Koran And Science

Topic locked
Re: Koran and Science Aug 01, 2010
shafique wrote:No, I'm not kidding you.

I'm asking you whether you have any evidence that there wasn't a village called Al Naml.

I'm also not kidding when I tell you that I'll always choose the logical/rational explanation instead of rejecting science like you have done in the case of the Bible's claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a day (but to be fair, you couldn't think of a scientific explanation for that, did you?)

Thus far, I repeat, you are the only one who has chosen to reject science. I am amused by your desperate attempts to get me to join you

Cheers,
Shafique

Do you have a non-Qadiani commentary which supports your Qadiani linguistic nonsense ?

If not, why do you think Muslims and non-Muslims are pretty unanimous in agreeing that the speaker in the passage quoted was an ant instead of a villager from 'al-Naml' ?

It seems like, if the passage allowed for that interpretation, just as many (if not more) Muslims would choose the rational over the 'irrational'.

Are you saying that most Muslims are irrational ?

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Koran And Science Aug 01, 2010
If you don't have any evidence that there wasn't a tribe called Al Naml - then you could just say so.

As I said, I'll take the rational explanation everytime. I therefore disagree with YOU - most definitely - and choose the rational explanation.

Now, do you believe in talking Donkeys as described in the Bible - as some Christians do, or do you side with the rational Christians who seek a non-literal interpretation? Which set of Christians is wrong?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 01, 2010
Hey, you could have an entire nation named 'al-Naml'.

Just find a non-Qadiani source to support the linguistic nonsense of your author.
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Aug 02, 2010
Why would I want to name a nation 'Al Naml' when God only says that Solomon and his army encountered a group of dwellers in a valley?

Strange boy.

As I said, until you can find any evidence that the rational explanation cannot apply, you're attempt to get me to join you and give up the rational explanation will continue to be futile.

But, everytime you ask the same questions - it gives me the opportunity to repeat my related question to you:

shafique wrote:Now, do you believe in talking Donkeys as described in the Bible - as some Christians do, or do you side with the rational Christians who seek a non-literal interpretation? Which set of Christians is wrong?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 02, 2010
You mean, ignoring the verse itself which doesn't allow for your 'rational' explanation ?

Hint: You haven't answered how Solomon can crush villagers without 'noticing it'.

But seriously, by calling your explanation 'rational', are you saying that Muslims who believe that Ants really were able to communicate in complex communication (and Solomon was able to understand) are irrational for their belief ?

More, how is one to believe that your interpretation is a rational interpretation given that the vast majority of people who read this passage come to the conclusion that the speakers in the verses in question were ants ?

To me, it says that your 'obvious' and 'rational' explanation is linguistic nonsense to anyone with basic comprehension of Arabic.
event horizon

I am indeed ignoring your chosen interpretation - and waiting for ANY evidence that the verses don't apply to a villager called Al Naml. Should you come across this evidence, let us know.

Now, do you believe in talking Donkeys as described in the Bible - as some Christians do, or do you side with the rational Christians who seek a non-literal interpretation? Which set of Christians is wrong?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 02, 2010
Hint: You haven't answered how Solomon could crush villagers without 'noticing it'.

I guess you can't find a non-Qadiani source explaining your Qadiani linguistic nonsense.
event horizon

shafique wrote:I am indeed ignoring your chosen interpretation - and waiting for ANY evidence that the verses don't apply to a villager called Al Naml. Should you come across this evidence, let us know.

I'm encouraged that you can't find any evidence for your desire to believe the irrational interpretation.

But I'm curious - are you ashamed to tell us whether you one of the Christians who believe that a donkey did indeed have a conversation (literally) as described in the Bible, or whether you are one of the Christians who say it didn't literally happen?

You believe that the sun could stop in the sky for a day, as described in the Bible, so it would be interesting to see if you agree with the Christians who believe that a donkey did indeed talk.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 04, 2010
My evidence is the lack of credibility your interpretation has.

Not only do mainstream Muslims not accept this supposedly valid and rational interpretation (makes you wonder why - when some liberal Muslims even go so far as to call this a myth) but the actual verse itself does not support your interpretation that the speakers in this verse were humans.

And you have not supplied one explanation how Solomon could travel through a village, crushing humans, without noticing what he was doing.
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Aug 04, 2010
You could have just said you have no evidence that the rational explanation that there was a tribe called the Al Naml and that your hopes have been dashed yet again.

So:
But I'm curious - are you ashamed to tell us whether you one of the Christians who believe that a donkey did indeed have a conversation (literally) as described in the Bible, or whether you are one of the Christians who say it didn't literally happen?

You believe that the sun could stop in the sky for a day, as described in the Bible, so it would be interesting to see if you agree with the Christians who believe that a donkey did indeed talk.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 04, 2010
event horizon wrote:
1. No science does not support your interpretation of these verses.

Great, so you agree with me that the Koran is scientifically wrong that ants can communicate with humans.

Let alone are capable of the complex speech/cognitive abilities the Koran accredits them with.

2. Al Naml refers to a tribe with that name.

LoL.

So your argument is that verse about talking ants actually refers to tribes people ?

Hmm, let's see the evidence.

Perhaps they're really small tribes people ?

Nowhere in quran God says that ants can communicate with humans. But in prophet solomon's case it's clear that God had given him special miracles as a prophet to understand the language of the ants. Just becouse God creates miracles out of ordinary rules of the nature he establishes doesn't mean that quran is scientifically wrong or that God doesn't run the universe without scientifict facts that we discover every day.. It's just that when God wants something to happen he just says "be" and it happens.. for that "be" to happen he doesn't always need the scientific formulation as a cause..
Have you read teleological causality
philosophy-dubai/teleological-causality-t40819.html

Anyways king/prophet Soloman was indeed one of the most blessed prophets, his life and story is very impressive too..I also enjoy reading the ancient kingdom of Israel and the amazing work of prophets of God to establish his religion amongst israelites.
http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/2501/

I haven't followed what Shafique wrote in each post but the surah 27 An-Naml refers to ants indeed and that's where it takes its name from.
http://quran.com/27
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Koran And Science Aug 05, 2010
Berrin - your view is exactly that of eh's when he explains why he believes the Sun stopped in the sky for a day as described in the Bible - i.e. it was a Miracle performed by God. He doesn't have a scientific explanation for the sun stopping in the sky - so 'it was a miracle' is the only explanation he gives.

I don't believe that God needs to break the laws of Nature (which He set up) to perform miracles in favour of His servants.

In the case of the Al Naml verses, there is a rational alternative to the 'it was a miracle' explanation - i.e. that the verse actually refers to a tribe called the Al Naml. It then becomes a matter of choice - whether to choose the 'it was a miracle, forget about science' angle that eh takes with the Bible, or the alternative 'God is describing an encounter with a people called Al Naml, in a valley and village named after ants'.

No rational explanation or evidence has been shown by eh which says Muslims can't choose the rational explanation.

The key word here is choose.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 05, 2010
Your argument is less than convincing when you can't even offer up an excuse for the verse in question.

I won't even bother with your linguistic nonsense - you can't defend it yourself.

Instead, you are simply repeating an argument that had no merit to begin with.
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Aug 05, 2010
I've not argued that my rational explanation will be convincing to a person who believes that the sun can stop in the sky for a day because the Bible says so, I've only asked whether you have any evidence that the rational explanation should be rejected.

Just because you wish it wasn't a valid explanation isn't evidence.

In the absence of evidence, then it becomes a matter of choice - whether to believe a scientifically absurd description (but less scientifically absurd than the Sun stopping in the sky) or a more rational explanation (that the verse refers to a tribe called Al Naml).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 05, 2010
Berrin - your view is exactly that of eh's when he explains why he believes the Sun stopped in the sky for a day as described in the Bible - i.e. it was a Miracle performed by God. He doesn't have a scientific explanation for the sun stopping in the sky - so 'it was a miracle' is the only explanation he gives.

Let's look at the purpose of miracles first..What makes a miracle "a miracle" is it’s supernatural qualities which cannot always be explained by science! The miracles of God, upon his wisdom, shared by all monotheistic religions, If we read the stories of prophets we can clearly see that In order to make each prophet credible, God granted them miracles, pertinent and understandable to the people to whom they were sent to attract them by millions to worship one and only creator and to implement and uphold the laws of him. In those times scientific research and discoveries were not advanced, as science was not used as a method for self-conviction to witness God’s existence in his every meticulous intelligent designs as we discover to be the facts/knowledge of today..
Hence the further humanity developes and monotheistic religions spread, the lesser the strength and influence of miracles become.

We can look at miracles from various dimensions too. Ie. Muslims believe that the way the Quran was formed and preserved as divine text is a continuous miracle of God. Also for instance I don’t believe that humans will create perfect humans from scratch without needing a human womb/body combination! Now, to me this is a total miracle that I think scientists will never be allowed to explain the whole process of our creation so as to not overwhelm the omnipotence/Omniscience attributes of the creator which in the end undoubtedly will lead scientists to accept the existence of a major outside force called God while of course they will be given the knowledge to cure diseases therefore prolong human life span.

When it comes to Eh’s case, he can use any excuse he wants to justify his belief in Christianity rather than islam or anything else. It doesn’t surprise me the fact that he uses God’s miracles to justify - the sun stopping in the sky for a day.. that’s simply because Christianity too was fed from the same divine source as Islam is.

Muslims shouldn’t base their dissussions with christians on the proof of what God can do and cannot “in the light of science/the law of the nature” but rather it should be on the bases that islam is the final message and religion of the same God who is the source of all monotheistic religions.
So as Muslims our only proof is the Islamic texts to convey and convince, and if we can find scientific explanations in support of quranic texts than we can use them whenever possible, otherwise we cannot challenge one religion against the other over the strength of Gods power, as islam already superseded prior monotheistic religions and that we are no longer able to assess the originality of the biblical texts since islam's arrival.

It a bit like Shafique you saying that muslims don’t eat pork becouse scientist find a lot of harm in pork meat but rather becouse God commands us to not eat it in the first place thus any scientific explanation make Islamic revelations no more worth or less then what they are other than just prop Gods statements.

I don't believe that God needs to break the laws of Nature (which He set up) to perform miracles in favour of His servants.

I don’t think God breaks the laws of nature at all. When he allows miracles he does it upon his own will or to intervene where humans are found in odd situations in which intervention becomes the part of his justice due to human free will or just by the determination of divine destiny which are all along within the knowledge of God.
ie. While most people jump to commit sucide from 200 mts high bridge, will die instantly, some will jump but survive also with minor damages as part of God’s miracle which happens over human free will and divine destiny working together- all within the knowledge of God. Otherwise scientifically we would have no choice but to suggest that someone who jumps from such hight should really die if not instantly at least through major internal damages.But this is not always an evidence..

In the case of the Al Naml verses, there is a rational alternative to the 'it was a miracle' explanation - i.e. that the verse actually refers to a tribe called the Al Naml.

Never heard of this. Can you please give me links to read?

I don’t believe that in surah where ants were referred as An-Naml was actually the name of a tribe. The verse with ants is very clear to distinguish and I feel that it does not need rational alternative as prophet Solomon and his army marched towards the area known as Sheba but not Al-Naml.
http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/2435/viewall/

It then becomes a matter of choice - whether to choose the 'it was a miracle, forget about science' angle that eh takes with the Bible, or the alternative 'God is describing an encounter with a people called Al Naml, in a valley and village named after ants'.

Shafique I am much interested to hear how other muslims interpret your point of view?
Since English is your native language, Do you think you can go online to debate with islamreligion.com and tell us how it all went?

Thanks..
Btw, I searched the net but couldn't find relevant info to debate here other than this one :lol: ..
http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/in ... 41135.html
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Koran And Science Aug 06, 2010
Berrin, I have a simple test when it comes to making a choice between a rational explanation and one that requires us to believe God suspended the laws of nature, I choose the rational one every time.

Here's a reference from the web giving a rational explanation of Al Naml v 18:
http://www.alquran-karim.com/anNaml.html#2157

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 06, 2010
Ah, I see that the website you linked to links to books about the Koran written by your friend, Rashad Kalifa (who may have been assassinated by radical Muslims).

Yeah, definitely mainstream.
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Aug 06, 2010
shafique wrote:Berrin, I have a simple test when it comes to making a choice between a rational explanation and one that requires us to believe God suspended the laws of nature, I choose the rational one every time.

Shafique, brother..God confirms that he is the owner of miracles and that they are no cheats and that they were not meant to break the laws of nature..
I am sure you know that Prophet Mohammad’s opponents demanded miracles too , such as those performed by previous prophets, but the quran stated clearly that such miracles would not be forthcoming.

And We refrain from sending the signs, only because the men of former generations treated them as false: We sent the she-camel to the Thamud to open their eyes, but they treated her wrongfully: We only send the Signs by way of terror (and warning from evil). (17:59)

God even had this to say to the Prophet:

If you find their aversion hard to bear (and would like to show them a miracle), seek if you can a tunnel in the ground or ladder to the sky by which you may bring them a sign. Had God pleased, He would have given them guidance, one and all. Do not be ignorant then. (6:35)

Instead, the revealed Book of God was made into the Prophet’s miracle:

They ask: ‘Why are not signs sent down upon him from his Lord?’
Say: ‘The signs are only with Allah, and I am only a plain warner.’ Is it not enough for them that we have sent down to thee the Book which is rehearsed to them? Verily, in it is Mercy and a Reminder to those who believe. (Qur’an, 29:50-51)

Here's a reference from the web giving a rational explanation of Al Naml v 18:
http://www.alquran-karim.com/anNaml.html#2157

This is a deviant site,it is un-islamic in the sense that they too are sceptical and reject God’s miracles therefore the language they used for interpretation of Arabic texts reads irrational and inconsistent compared to the mainstream translations of the quran.

ie. Despite they translate that Solomon had battalion of birds as his army and hudhud being the name of one of the birds, they will go on and strangely deny this in their Tafsir claiming that hudhud wasn’t actually a bird and that it wasn’t the birds language that Solomon could understand.

On the other hand in Surat Al- Fil (105) they reluctantly accept that the Ababil birds were the miracle armies of the God! Still they were ashamed to translate that ababil birds were striking with hard stones of clay from heights but instead eating the dead bodies, striking them against stones of clay…..Very very strange…..

Regarding the ants Shafique, I found on this site that the ants make acoustic communication through the air with wavelengths they generate. So it wouldn’t surprise me if prophet solomon received wavelengths to understand the language of ants from far, as he was to use and control the wind by the will of God (21:81)
http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet ... ypassSSO=1
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Koran And Science Aug 07, 2010
Berrin, I do believe in miracles - absolutely.

However, I don't believe God would break His own laws of nature to perform them - I think He would have planned to be able to show miracles without having to stop the earth rotating for a day like eh believes.

Allah also says the Quran contains metaphorical verses. Tafsir's and respected scholars have written about what a 'bird' means in terms of metaphor when applied to descriptions of men. In fact it is a common use even to this day.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran And Science Aug 08, 2010
shafique wrote:Berrin, I do believe in miracles - absolutely.
However, I don't believe God would break His own laws of nature to perform them

Well that’s exactly why I said that miracles are not meant to break natural laws and that they only happen because God wills them so..At the end of the day he is Al-Muqtadir and Al-Qawiyy..for anything and everthing for any moment to happen.

I think He would have planned to be able to show miracles without having to stop the earth rotating for a day like eh believes.

Eh is prepared to believe in anything as long as he can wrestle with the God of islam. :evil:

Miracles are only miracles when humans can experience/witness them live(when they have no control over the outcome), otherwise they are subject to proof/performance via natural laws.

having “the power” to stop rotating the earth for a day is one thing, having “the will” to show his servants that he can stop the earth to rotate for a day is another thing. In this case it cannot be a miracle for humans since it couldn’t have been witnessed through bare human eyes and senses, otherwise to claim it to happen or happened is subject to natural laws for evidence.. This is why I think it cannot be a miracle.. even today if God willed to stop rotating the earth for a day, we couldn’t have possibly felt it unless we were reported it, as being extraordinary through the visual and scientific evidences provided by the astronomers..

Allah also says the Quran contains metaphorical verses. Tafsir's and respected scholars have written about what a 'bird' means in terms of metaphor when applied to descriptions of men. In fact it is a common use even to this day.

Yes I agree that there are words which have both metaphorical and ambiguous meanings,as explained here..
http://muslim-canada.org/quran_interpretation.html

I accept that as a proof of God, quran has dynamic verses to be interpreted by new generations to come, so what we understood as metaphoric word in the past, can be as clear as its literal meaning today… as in this example…
http://miraclesofthequran.net/scientific_30.html

In centuries to come, there will be many new discoveries both social/scientific to help us understand why certain things described using certain patterns of worlds and styles. But when our understanding is limited and without evidential proof, then I much rather stick to the mainstream authorised translation of the quran. Otherwise I feel that people just cease to care about it, as there would be utter confusion, not knowing which one to believe.
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Koran And Science Aug 09, 2010
Ah, we seem to have let off young eh from answering the question posed to him about talking donkeys.

But let us remind him of the question.

shafique wrote:I am indeed ignoring your chosen interpretation - and waiting for ANY evidence that the verses don't apply to a villager called Al Naml. Should you come across this evidence, let us know.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 14, 2010
Berrin has already shown that the Biblical passage is fully compatible with science.

Now, do you have a non-Qadiani commentary/website that agrees with your nonsense interpretation ?
event horizon

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums