Abusive Behavior

Topic locked
Abusive behavior Dec 06, 2007
Right question for you all - I was taking my mother out to lunch last weekend as she came over from the UK to visit.

As I was leaving the restaurant and was driving down beach road there was a car in front which was blocking the lane and was trying to push into traffic queued on the next lane. As the traffic was building up behind me and I couldn't go round them I beeped them once to tell them to move.

When going pass them I was met with w@nker hand signals, the middle finger and f**king t*sser being shouted at me. Now I have beeped more aggressively before when driving in Dubai and this was just one small beep that I gave them.

I went along side and asked them if they had a problem, where I was told to f*ck off - then they drove off.

If this happened in the UK I would have followed them and beaten them with a car jack until their heads were mush. However being more calm and collected after being in Dubai for a year now I let it go.

My question is - what could I have done? The 3 guys in the car were British but I'm not sure if they were expats or tourists. I assume they would be tourists as most expats are aware of the penalties for this behavior.

Can anyone tell me what would have happened if I reported it to the police and given them the registration plate of the car? Is it my word against theirs?

After the event I was very angry and really felt like dropping them in it with the police. What number should I call if this happens again?

I would love to inflict physical pain on them but would be quite happy letting the police deal with them. I cannot do anything now about it but would like to know what I could do if it happens again.

Cheers

:D

XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 06, 2007
wouldnt worry about it mate.

what happened is history...
:roll:
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 06, 2007
If you really feel like teaching them a lesson you can call 999 and report the plate. You can then 'meet' them at the local bill station to discuss the 'issue'.

Usually, if you feel very strongly about it, they will be asked to apologise.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 06, 2007
doesnt really achieve much.
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 06, 2007
I was given a tip yesterday [by a guy who's been here for 20yrs]. If anyone fks with him - tailgating, one fingered salute etc - he jumps out, doesn't even look at them and takes a photo of their number plate.

To date, I'm unsure if he's actually reported any of these to the Cops, but his photo gallery on his phone must be pretty boring.......... :lol:
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 06, 2007
You can certainly call the Dubai Police as follows;

Al Ameen - 8004888 - or 999

You may however be called to the Police Station to give a statement.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 06, 2007
g00se wrote:I was given a tip yesterday [by a guy who's been here for 20yrs]. If anyone fks with him - tailgating, one fingered salute etc - he jumps out, doesn't even look at them and takes a photo of their number plate.

How does he manage that if he's cruising on the last lane of Sheikh Zayed Road :shock:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 06, 2007
g00se wrote:I was given a tip yesterday [by a guy who's been here for 20yrs]. If anyone fks with him - tailgating, one fingered salute etc - he jumps out, doesn't even look at them and takes a photo of their number plate.

To date, I'm unsure if he's actually reported any of these to the Cops, but his photo gallery on his phone must be pretty boring.......... :lol:

Good way of dealing with it! The perpetrator will assume your intention is report them. Just the physiological effect on the person would be enough to do their head in for at least two weeks... wondering when that knock on the door is going to come, or some cops will turn up in your offices…

I had a friend who gave someone the one finger salute and thought nothing of it; two weeks later an unmarked cid car pulled him over, impounded his car and dragged him down to the station. Where he was made to apologise and pay to have his car let out of the pound :D
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 06, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:

Good way of dealing with it! The perpetrator will assume your intention is report them. Just the physiological effect on the person would be enough to do their head in for at least two weeks... wondering when that knock on the door is going to come, or some cops will turn up in your offices…

I had a friend who gave someone the one finger salute and thought nothing of it; two weeks later an unmarked cid car pulled him over, impounded his car and dragged him down to the station. Where he was made to apologise and pay to have his car let out of the pound :D

wow
ridiculos
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 06, 2007
hmmm best thing is to ignore them. they wont be punished or anything. just given a lecture by the police and thats it. so if u wanna waste ur time calling up the police and then driving all the way down to the local police station getting stuck in traffic then please go ahead otherwise i wouldnt do it. its not worth it.

But yeh if it was a serious like the guy hitting my car or getting physical then its a complete story.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 06, 2007
rudeboy wrote:h

But yeh if it was a serious like the guy hitting my car or getting physical then its a complete story.

tell me more
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 06, 2007
rudeboy wrote:hmmm best thing is to ignore them. they wont be punished or anything. just given a lecture by the police and thats it. so if u wanna waste ur time calling up the police and then driving all the way down to the local police station getting stuck in traffic then please go ahead otherwise i wouldnt do it. its not worth it.

This is exactly the reason people get away with abusive behaveour, the more people that are reported, the better it will be for everyone.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 06, 2007
If the case is Brits against Brits, I'm not sure who the police will side with. Most of the middle-finger cases which hit the papers is usually a local reporting a Brit.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 06, 2007
Interesting given the more offensive gesture in the UK is 2 fingers...

Anyway, the Brits are the largest Western population here by some margin, you're just selective reading.

Most of the tales of eating cats are Indian by the way 8)

Kidding!
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 07, 2007
Brit reporting to Dubai police against Brits?! Hmm..let it slide. If they continue to misbehave while driving, they won't stay longer in Dubai roads. God forbids what I am thinking.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 08, 2007
ok .. this is gettin to me now ... ive read about 3 to 4 posts now where people from the UK are asking which number they should call to snitch to the police ... i mean god damn which number do you dial in the UK?

or if you dat dumb that you cant figure out just go to a phone booth an click on the emergency button that they gots on it .. but i guess that one is more difficult.

and XPclone .. you sayin if it was back in the UK you would have followed em an smashed there heads in .. i dont belive that .. cause damn a true lion dont only roar in his own den .. like the sayin goes .. Once a G always a G no matter where the hood be.

anyways homie be easy an next time dont use the horn :wink:
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Dec 08, 2007
Jamal wrote:and XPclone .. you sayin if it was back in the UK you would have followed em an smashed there heads in .. i dont belive that .. cause damn a true lion dont only roar in his own den .. like the sayin goes .. Once a G always a G no matter where the hood be.

True dat, brotha.

Bashing a head in the UK causes a bigger problem there than here. In UK, he'll serve years in jail. Here, he will probably get a few months and be deported to jolly old England.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 08, 2007
Jamal wrote:ok .. this is gettin to me now ... ive read about 3 to 4 posts now where people from the UK are asking which number they should call to snitch to the police ... i mean god damn which number do you dial in the UK?
:

Good call.
But why is everyone speaking in patwa?

dis and dat!!! :roll:
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 09, 2007
Sorry guys, this is NOt the way to go.

Traffic laws here are waaaaay too lax and ignored. Why ? Coz so many of you think they apply to this mythical "someone else". Just basic stuff like indication, mobile phone usage, SEAT BELTS [for fux sake !!]. Nevermind some of the posts on this very forum like seeing kids driving the damn cars, drivers reading books et cetcetc.

How many peeps have got to be killed before the laws are enforced ?

Really ?

I'm interested to know.
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat