Dating Etiquette

Topic locked
Dating etiquette Nov 10, 2008
Ok a question that I have about approaching women in Dubai as an expat.

I'm a 28 year old non-denominational American (looking to relocate to Dubai at the moment). I think Persian women are absolutely gorgeous, and was really attracted to several women I saw in public that were wearing traditional Arabic dress.

I'm curious about the etiquette surrounding approaching these women. I noticed there seemed to be the much more traditional (and seemingly unapproachable) women in the very traditional dress with only the eyes showing, but several times noticed groups of younger ladies that were still somewhat traditional, but did not have their heads covered and seemed to be more available...

I apologize in advance about my ignorance on the subject, but figured the only way I would learn is to ask! Plus, I think it's much safer to hear what people recommend rather than approaching them the way I'm used to here, and stepping on an accepted custom I wasn't aware of.

Thanks!

-Mike

Mdmaiorano
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 10, 2008
Do not speak unless spoken to first.
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 11, 2008
Girls in traditional dress (its called an Abaya) tend to wear it in public to show local men that they are 'good girls'. Its a little hypocritical as the guys will chase a western girl down the road and try and proposition her because she is hot looking and wearing nice clothes, but they have a protocol when it comes to their own.

The headscarf is called a 'Sheyla' and is to cover the hair which is seen as a very attractive and possibly 'immoral thought' feature of a woman. You will often see muslim women wearing western dress but wearing the sheyla as a sign of deference.

Arabic girls tend to stick with Arabic guys as it is frowned upon by their families not to 'conform'. Family comes first here.

Good luck!

:) :) :)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 12, 2008
what about the non emirati women? Are they generally nice and open to meeting men or do they expect to see your checkbook first? Since I'm arabic looking I guess I could try telling them my father owns a couple of oil wells in Saudi Arabia hahaha
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2008
Pimpin80 wrote:what about the non emirati women? Are they generally nice and open to meeting men or do they expect to see your checkbook first? Since I'm arabic looking I guess I could try telling them my father owns a couple of oil wells in Saudi Arabia hahaha

They would see through that straight away...all the oil wells in Saudi are owned by the Royal family!

Most of them will look you up and down and weigh up if you are a poor creep or a rich creep, then decide. Only rich creeps get the cream.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 12, 2008
Pimpin80 wrote:what about the non emirati women? Are they generally nice and open to meeting men or do they expect to see your checkbook first? Since I'm arabic looking I guess I could try telling them my father owns a couple of oil wells in Saudi Arabia hahaha

Make sure you Nissan Sunny key has a Lamborgini keychain at the other end. And pointed shoes that curl up almost 6 inches beyond your toes. Lots of gel in the hair.
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 12, 2008
Persian? Tut tut, for a start that would be Iranian! And they tend not to wear the abaya. Geez the Iranians I know are the ones with it all on display.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 13, 2008
Iranian women are independent spirits. In the States Iranians call themselves Persian. I don't know why. Arabic women can be scary and domineering.

Why don't you find yourself a nice Persian Zoroastrian or Bahai instead of a Muslim?

How about the Filipinas? :roll: :roll: 8) :lol: :lol: :P
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 13, 2008
puppypup wrote:Iranian women are independent spirits. In the States Iranians call themselves Persian. I don't know why. Arabic women can be scary and domineering.

Why don't you find yourself a nice Persian Zoroastrian or Bahai instead of a Muslim?

How about the Filipinas? :roll: :roll: 8) :lol: :lol: :P

Lets not go there!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 13, 2008
Well the royal family is composed of over 30 000 people, and Khaled is very popular in Saudi Arabia, so I could try something like "Hi my name is Khaled Al Saoud" and then flash my best used car salesman smile, with my fake lambo key of course! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2008
I am Khaled Al Saoud...........
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 14, 2008
If you're Khaled Al Saoud, then prove it by finding me a job in the DIFC...

;-)
Mdmaiorano
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 15, 2008
hahaha nahhhh I'm sure I'm better than him when it comes to the ladies anyway. I'm the guy the doctor's wife runs to when he leaves for work. If you're a (boring) doctor, make sure I don't meet your wife, I might offer to "entertain her" in your absence :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2008
free of charge of course!
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 26, 2008
i'm i actually reading what i'm reading? a pervert who can't keep his pervertness towards his own people, and every one else not showing local women any respect, and saying that they are only after the money? not to mention that they only wear the abaya just to "show" that they are good girls? so they want to look like good girls infront of the men, and they are not from the inside?
i realy am ashamed of what i'm reading
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 27, 2008
General_A: There is such a thing as a sense of humour, lots of people get offended over nothing on this forum, for some obscure reason that I can't quite grasp. Besides, beeing a success with the ladies doesn't make you a pervert...Down here in North America, we call someone like you a PLAYA HATA! 8)
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2008
Pimpin80 wrote:General_A: There is such a thing as a sense of humour, lots of people get offended over nothing on this forum, for some obscure reason that I can't quite grasp. Besides, beeing a success with the ladies doesn't make you a pervert...Down here in North America, we call someone like you a PLAYA HATA! 8)

then keep it in north america, with the north american women. PLAYA :wink:
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 29, 2008
general_A wrote:
Pimpin80 wrote:General_A: There is such a thing as a sense of humour, lots of people get offended over nothing on this forum, for some obscure reason that I can't quite grasp. Besides, beeing a success with the ladies doesn't make you a pervert...Down here in North America, we call someone like you a PLAYA HATA! 8)

then keep it in north america, with the north american women. PLAYA :wink:

I only gave a stupid reply to your dumb comment. My post about the doctor's wife was something I like to call a joke, but you obviously prefered using it to call me names and stir up some moral debate. Besides, don't worry, I'm only going after women who come from places where it's normal to do so. I never talked about the local emiratis, they were not even implicitly included. I think you need to chill out man 8)
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2008
Relax.. Relax..Dun fight.. Cool man.. Jes ignore man..
ivanlim84
Dubai Forum User

Dec 23, 2008
The truth hurts..aw!
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance