Those Linux Fanboys...

Topic locked
Those Linux fanboys... May 27, 2007
...here in my office think they're soooo up there when I start to complain about Windows. I usually get the comment ''well that wouldn't be a problem if you used Linux.. blah blah". Yeah sure! Like it's the most user-friendly OS out there!
I'm not a Windows fanboy either but at least it has the interface. Not everyone on this planet is a programmer or knows some programming to be able to use Linux and make it recognize your USB thumbdrive, your WiFi, your usual-ordinary-stuffs, etc..
These guys keep bragging that since Linux is open source, you are free to do whatever you want with it (do what?? I am NOT a programmer!), Bill Gates does not own you, and it comes in different flavors (which makes it more confusing and inconsistent for poor little normal user me!). I just want to create my documents, browse the web, etc. like anyone would normally and easily do.
So Linux guys out there, please stop shoving your ultra-cool OS up our ordinary users' a$$es and stop making us think you're better than us, ok? :roll:

yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

May 27, 2007
I have used Linux on my work laptop and home PC for years now, but i do agree with you.

For me it is a work tool and its important as I can get my machine just how I need it. I work with Unix day in day out as well so its second nature to me. But at the same time it is asking to much to expect someone to have to recompile the kernel just so they can use there web cam on MSN.

Linux is still not there as a predominant desktop - its getting closer, but not yet.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jun 22, 2007
then you are useing the rong linux if you get unbutu from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download it has evryting ready to go you do not even have to install it works streight form the disk
will requize anything you put it wireless ready office in there loads of games looking for something that it has not got go to add remove software and search
esteve
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 23, 2007
Buy a mac and use OSX! It's the best desktop OS by far

or try Unbuntu. I think nowadays it's very easy to install and run etc
rAMrAID
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007
I use Windows and Fedora Core 7 which i find very stable. And when it comes to interface, well until very recently they failed to offer a stable working window manager (either KDA or Gnome.. Gnome is more stable though), themes integration and all such stuff. I choose beryl window manager which looks better than that of the Win Vista in terms of visual effects and usability. Plus, it requires mmmuch less resources.

As for other windows applications (eg. Photoshop) which are not as much Windows-y as Net Beans, Dot Net blabla , developing stuff, i use an emulator the last version of which is very ok :)

However, I must admit, that they still have to work to prove that Linux too can be a good alternative desktop OS to Windows.

One more thing... Ubuntu is unstable :) and it is normal. It is not a commercial project. I had so many problems with it.. I experienced compatibility problems with my hardware + when i wanted to have an ordinary dial up modem work with Ubuntu, it would not work. GUI is not synched well with the system files. Had to change files from the command line. They also have still work on it harder. So why should i use Ubuntu as a desktop if i have to spend hours trying to get it work with some piece of hardware? Apparently, ubuntu is not yet a satisfactory desktop solution. And neither does it fall into the category of linux server boxes.

But admit - the fact that you are using some great stuff for free does bring you a piece of joy :)
timo
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk