Non-Muslims Citing Koran Could Be Arrested

Topic locked
Non-Muslims citing Koran could be arrested Apr 09, 2011
The Malaysian government now wants to control how non-Muslims may read from the Koran.

Non-Muslims are now only able to cite the Koran for the purpose of understanding Islam.

They are barred from 'freely' understanding the meaning of the Koran or quoting the Muslim holy book without enough sincerity.

Malaysia is often cited as a 'moderate' Muslim majority nation, along with Indonesia which has recently banned public displays of religiosity for a Muslim minority sect in several provinces.

He added that while there was no law prohibiting non-Muslims from reciting verses from the Quran, they were only allowed to do so in an effort to know more about Islam.

He said there was no prohibition in Islam against non-Muslims who quote verses from the Quran if it was done to understand the religion.

“Based on the National Fatwa Council edict on Islamic affairs, the Government can take appropriate action against parties that abused Quranic verses for ulterior motives or to question Islamic practices.

Asked on the action of non-Muslims who cite the Quran at political ceramah, Jamil Khir said the council had, on Dec 3, 2010, issued an edict that non-Muslims who quoted or interpreted Quranic verses freely on their own understanding and do so without sincerity were deemed to have insulted the Holy Book.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... parliament

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Non-Muslims Citing Koran Could Be Arrested Apr 11, 2011
Refer to my post about the Corruption Perception Index , Should answer all you questions
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Non-Muslims citing Koran could be arrested Apr 11, 2011
I'm sure the Christians in Malaysia will feel less persecuted from now on.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums