Linux Server With Fedora

Topic locked
Aug 13, 2006
Linux is stable, but hard to work around with especially for those who are migrating from windows.

If you have a stable machine, why dont run XP Server with 3rd party applications for you mail & web servers

Its also a different case if you are running Wine on linux for working with SOftwares for windows

ahamed
Dubai chat master

Re: Linux Server with Fedora Aug 14, 2006
DaveDXB wrote:
-file server (dont know)
-email server (dont know)
-webserver (Apache)
-firewall (squid)

Firesharing - Samba is the defacto standard for a Windows compatible filesharing daemon. Any OSX Mac's will also be fine with it to (OSX itself includes samba). Use NetAtalk for ClassicOS Mac's.

Email - use Sendmail for the MTA and Cyrus as the IMAP daemon, Squirrelmail for Webmail access, Spamassasin for AS, ClamAV for virus (all free).

Webserver - Apache2 with Tomcat and PHP would be a pretty standard configuration.

Firewall - ipfw or ipchains is probably in the OS already, just configure it (squid is an outbound HTTP proxy btw.. not a firewall).

SDB
shinydiscoballs
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 14, 2006
Try this link: http://distrowatch.com/ , you can find all the major versions that include all the options you might need.

In the past i downloaded various flavours of linux, i had some old pc's and i setup a firewall (IPCOP) and later i used Mandrake linux.

Linux is very stable but it's different from Windows, in order to unleash the power of Unix-like O/S you have to have some serious experience in Unix. Even for me that i started with Unix some centuries ago it's difficult :D

I did though my experiments just for fun, here in Cyprus many companies are starting to use Linux for commercial use, but the market it's not ready yet to accept this turn.
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Linux is great Sep 03, 2006
I think using Linux in work envirement makes you a real super computer master because Windows is just a hell of alot of headach and plus the cost as well ! Linux is a bit hard for users to get used to it and you are as an IT admin or technician must know that your control in Linux Envirement is much much more powerful than Windows and by the way, IPcop as your firewall is a great firewall to protect you, easy to configure, and almost works like a router.

Thank you

Hemin-London
cisco4networking
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 04, 2006
linux as a proxy box or a router ! always rocks ! :twisted:

hips to the penguins
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Sep 04, 2006
i came to realize it's a cult issue, Linux vs Windows "debate" will never end, just, few points to make things clear and fast.

use Windows Server 2003 if you want the following:

1. Ease of use (compared to Linux) specially if you are upgrading from XP or 2000.

2. Compatibility, just name it! 90% of the apps out there run under windows.

3. Microsoft products integration, who are we fooling? MS office is the most powerful software suit and it's getting better with each new release! and now with the Dot Net framework integration with office 2007, nothing can stop them mofos.

4. MONEY.. yes, MS costs alot of money when it comes to buying "original" licensed sofware, but what you'll get from this software is worth every penny you put, specially when it comes to the experince.

5. for web programmers, full asp dot net support ofcourse, and ASP dot net is much faster than PHP :( even though i love PHP, ofcourse you can host an ASP site on a Linux box, but it'll never perform like it performs on a windows box, NEVER, it'll peform as slow as a heavy bad written code from the early 90s :P

ok now use Linux for:

1. gain solid experince in programming/scripting, as most linux dsitros provide "out of the box" tools to write a code.

2. security - because with linux you can nearly modify/rewrite anything since it's an open source OS.

3. stability - the reason is the same for 2 plus linux utlizes the resources better than Windows (from my experince).

4. MONEY .. it costs nothing download it and deploy it...

that's all ofcourse we are heading to an OS-Independandt IT world, where you can do whatever you want whever you want, but still, i'd pick windows over linux for any RAD company..
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk