Behavior Of Cab Drivers

Topic locked
behavior of cab drivers Mar 31, 2009
A very bad encounter with a cab driver is what prompted me to write this post. I am going for my classes in the afternoon and the place of this institute is so far, and daily my commuting is a big problem and today was the worst. I luckily got in a taxi and told the driver of my destination. He mumbled something clearly showing his displeasure but anyway took me..but when we neared the place, he started shouting at me, that the place is far and full of water and I trciked him to take me there, he will get stuck in traffic and his income is gone that day and so on and on. I got so upset that I couldnt concentrate on my classes that day.

Why such things happen here all the time? Its not only me, lot of persons are going thru this everyday..

1. there is not adequate public transport to all places
2. not enough taxis for the existing population
3. car lift - illegal

so all people tend to get their own cars which again leads to traffic congestion. its such a bottleneck situation and i am not sure if the rulers are atleast aware of these problems? is there anyway we all can convey this to them .. thru' mass mailing, posts or some kind of messaging

I could have complained against this driver easily, but then he was very old and I didnt feel like. Its not his mistake alone..even I would've got angry if my lunch money is going becos of such a trip..With his income and living standards its natural to be so bitter in life. What is wanted is a huge change in the transport system in this country...more public transports, more pedestrian crossings, and less single driven cars.

Mayflower
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 31, 2009
Ur attitude is noteworthy.....Lot of us would've cussed at the taxi driver...Ur approach is very pragmatic!

Personally I think these drivers are kingsize a$$hole$! With not an ounce of professionalism!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 31, 2009
You're right about the last part of your post, how this country needs more public transport options. And sorry you got a d*ck of a driver.

But taxi drivers tend to be like this everywhere around the world. It's a pretty stressful occupation and the fact that one random fare can get you stuck in traffic with no money and another fare can get you a day's income will guarantee d*cks where ever you go.

[not that I know if you are a women or not, but] I am a large male so I can usually deal with any hostility with drivers, but I feel sorry for women who feel intimidated by them. There are women only taxi's available but I'm sure you would have to wait ages for one.

[Personal best taxi carma story: I once hopped in a taxi in Sydney, Australia to go home after a big night and the driver refused to take me because it was only a $10 (40 dhs) fare (usual is $30+). Rude bugger, so I got out of his cab and found $50 (200 dhs) on the ground outside his cab. ha! ]
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 31, 2009
to add more: Anyone ever caught a cab in Paris? They have a taxi mafia over there. For the outer suburbs there seems to be only a few taxis that operate and as soon as you call them they chuck on the meter.

We had them rocking up with €20 on the clock! That's 100AED! Then the 20 minute fare was another €20. Rude bastards there too.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Re: behavior of cab drivers Mar 31, 2009
Mayflower wrote:1. there is not adequate public transport to all places
3. car lift - illegal

Good reply to all those Kannelli, Sir Onion and Co. on their advice giving up somebody's dream of driving license in the other tread.

I'm sure that all those ppl. received their licenses for their beauty western eyes without any exams...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 31, 2009
If you are making a the same journey regularly, when you get a cabbie you like get his number and make an arrangement to collect you always.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: behavior of cab drivers Apr 01, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
3. car lift - illegal

Good reply to all those Kannelli, Sir Onion and Co. on their advice giving up somebody's dream of driving license in the other tread.

I'm sure that all those ppl. received their licenses for their beauty western eyes without any exams...

What does this rant have to do with me and my driving license?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Red Chief wrote:
3. car lift - illegal

You should complain in the other thread then! And by the way, only a really crap driver fails driving tests for 3 years, and only a moron supports someone who wants to pay off police to get an undeserved license because they don't have the skills to pass like everyone else.

I got my license in Dubai and it was a joke. It isn't difficult to pass if you have practiced enough (33 lesson hrs for me, 1 written test, 1 parking test) and follow the rules of the road. There is of course inconsistency in the testing. For example, 4 of us were being tested that morning. The Arab lady drove for 1 minute,- made a right and left turn and parked. (She did those easy tasks fine and passed.) The two Indian ladies drove for about 4 minutes each - made right and left turns, had to change lanes and park. (Terrible, scary driving - we almost got into an accident when the one lady was driving. Was their 2nd and 3rd time failing. I think they kept going to tests without doing more driving practice to improve their skills.) I drove for over 10 minutes, turned left and right a few times, crossed 3 lanes of traffic, u-turned twice, parked. (Handled car confidently and followed all rules, so passed.) But, then again, maybe the policewoman was lesbian and only passed me for my beautiful Western eyes. :roll:

Back to the topic. It is terrible when taxi drivers are rude and don't want to do the job they are paid to do. I don't understand how they expect you to get to your destination if taxi drivers aren't willing to do it! My answer to taxi drivers who don't like their job is to find a different job! People need to get to their destinations and don't deserve to be denied service or hassled for more money than what is fair. They wouldn't want it done to them, so they shouldn't do it to others.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 01, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:to add more: Anyone ever caught a cab in Paris? They have a taxi mafia over there. For the outer suburbs there seems to be only a few taxis that operate and as soon as you call them they chuck on the meter.

We had them rocking up with €20 on the clock! That's 100AED! Then the 20 minute fare was another €20. Rude bastards there too.

I guess it really depends on your experience. We were staying at the Disneyland Resort about 60 minutes from Paris. We took the subway to Paris but on our way back it was too late with the kids and all and decided to take a cab instead. I didn't have enough cash so I asked the driver if they took credit cards, he replied yes. He was a black gentleman who spoke very little english. When we got to our destination I gave him my credit card but it turned out that his machine couldn't read it because my card didn't have a particular chip or something. He called his HQs and was on the phone for almost 30 minutes giving them my card number, exp. date etc. During this whole time he was very professional and curteous. Yes I didn't feel comfortable about my credit card number being broadcast over the airways but I didn't have a choice. It all ended well.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Kaneli,
Did you read the message in this thead?
Yes, there are differances in exams between Sharjah and Dubai, between men and wemen, whites and browns, now and 4 years ago.
I also passed the exam 4 years ago. Before me another Indian had the exam and I didn't find any mistakes although I has had my license in my country from 1984 but he didn't pass...

Despite all those difficalties ppl. in Sharjah drive much worse than in Dubai. What a conclusing did I make?

About Sharjah taxi and rudeness of their drivers I can tell you only a fact that explainds everything: there were 20 000 private taxis 3 years ago and there is only 50000 new companies taxis now after termination privat ones for the City with a few hundred thousand inhabitance.
So in the afternoon it's merely impossible to take one of them...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 01, 2009
Why are car lifts illegal? It doesn't make sense...
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 01, 2009
car lifts are illegal becos u r indirectly blocking the money going to the government. see u give money to the person who is doing car lift to u rt? so thats a business..there are some people who r doing this on a regular basis. but any business should pay part of its profit to govt thru' license fee, sponsor fee --- they just give different fancy names to get back whatever money u earn here...which is why car lift is illegal?

even if u drop ur friend in airport, there are chances that the police may stop you and fine you that you are doing illegal car lift! i am sure lot of people in this forum would have gone through that experience . how does it sound? :x huh
Mayflower
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 01, 2009
I think the problem lies in the taxi company itself. How strict they (the management) want to apply the policy, discipline, and rules on complaints made by passengers against the drivers.

In my home country, particularly the capital city, there are several taxi companies. One company is highly recommended and reputable as the service is very good, always takes the customer to the destination, no rip-off, secure, polite, no stealing of left belongings, no bullsh*t. That is because for almost every complaint made by passenger to customer service dept, it results a disciplinary action against the driver or sometimes termination.

I suspect that maybe because the taxi companies in Dubai have invested onto the driver's license. They can't fire the driver because they will loose the money. So the drivers act whatever they want.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2009
haha if it whuz me in that situation i wouldve smacked the guy and told him to shut up haha but yeah thats me :P
KINGLOKI
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 02, 2009
If a cab driver did that too me, like you described it, I would wholeheartedly ask him to do what I, the client, expect him to do since I pay for it. If he doesn't do that, I file a complaint at his company with the proper angry tone, since this is really unacceptable. They would surely lose me as a customer. And I would tell them that!!

No matter how old he is, how warm he's got, how low/high he gets paid. He can always quit and find a job that suits him more. His first priority in a cab is to make sure the client gets to his location!!! Always.

File a complaint Mayflower! Otherwise the quality of drivers never get better since customer care will NEVER be informed if nobody complains!
This world doesn't work on emotion. You need to address your own quality of life and your study that got influenced by his behaviour...

Think about it.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:If a cab driver did that too me, like you described it, I would wholeheartedly ask him to do what I, the client, expect him to do since I pay for it. If he doesn't do that, I file a complaint at his company with the proper angry tone, since this is really unacceptable. They would surely lose me as a customer. And I would tell them that!!

No matter how old he is, how warm he's got, how low/high he gets paid. He can always quit and find a job that suits him more. His first priority in a cab is to make sure the client gets to his location!!! Always.

File a complaint Mayflower! Otherwise the quality of drivers never get better since customer care will NEVER be informed if nobody complains!
This world doesn't work on emotion. You need to address your own quality of life and your study that got influenced by his behaviour...

Think about it.

You really think that from far away. If you would experience things like that on a non stop daily base, you would be best advised to let go and move on, otherwise your day (which there is really no time for) would be filled with paperwork;-)
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2009
When will you finally stop telling me that I don't live in Dubai like that. I have a very broad knowledge of my world where I live in, and the bureacracy is a hell in every country. Dubai is no different than that. Maybe ten times slower than in Holland, but then you haven't been to India yet.

What I'm saying, is to simply call the Company, ask for the highest manager around and say your prayer. He will get the point and your complaint was accepted by the highest authority available. No need for paperwork.

Dubai is built on the same principles they use here in Europe. Its not ackward that so many expats are showing the Arabs how a business is run/setup in the last 50 years of trade and cooperation with them.

Get real.
RobbyG

Apr 02, 2009
About Taxi drivers, one story experienced still stuck very close or deep to me.

I try to make this as short as possible. I arrive at DXB airport at 11 pm, q'ing the long q at Terminal 1 (yes, it was last year). I finally got green sign from the supervisor to move on to a taxi and started to move my stuff into the trunk when suddenly a black woman with a child on her shoulder started to shout out very loud ... "why do you take him and not me?" I was stunned what happened around me. Appearently the taxi driver didn't accept her (my guess because the cab drivers guess was her route would led him into troubled downtown traffic).

The supervisor approached, asked what was going on and subsequently snapped the taxi license off the taxi drivers chest. He said the guy should bring me home, then come back to discuss his license plate to get back.

On my way on SZR, the driver thinking too much became quite nervous and half way he told me he got "too much tensions" and would like to go back to the airport immidately to get his license plate back.

What do I do? I told him he's a f$#@ not taking the black girl before me and it's his own fault. Anyhow, he stopped, got me another taxi to move on and he went back. That all on SZR in the middle of the night... I didn't feel any sorry for him, comes around goes around .... ironically a bunch of racists those cab drivers ...
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:When will you finally stop telling me that I don't live in Dubai like that. I have a very broad knowledge of my world where I live in, and the bureacracy is a hell in every country. Dubai is no different than that. Maybe ten times slower than in Holland, but then you haven't been to India yet.

What I'm saying, is to simply call the Company, ask for the highest manager around and say your prayer. He will get the point and your complaint was accepted by the highest authority available. No need for paperwork.

Dubai is built on the same principles they use here in Europe. Its not ackward that so many expats are showing the Arabs how a business is run/setup in the last 50 years of trade and cooperation with them.

Get real.

Cool down, I was just to type down a story which you really can't experience when not living here. It's posted now;-)

Can you see that little difference of living and reading something from far away.... you got to admit. Nothing personal, but really true when it comes to give an opinion first hand.

I lived myself in Holland for many years and my mum is Dutch, nontheless, I have never experienced something like this in Holland..
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2009
Habibi wrote:
RobbyG wrote:When will you finally stop telling me that I don't live in Dubai like that. I have a very broad knowledge of my world where I live in, and the bureacracy is a hell in every country. Dubai is no different than that. Maybe ten times slower than in Holland, but then you haven't been to India yet.

Get real.

Cool down, I was just to type down a story which you really can't experience when not living here. It's posted now;-)

Can you see that little difference of living and reading something from far away.... you got to admit. Nothing personal, but really true when it comes to give an opinion first hand.

First of all, I didn't quote you, so it was aimed at ALL people.
Your latter reply though is indeed partially true. First hand experience is valuable. But I know all to well, that a whole lot of people don't know where to get 'real' information in the foreign country they live in, be it unavailable due to restrictions or language barriers. A community network (like I have) is way more valuable. I can tell you that.

We have embassies around the world to get acquainted with expats and situations that others already experienced (part of my preparations), so I don't have to fall in those holes when I arrive...if I find work there. (Thats another story though)
RobbyG

Apr 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Habibi wrote:

Get real.

First of all, I didn't quote you, so it was aimed at ALL people.
Your latter reply though is indeed partially true. First hand experience is valuable. But I know all to well, that a whole lot of people don't know where to get 'real' information in the foreign country they live in, be it unavailable due to restrictions or language barriers. A community network (like I have) is way more valuable. I can tell you that.

We have embassies around the world to get acquaintedwith situations that others already experienced, so I don't have to fall in those holes when I arrive...if I find work there. (Thats another story though)

well yes, of cause you can try all of this, my personal advise although would be, don't go that route. There is no room to always get your right as you would be used to back home. It really is just too much hazzle on a daily base. Don't forget, this is the Middle East, although a very semi soft one;-)
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2009
You don't really understand what I'm saying, following your reply...

The embassy thing (my expat preparation) is totally seperate from the advice I give to Mayflower to file a complaint at the taxi company by calling the highest available manager.
Make the divide, and were there. Points made. Experience AND knowledge are both valuable. ;)
RobbyG

Apr 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:You don't really understand what I'm saying, following your reply...

The embassy thing (my expat preparation) is totally seperate from the advice I give to Mayflower to file a complaint at the taxi company by calling the highest available manager.
Make the divide, and were there. Points made. Experience AND knowledge are both valuable. ;)

Listen Robby, my wife is not white, and I could file a complaint every other day about how she get's treated, now we are only talking about taxi drivers. Do I do it? No, of cause not ... there is simply not enough time in a single day in day out to do so ...

As soon as I raise my voice and show my silly white face all is good suddenly (sorry sir...we didn't mean it that way)... don't approach me with backup embassy stuff ... I all went through it before living here for a few years and I got a friggn kilo of paperwork copies at home...

Peace and out! ;-)

..pls,
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2009
Habibi wrote:
RobbyG wrote:You don't really understand what I'm saying, following your reply...

As soon as I raise my voice and show my silly white face all is good suddenly (sorry sir...we didn't mean it that way)... don't approach me with backup embassy stuff ...

Peace and open;

I didn't. I just said that you must see the embassy thing (my expat preparation) should be viewed loose/divided/separated from the complaint advice for Mayflower.

You are mixing it up now, or you reading is very poor. Focus please! Thank you. Peace Out. ;)
RobbyG

Apr 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Habibi wrote:

As soon as I raise my voice and show my silly white face all is good suddenly (sorry sir...we didn't mean it that way)... don't approach me with backup embassy stuff ...

Peace and open;

I didn't. I just said that you must see the embassy thing (my expat preparation) should be viewed loose/divided/separated from the complaint advice for Mayflower.

You are mixing it up now, or you reading is very poor. Focus please! Thank you. Peace Out. ;)

Yes, focus ;-)

As long as you take a little snippet of what I told you is happening here, I'm fine with it.

I go back and focus on the next taxi to order and let's see .. I might post yet another amazing story;-)
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2009
I took a big snippet of recollection from you. Thanks for the reminder. ;)
RobbyG

Apr 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:If a cab driver did that too me, like you described it, I would wholeheartedly ask him to do what I, the client, expect him to do since I pay for it. If he doesn't do that, I file a complaint at his company with the proper angry tone, since this is really unacceptable. They would surely lose me as a customer. And I would tell them that!!

Well said, Rob, as usual.
I tried to follow the procedure a few times. At my experience it's not easy even to register a complient.
The pnone for complient was allways busy. Once upon a time I got through and they started asking me many stupid detals. They needed not only the plate number, personal number of the driver but also the name of taxi company I didn't have because taxi driver had been gone at that time.

At the other hand it looks like all those drivers haven't been affraid very much of all those complients as soon as nobody wanted to go from Dubai to Sharjah in rush hours despide a thread of the complient before December 2008. It wasn't one case, but a few drivers in a row didn't want to do so.

I think it's mainly demand-supply ratio, and complient is an optional matter here.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 02, 2009
Edit: double post
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 02, 2009
Habibi wrote:The supervisor approached, asked what was going on and subsequently snapped the taxi license off the taxi drivers chest. He said the guy should bring me home, then come back to discuss his license plate to get back.

that's one disciplinary action i'm talking about.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2009
Yeah some of these cab drivers, really need taking down a peg or two, their attitudes are awful.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat