Linux Suse 10.1 Users, Help Needed.

Topic locked
Linux Suse 10.1 users, help needed. Jun 22, 2006
i just finished downloading the dvd version of openSUSE, a distribution of linux, i was wondering if any users in this forum are familiar with it as i need some guidance installing it , i plan on dual booting it with windows XP or maybe media center.

arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 24, 2006
sure, what is it exactly you need ? :)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2006
wow, i thought no ones ever gonna answer, well i just want to know if theres anythign really important i should know before installing it so that i dont make a stupid mistake, and then as i instal it i'll post here if i come up with any problems :)
oh and how long have u been using it? do u feel its good enough to replace windows or should be only used as a secondary OS ?
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 24, 2006
Well i would just backup all the important files from your windows installation if they are not on a seperate partition from the OS. Just in case :)

Make sure you RTFM (look it up if you dont know what it means;) .. and you should be fine.

As for you question on Windows Vs Linux this really depends on the person. I personally think you can do with Linux alone, and there is a program called "Wine" which is a Windows Emulator for linux and you can run any windows program in it if there is no Linux port. However if you are just a new user of linux i would run a dual boot system until i get comfortable with it.

Good Luck and good job for taking the time to learn Linux :)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2006
thanks, ive been meaning to all year, but i had school(:() and shit, i guess i'll just install it 2moro, any advice on dual booting, sepereate partitions or better seperate hdds? and ya i heard about wine, and cadega or something that emulates gaming, did u find the right emulators to run most games and apps? and last but not least can i add u on msn or something? would be great to have someone on my list that does linux ;)
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 24, 2006
ooh forgot to ask one more, thing , which did u find better kde or gnome? i read up a bit about them and i think i am going with kde for now.

sorry about the double post,
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 24, 2006
arso304 wrote:sepereate partitions or better seperate hdds?

doesnt really matter, its probably safer with two seperate but it isnt a bid deal.

did u find the right emulators to run most games and apps?

ya shouldnt be a problem at all....

and last but not least can i add u on msn or something? would be great to have someone on my list that does linux ;)

I am out of town now and wont be logging on on MSN that much, just post your questions in the tech forum and i or anyone will answer them for ya. Plus the internet is FULL of help for Linux newbies :)

Good Luck !!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2006
arso304 wrote:ooh forgot to ask one more, thing , which did u find better kde or gnome? i read up a bit about them and i think i am going with kde for now.

sorry about the double post,

http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome.php
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2006
thanx a lot for all the info, uve been a great help :) ,
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 24, 2006
oh and i was wondering, does wine run msn live? and do u use anything besides wine? and wats the default desktop environment on suse?
sorry for disturbing :P
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Linux ! Sep 03, 2006
Of course mate. there are thousands of people are expecrts in Linux !

I would recommend you to use Suse 10.0 not 10.1 because 10.0 is much better than 10.1 but if you have already done it thats fine, nothing wrong with it.

Linux can also accept most of the softwares that Windows does, but because Linux is an open source and they MSN dont get any money from it and if you could not install msn live on Linux then of course it is not as important as windows for them, but they will of course do it later if they have not done it yet or wait until they will make a version for Linux as well, but as I said they dont rush doing it because they dont have to.

It seems that you are quite beginner in Linux envirement, and I recommend you getting some Video Training and follwoing them because there are so many video training which can give you a real knwoledge if you want because I finished my Linux + by doing some video training and thank god that I am working in Linux envirement now.

Hope you get on well with your Linux,

Good Luck
cisco4networking
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 05, 2006
i see, thnx, actually i shifted to kubuntu a while after that post and found it way better, the support channels were also very helpful.
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk