Dating In Dubai

Topic locked
Dating in Dubai Mar 23, 2008
Hi everyone.

I have read quite a lot of this forum, and feel it's time to step out of the shadows..

I am looking to go to Dubai for work this year. I am an Aussie, 33, tall, fit and healthy, normal type of bloke. I am not trying to pick up now as obviously I live in Australia, just looking to get a feel of the singles scene from a few perspectives really.

I would like to meet expats with similar interests when I go over.

What is the dating scene like in Dubai?
From what I read, it seems people are more interested in casual relationships, than long term (casual is not really my thing). Would that be correct?

The laws of living together while unmarried would make it difficult I assume.

Do many people not have time for getting out and meeting people, and focus on their careers mostly?

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on the matter.

blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Re: Dating in Dubai Mar 23, 2008
blue moon wrote:What is the dating scene like in Dubai?

I would say highly active, but it is also a small city, so can be a little incestuous at times. i.e. in my circle of friends there's quite a few people who have all slept with each other.

From what I read, it seems people are more interested in casual relationships, than long term (casual is not really my thing). Would that be correct?

There are people here who are only interested in a casual relationship, and there are people here who are interested in more. Its a bit of a mix.

The laws of living together while unmarried would make it difficult I assume.

Not really. The laws of living together unmarried are rarely enforced unless you're a total tard and make a scene or give cause for them to be applied. i.e. keep your head down and behave and you will be ok.

Do many people not have time for getting out and meeting people, and focus on their careers mostly?

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on the matter.

There are a few types of people:

1. Career focused, want to make as much money or grow their career as best as possible and don't usually have time for a relationship.

2. Balanced - focus on a mix of building their career but without sacrificing their social life.

3. Party animals - here for a good time, not a long time. Drink, root, sleep around, turn up to work hungover all the time, not saving not progressing - but having one helluva great time whilst doing it.

And then you get various shades of grey in between.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 23, 2008
I think you pretty much nailed it Ian.

I hate the dating scene here, it's a nightmare, really hard to find anyone genuine.

Think I'll just become a nun.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 23, 2008
Gosh Blue Moon... wish I was single!!!
:wink: :wink:
Anteater
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 23, 2008
Thanks Ian :)
Chocoholic - Surely, it is no fun being a nun..
Anteater - lol. Thanks for the confidense boost.. something I needed after my recent breakup...At least now I am free to search for a job OS..

So the way I see it is due to Dubai being a small city there is not many degrees of seperation between people? Don't go burning any bridges, eh, lol.

All the other issues I raised seem to be no real different to other cities...

Well, hopefully I have not left it too late to catch a ride on the Dubai express :D
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 23, 2008
Degrees of seperation are indeed small, the place can be like a village at times, and everyone knows everything about everyone else. Trying to keep a lid on here is very difficult indeed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2008
dating scene in Dubai - mostly "plastic" ...

on the personal note - may I ask why did you call yourself a "blue moon"???? ... :roll: .
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 26, 2008
[quote="JMK"]dating scene in Dubai - mostly "plastic" ...

quote]
well, thats disapointing. I am too career focused to bother with the whole "player" scene..

lol...let's just say it is a play on words of my name. I didn't really think when registering.

It's not meant to signify anything really, no double meanings...
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 26, 2008
blue moon wrote:lol...let's just say it is a play on words of my name. I didn't really think when registering.

It's not meant to signify anything really, no double meanings...

(huge sigh of relief) ... :) ..
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 26, 2008
I got it
Your name is : Lue Bmoon .. :) .
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Dating in Dubai Mar 26, 2008
blue moon wrote:I am looking to go to Dubai for work this year. I am an Aussie, 33, tall, fit and healthy, normal type of bloke. I am not trying to pick up now as obviously I live in Australia, just looking to get a feel of the singles scene from a few perspectives really.

You mean like you are not a wolf?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
Seems relationships don't count for much over there.

I love my job, and would really like to get some international experience and challenges. Surely not everyone in Dubai is plastic?
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Re: Dating in Dubai Mar 26, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:
blue moon wrote:I am looking to go to Dubai for work this year. I am an Aussie, 33, tall, fit and healthy, normal type of bloke. I am not trying to pick up now as obviously I live in Australia, just looking to get a feel of the singles scene from a few perspectives really.

You mean like you are not a wolf?

BabyDoll - don't scare him away... we don't have enough 33, strong, healthy and normal males in Dubai ....
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 26, 2008
blue moon wrote:Seems relationships don't count for much over there.

What you have in this city is a rather large bunch of young crowd (under 30) who is still enjoying life, party as if there is no tomorrow. When you hit 30 and over, there is a difference. Most of us hit mid life crisis at this stage :P no i am just joking :lol:
Then you have the above 40 and I will just leave it at at ! 8)
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
BD, what do you mean there's a difference when you're over 30?!

hehehe - the 30 - 40 year old crowd still party like there's no tomorrow, it's like they're rediscovering their student days - uhum!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2008
But then they will have their own corner in the club with the 40 - 50 crowd :P
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2008
JMK - Not quite.... :D
Baby Doll - Wolf? Not a term used in Australia, although I can probably guess what you mean. If my assumption is correct, the answer would be no.

Scare me away...Not a chance. I have looked into it for quite some time, and am very commited.

Just one small problem... A job :) I'm confident I can secure one, just depends if it is the right one..
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 26, 2008
Ok, since I am bored..here we go:

Your name is: Noble Umo?
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 26, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:BD, what do you mean there's a difference when you're over 30?!

hehehe - the 30 - 40 year old crowd still party like there's no tomorrow, it's like they're rediscovering their student days - uhum!

Oh yes. I forgot !! :lol:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
JMK wrote:Ok, since I am bored..here we go:

Your name is: Noble Umo?

HA HA. He is probably a personal trainer with huge biceps :lol:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
blue moon wrote:Scare me away...Not a chance. I have looked into it for quite some time, and am very commited.

In what? The job? or the relationship?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
I don't mean to scare anyone else away lol. I am not asking for any favours regarding a job in this thread.

Just guaging the social scene in Dubai. I think I have a bit more of a picture of how things are now. There is only so much you can find out about a place from google and reading...

JMK - Sorry to lead you astray. Blue moon has relevance to my real name, but is not made up from the letters if that makes sense?

Baby Doll - not a personal trainer. I work in the audio visual industry.
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 26, 2008
blue moon wrote:I don't mean to scare anyone else away lol. I am not asking for any favours regarding a job in this thread.

Just guaging the social scene in Dubai. I think I have a bit more of a picture of how things are now. There is only so much you can find out about a place from google and reading...

JMK - Sorry to lead you astray. Blue moon has relevance to my real name, but is not made up from the letters if that makes sense?

Baby Doll - not a personal trainer. I work in the audio visual industry.

We are having a go at you, newbie. Get use to it here. Wait till you meet Concord and Ian and the other banterers 8)

p/s learn how to use the quote function, otherwise you get branded for life - like me :wink:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:In what? The job? or the relationship?

Well I was talking about the former, but I mean the latter as well..
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 26, 2008
BabyDoll wrote: We are having a go at you, newbie. Get use to it here. Wait till you meet Concord and Ian and the other banterers 8)

p/s learn how to use the quote function, otherwise you get branded for life - like me

No offence taken.. :)

I'm used to different forums with different quoting system..

So what area do most expats live? I am not a fan of traffic, and would prefer to be in the centre possibly the marina, although i'm sure it would be getting pretty expensive there these days..
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 26, 2008
blue moon wrote:
JMK - Sorry to lead you astray. .

ahhh...men.... :twisted: :lol: .
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 26, 2008
Cheerio peoples...I'm off to bed.

It's nearly midnight, and I don't want to turn into a pumpkin..
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 26, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:
blue moon wrote:Seems relationships don't count for much over there.

What you have in this city is a rather large bunch of young crowd (under 30) who is still enjoying life, party as if there is no tomorrow. When you hit 30 and over, there is a difference. Most of us hit mid life crisis at this stage :P no i am just joking :lol:
Then you have the above 40 and I will just leave it at at ! 8)

:) :) mid life crisis.. :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 27, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:
blue moon wrote:Scare me away...Not a chance. I have looked into it for quite some time, and am very commited.

In what? The job? or the relationship?

Sorry about the confusion...Commited in securing a position in dubai. Yes! Commited in furthering my career? Yes! Regarding a relationship... Well, that's another story. In my experience many women are very pretentious, and that is not a very attractive atribute for them to have. I'm sure Dubai would not be an exception to this generalisation.

I'm sure I will find her one day. I thought a had, but that is no more...
blue moon
Dubai Forum User

Mar 27, 2008
Hmmm the forum ladies get a little overzealous once again, watch out BM, they'll eat you alive!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance