intelligent and good looking, why he could be English except he looks like an Arab! :D

But i've had a very nice PM this morning asking me not to let a certain someone down again down, so just ignore the last bit. I'm now totally chilled. :drunken: :drunken:

PS Can I suggest you don't let my posts annoy you in the future?
Must fly! Off back to my current tasks working for the UK government. I'm considering a move to immigration where my skills are needed most :lol: :lol:

Cheers
BM
Bethsmum

LOL

You've got problems lady.

As for imagining I'm racist for defining the feral underclass (in a thread about immigration) - I suggest you exchange notes with benwj - he summed it up very well:

benwj wrote:If you are not feral underclass, stop using the term racist against people who state facts.

dubai-chat/white-brits-before-long-minority-the-t44214-45.html#p354840

Sound advice, methinks.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

ON topic - it's an interesting topic. Many expats end up with messed up accents and what we call 3rd generation children, parents from different palces and brought up in another, taught by different nationalities can totally lose their identity. But hey ho it happens.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

No problem with me Shaf I am perfectly happy in my own skin unlike you it would appear Quote other forumers till the cows come home you and I both know what you are and that is racist! Big style!
Bethsmum

Chocoholic wrote:ON topic - it's an interesting topic. Many expats end up with messed up accents and what we call 3rd generation children, parents from different palces and brought up in another, taught by different nationalities can totally lose their identity. But hey ho it happens.

I can vouch for that! We have at least 4 different accents when it comes to English and 3 when it comes to French in our house (depending mostly on the schools people went to) - and my youngest ones' accents have already changed - but not the teenager.

Accents do change also - I give a lot of presentations and speeches for work and these are often video/web cast - so I get to hear myself. I spent 4 years in Zimbabwe and initially had a Rhodesian twang, but that disappeared within a year of returning to the UK and I have pretty much a RP accent now. But to my own ear, my pronunciation hadn't changed - only when I watched myself on tape!

Then there are the people who move around Britain and lose their regional accents - eg Jeremy Clarkson, originally from Yorkshire, but most of the accent gone now. Also there was a reality programme a while back which followed some working class kids who got scholarships to posh public schools (i.e. private schools for the non-brits) - their accents had changed to a 'posh' accent within a couple of terms, and they got teased for it when they went home for the holidays.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I think it's just part of the world becoming smaller, people marrying out of their own nationality and moving further a field. I do wonder, whether there will become and 'international' accent.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Well, numerically the most common English accent is the Indian accent. (And we're not talking Peter Sellers 'goodness gracious me' accent here - but more Shilpa Shetty's accent or Amitabh Bachan).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Very true, but that's just the influx of people from elsewhere. I did laugh recently at a conversation from a mother in Dubai who was complaining that her child was picking up the Indian accent of her teacher and yet they refused to speak in English to the child at home, as they wanted her to learn another language - well duh!

I've always tried to remain accentless, but people still say I have an Aussie twang or sound slightly South African at times, just depends who I happen to be hanging out with at the time, I find it easy to pick up accents.

We should just all be like Sean Connery and sound Scottish no matter what lol :D
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat