Escape From Dubai-by Herve

Topic locked
Re: Escape From Dubai-by Herve Dec 05, 2010
Bethsmum wrote:@ ahh I see! A bankster, that's a new one on me. There's me thinking it was the American version of the c0ck-er-ney rhyming slang for err, how can I say it on a public forum whilst keeping my lady like reputation...err oh yes, say it quickly 'Wayne Car'.

Are you sure you weren't thinking bangster??? :lol:

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

benwj wrote:Forgive me BM
I thought herve had previously explained that he raised the case against DW after they raised a case against him in Dubai
I stand corrected.

Herve indeed filed his case in his local County Court, in response to the charges levelled against him in Dubai, as frankly it was the only way to endeavour to clear his name and THEN DW (Nakheel, Exomos & Palm Marine) quickly countered by filing against him in the Federal Court of Southern Florida,.

And as to contingency lawyers (no win, no fee) they don't really exist, except in either class action cases or "ambulance chaser" cases.

In complex cases, contigent fee lawyers set a reduced rate to "cover" their costs during the pre-trial phase and then look to recoup on the upside if they win. Trial costs are normally charged at the full blown normal rate (sometimes not, depends on individual litigators).

What this means in the US and the UK, even on a contingent fee the client still has to find upward of $50k to fund the litigation and more likely $100k.

Thing is the litigation firm being used by DW have without a doubt charged over $2.5 million to DW so far and if other cases are any measure to go by, will end up having spent $5 Million by the time the verdict comes in ............

From research the difference between the UK and the US lies in what they call "punitive damages" that are awarded by the jury under direction of the judge. In the US they can be huge, in the UK you are lucky to get enough for fish n chips and the bus home.
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

uaekid wrote:I look like this sultan guy so it will be good for the film maker to hire me for the roll, but I must get paid as much as sylvester stallone, I have the body 8) I will enjoy kicking your .... untill the time of your escape :mrgreen:

Guys who have a "Stallone" body and plenty of ego are the easiest guys to knock out. No fight skills, do not know how to move and no will. Go back to you public servant counter job Kid, you won't kick anybody 's arse.
I have had much tougher times with british sailors on their way to the bar and who looked like my next door neighbor.
There is no such a thing as a free lawyer, they work with both contingency fees and retainers, and get a percentage of the award. Beside lawyers fees, there are many other costs, experts, translations, travel (witnesses), lawyer's cost, secretary, filing. It is not a cheap trip as it drains all your ressources.
In the end it is about clearing my name and reputation, exposing the frauds of DW and getting compensated for my damages. Trial is set on February 14, 2011. Locked date.
So we have Gangsters, banksters, and now the dubaister, one even more dangerous, offers you to do business in Dubai, screws it up, blames it on you, threatens you and throws you in jail with no charges until you pay him the money HE lost.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

viking-warrior wrote:Herve indeed filed his case in his local County Court, in response to the charges levelled against him in Florida,
Am I to assume that DW tracked herve to florida and raised the case against him in the local county court, as mentioned by BM in September? and he then countered in October.

viking-warrior wrote:as frankly it was the only way to endeavour to clear his name
if DW don't win their case, his name is cleared by default...

Although, frankly, if they started the fight, its fair enough to throw some punches back.

viking-warrior wrote:THEN DW (Nakheel, Exomos & Palm Marine) quickly countered by filing against him in the Federal Court of Southern Florida,.
this is after they rasied the first case mentioned by BM in September... right?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Too many words and not enough brain power from me : order of events

Dubai case filed by DW
Dubai court finds Herve guilty
Herve files case in County Court
DW respond with filing case in Federal Court
The two cases are joined in the Federal Court

I don't get the impression that Herve is interested in a default win, that's a cop out by DW - but it follows what happened in London.
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

viking-warrior wrote:
benwj wrote:Forgive me BM
I thought herve had previously explained that he raised the case against DW after they raised a case against him in Dubai
I stand corrected.

Herve indeed filed his case in his local County Court, in response to the charges levelled against him in Dubai, as frankly it was the only way to endeavour to clear his name and THEN DW (Nakheel, Exomos & Palm Marine) quickly countered by filing against him in the Federal Court of Southern Florida,.

And as to contingency lawyers (no win, no fee) they don't really exist, except in either class action cases or "ambulance chaser" cases.

In complex cases, contigent fee lawyers set a reduced rate to "cover" their costs during the pre-trial phase and then look to recoup on the upside if they win. Trial costs are normally charged at the full blown normal rate (sometimes not, depends on individual litigators).

What this means in the US and the UK, even on a contingent fee the client still has to find upward of $50k to fund the litigation and more likely $100k.

Thing is the litigation firm being used by DW have without a doubt charged over $2.5 million to DW so far and if other cases are any measure to go by, will end up having spent $5 Million by the time the verdict comes in ............

From research the difference between the UK and the US lies in what they call "punitive damages" that are awarded by the jury under direction of the judge. In the US they can be huge, in the UK you are lucky to get enough for fish n chips and the bus home.

VW, in the US lawyers take small cases based on contingency. My husband sued a company for discrimination and I had a malpractice suit against a dentist. Both were taken on a contingency basis; we didn't have to cough up any money as the cases were a "sure thing". In both instances we settled before going into court. The amounts were small, but in both instances we won. Lawyers received 1/3 of the settlement.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Thanks for clarifing VW, I've only seen the case filed by DW in September 2009, I didn't know about the County Court one.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

viking-warrior wrote:Too many words and not enough brain power from me : order of events

Dubai case filed by DW
Dubai court finds Herve guilty
Herve files case in County Court
DW respond with filing case in Federal Court
The two cases are joined in the Federal Court

I don't get the impression that Herve is interested in a default win, that's a cop out by DW - but it follows what happened in London.

As i thought, he IS an ambulance chaser then.

-- Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:51 pm --

herve wrote:Guys who have a "Stallone" body and plenty of ego are the easiest guys to knock out. No fight skills, do not know how to move and no will.

You was right herve... "Too much weights, Not enought speed work" :lol: :lol: :lol:
benwj

No worries

Herve was convicted end of June 2009 in absentia in Dubai

Herve filed his case 9 Sep 2009 in Martin County, FL, then DW filed a case in Federal Court 14 Sep 2009, and Herve countersued thus consolidating all cases into the Federal Court.

DW stupidly did him a huge favour.... County courts can take years to be heard, where as Federal cases are fast tracked .... daft !

BB - I agree, small cases under $25k are quite commonly dealt with on a contingency basis, but we are talking about, in my opinion, far bigger numbers here, so the equation changes.
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

I found out something funny, that in Dubai it is any verdict will be thrown out if the case was tried in Absentia and the perspn comes back to face the trial. i.e a new trial will start.

Not saying thats going to any fairer, just a little tit bit of info I came across :D
desertdudeshj

People, signed free book for the post #300
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

ME ! :D
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:I found out something funny, that in Dubai it is any verdict will be thrown out if the case was tried in Absentia and the perspn comes back to face the trial. i.e a new trial will start.

Not saying thats going to any fairer, just a little tit bit of info I came across :D

DDS my return to Dubai would mean a death sentence, have no doubts about that. Trial , retrial ,does not matter, you are guilty until they prove you are guilty, so when you are not understand it might take a loooong while.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

I know thats why I said its not going to be any fairer. Just sharing some info I came across
desertdudeshj

That's the view of most every court in the developed world [and here is where I would normally go into one, but can't be arsed, you know my views and they stand ;)]
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

herve wrote:People, signed free book for the post #300

Who do I make the signature out to... is 'Herve' OK?
benwj

benwj wrote:
herve wrote:People, signed free book for the post #300

Who do I make the signature out to... is 'Herve' OK?

I'm lost, what do you mean?
Bethsmum

I think we need to get a geordie translator in here.
desertdudeshj

I am geordie, well near enough and I don't understand, please explain.
Bethsmum

I thought it was actually quite a witty and swift turnabout gag!

Nice job!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:I thought it was actually quite a witty and swift turnabout gag!

Nice job!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

You have taught me well, Mastar.
benwj

I'm no wiser, obviously a simpleton :(
Bethsmum

Now let me explain in little words:

Herve says: "A free signed book for the 300th post in this topic"

(still with us?)

Benwj means: "Would you like me to sign it 'To Herve...?'"

(thats the turnaround...)

Are we laughing yet?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Escape From Dubai-by Herve Dec 06, 2010
Ohhh I'm with you now, sorry for being a bit slow! I don't need a signed book, I have something much nicer that that :wink:
Bethsmum

A plaster cast of herves naughty parts ? I didn't know Herve did those kind of things !
desertdudeshj

Bethsmum wrote:Ohhh I'm with you now, sorry for being a bit slow! I don't need a signed book, I have something much nicer that that :wink:

Thanks DK. Never mind BM. You on a promise?
benwj

desertdudeshj wrote:A plaster cast of herves naughty parts ? I didn't know Herve did those kind of things !

Now now DDS! You are only jealous that BM isn't lusting after your parts.

-- Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 am --

benwj wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:Ohhh I'm with you now, sorry for being a bit slow! I don't need a signed book, I have something much nicer that that :wink:

Thanks DK. Never mind BM. You on a promise?

I wish benwj! Have you seen Mr Jaubert? mmm, a French spy? And that accent? oh la la. It's enough to make BM eat her bairns. LOL LOL
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:I wish benwj! Have you seen Mr Jaubert? mmm, a French spy? And that accent? oh la la. It's enough to make BM eat her brains. LOL LOL
No, not in the flesh, but he isn't bad for a Frenchie. Sebastien Chabal is more my type.
benwj

PMSL benwj!
Bethsmum

BenwJ passes DK, DK to BM, BM to BenwJ. He shoots, he scores. Goooooaal.
Hwat a victory! Thankyou BM, my partner in crime, for the great lead up work and assist.
benwj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat