Custom Made Clip On Sunglasses

Topic locked
Custom made clip on sunglasses Mar 25, 2006
To all my fellow visually impaired forum members, is there anyplace in Dubai that sells/makes custom clip on’s i.e. I already have a pair of eye glasses but they didn’t come with a clip, there is not one available so I’m looking to make a custom one.

Anybody here able to suggest a place to go?

Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 27, 2006
Mmmm. well friend, I was looking for such a thing last year, and I only found ready made ones in Dubai' Airport Shops the ones you see before going to the gates ! mmm... but I think and I am not sure that there are alot of shops that can help you with that in Sharjah Area, near Al Zahra Hospital. Well I gave up on this, and decided to go for a custom made sunglasses, that is making powered lenses for ur sunglasses !! and it is cool !
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Mar 27, 2006
Thanks Man, I'll give Sharjah a try and see if i can find anything there. I've also considered prescription sunglasses as well, if I have no luck I’ll go that route.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 27, 2006
Fayz,

Why dont you consider having your lenses replaced with photocromic ones, that react to the light.

They come in grey or brown tints and much better than clip on's.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 27, 2006
I have the same problem when I want to wear my glasses Fayz.

Arniegang, I've looked into those and you can only have them if you have under a certain prescription strength. Apparently, I'm too blind for those photochromic lenses :)

I'm going to get my old pair of glasses coated to turn them into sunglasses. Most of the time I wear daily contact lenses with regular sunglasses. The disposable daily lenses mean I have less eye irritation. Have you tried those Fayz?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 27, 2006
arniegang wrote:Fayz,

Why dont you consider having your lenses replaced with photocromic ones, that react to the light.

They come in grey or brown tints and much better than clip on's.

I'm not a fan as they always seem to be a light shade of grey or brown when indoors and never get as dark as I'd like them to be out. they do have pluses though, just not for me, good suggestion for others though :) A lot of people like them.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 27, 2006
kanelli wrote:Arniegang, I've looked into those and you can only have them if you have under a certain prescription strength. Apparently, I'm too blind for those photochromic lenses :)

I'm going to get my old pair of glasses coated to turn them into sunglasses. Most of the time I wear daily contact lenses with regular sunglasses. The disposable daily lenses mean I have less eye irritation. Have you tried those Fayz?
[/quote]

I'm going to get my old pair of glasses coated to turn them into sunglasses. Most of the time I wear daily contact lenses with regular sunglasses. The disposable daily lenses mean I have less eye irritation. Have you tried those Fayz?[/quote]
I'm not sure how blind you are but i'm a -12.00 and they come in my prescription, also a card holding member of the CNIB :) I have a problem where i can't get daily disposables, they only come in -8. I found getting reduced water contacts help my wearability in Dubai. i.e. in Canada i use to where 55% but here i wear 38%, I use monthlies, that work great for me, i change them on average every 2 weeks. I just wanted to start wearing glasses a little more as I always wear contacts and unless you’re wearing RGP lenses all others including daily disposables reduce oxygen to the eyes so I was exploring alternatives.

When I go back home I’ll get some custom clips made, I have a really nice pair of glasses that I’m partial to and they only cost about CDN 80 to make clips for any glasses back home, I’m just not planning to go home for a while yet.

The idea of tinting an old pair is great, a lot of people do this but I use glass not plastic lenses and they have an AR coat so tinting after the fact won't work, at least i don't believe it will.

thanks for all the suggestions though guys, glad i'm not the only one in this boat :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 27, 2006
My wife bought a new pair of Versace glasses a few weeks ago and when worn inside they have no tint visible at all, and well dark when out in sun.

Maybe worth checking Fayz, i suppose the new ones now maybe better than they used to be.
arniegang

Mar 27, 2006
she may be using transistions, they are the plastic equiv of photocromatic, they are much better but even their high index is only upto a -6. I'll check it out though, thanks.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 27, 2006
thats the name Fayz - Transitions

worth a nosey i think mate
arniegang

Apr 16, 2006
well i think i know now why i can't wear contacts anymore, I use Renu solution. I have my apoint with the opthomologist this week :cry:

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/06 ... 33442.html

For the rest of you, please learn from my misfortune, switch solutions until things are straightened out.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 16, 2006
any luck with the sunglasses? I want aviators but all the shops are telling me we cant do those prescription since they are too curved :(
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2006
Ooohohohohohoh, when I used to wear glasses. I found that in Dubai you can buy buy glasses which come with clip-ons. They attached using little magnets to the bridge of the glasses. They were ingenius. I got them from the opticians in the Al Ain centre in Bur Dubai.

I don't need glasses anymore, I took the plunge and had laser surgery, best money I ever spent.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 16, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Ooohohohohohoh, when I used to wear glasses. I found that in Dubai you can buy buy glasses which come with clip-ons. They attached using little magnets to the bridge of the glasses. They were ingenius. I got them from the opticians in the Al Ain centre in Bur Dubai.

I don't need glasses anymore, I took the plunge and had laser surgery, best money I ever spent.

how long it's been since the surgery, I am thinking to get one, but still think what if in couple of years your eye sight get even worse
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 16, 2006
MaaaD wrote:any luck with the sunglasses? I want aviators but all the shops are telling me we cant do those prescription since they are too curved :(

Aviators don't have that much of a curve, unless you really have a strong astigmatism? I got my Oakleys which have a huge curve done no prob.

And Choco it is a very small world, I use Optx 20/20 in Al Ain Centre, I'd recommend them, great people.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 16, 2006
IMJ, it's been about 5 years now and I've had no problems what so ever. The only thing I find is when I'm driving at night the lights can splay out a bit with a sort of halo, but hey it used to happen all the time with glasses, so no big deal. Also my eyes are a bit more sensitive to light than they used to be, but so far I've had no deterioration. I went from a +6 to 20/20 vision - amazing.

If you're considering it, it something that requires a lot of research and thought before doing, afterall it's your eyesight we're talking about.

The procedure itself is pretty straight forward, just a little uncomfortable, and the smell is a bit gross - like burning hair.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 16, 2006
Chocs, what do you mean by light splays? I'm due to get my eyes done when I take my summer vacation.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2006
Chocs

Can you tell us where you had your eyes done and cost please.
arniegang

Apr 16, 2006
fayz wrote:
MaaaD wrote:any luck with the sunglasses? I want aviators but all the shops are telling me we cant do those prescription since they are too curved :(

Aviators don't have that much of a curve, unless you really have a strong astigmatism?

No i dont .. the guy at Yateem in MoE basically told me they cannot do aviators or any of the curved glasses i guess he was just full of shit :)

And Choco it is a very small world, I use Optx 20/20 in Al Ain Centre, I'd recommend them, great people.

i gotta check that place out :)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2006
Ok light splays, erm how do I describe this, ok put on some glasses and smudge your fingers or a bit of vaseline over the lenses and you'll get the general idea. It doesn't happen to everyone, just some people, depending on your astigmatism. Kinda like when you go to the optician and they ask you to look at the little red and green lights and they take out the lense of the test glasses altogether and instead of you seeing the light clearly in a circle, light spreads out around it causing a sort of halo effect. It's no major thing, as I used to get it all the time with glasses, it just makes my eyes tired quickly.

Wow the cost? Erm looking back I think it was about 1,200 pounds per eye. Obviously the worse your prescription the higher the cost as it take more effort to get it right. I had it done at Ultralase in Birmngham, UK. Using the Lasik system.

You have to wear clear non prescription glasses and eye shields at night - you look like the fly - for 2 weeks afterwards as the lense of your eye has to heal as it's been cut and moved off so the laser can do it's thing, then they flip it back onto your eye and it takes a while to heal. You're not allowed to touch, rub or put anything in, on or around your eyes apart from the prescribed drops.

One piece of advice, take a really dark pair of sunglasses with you when you have it done. A couple of hours later your eyes will be so light sensitive any light at all will be unbearable. I sat in a dark room for the afternoon and went to bed as I literally couldn't open my eyes, everything was sooooo bright. Woke up the next day and virtually perfect vision.

Now don't expect things to be perfect straight away! Your eyesight should be much better straight after the op, then the next morning, but it's a gradual improvement that might take several weeks or even a few months for your eyes to become their best post-op. Take someone with you and for goodness sake don't drive!!! Expect not to drive for a few days afterwards, the doc will give you the OK on that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 17, 2006
How does it compare with the cost in Dubai Chocs?
arniegang

Apr 17, 2006
arniegang wrote:How does it compare with the cost in Dubai Chocs?

I've been looking into this a bit as well, I've been told by several sources that you are better off going to Jordan then doing it locally. I know many that have. Costs here from what i've been seeing are about AED 8k/eye locally. they are cheaper in Jordan but more importantly they are supposed to be much better. But from your comments in another thread you are experiencing presbiopia i.e. you need reading glasses, this is caused by the weakening of your eye muscles and Lasik although will correct your eyes for the short term any legitimate doctor will not recommend it in your case as it will impede your long distance vision. For individuals like yourself, if vanity is an issue you can consider getting contacts one for your distance vision and one for your reading/near, the dominant eye for each distance will compensate for the other or you can consider progressives. Inter Ocular Lens implants would also be an option for you, they would be a similar solution to the contact lens thing.

Btw did I mention I am actually a licensed optician and hold an ophthalmic degree ;), I've also seem many botched surgeries (they usually make the best labs but I’d hate to be the guy on the other end).

Choco gave you the best advice, really research it and make sure you’re comfortable with the risk vs. reward return.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 17, 2006
Fayz - where did you get your Oakleys glased with prescription lenses? Was it at the Al Ain centre?

Also, isn't most of the cost of Oakleys the quality of their lenses? Does it defeat the purpose of having them reglazed??

(I'm a spectacle wearer and have your problem of having to switch to sun glasses - it's a pain. I've considered laser surgery too - but am not quite convinced yet, despite having friends in the UK who have had it done. )

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 17, 2006
shafique wrote:Fayz - where did you get your Oakleys glased with prescription lenses? Was it at the Al Ain centre?

Also, isn't most of the cost of Oakleys the quality of their lenses? Does it defeat the purpose of having them reglazed??

(I'm a spectacle wearer and have your problem of having to switch to sun glasses - it's a pain. I've considered laser surgery too - but am not quite convinced yet, despite having friends in the UK who have had it done. )

Cheers,
Shafique

No I got them done in Canada, I have yet to make prescription sunglasses here, although i'm planning to go there to get some sunnies made in a couple hours. (generic brown tints in an old pair of Adidas lenses with a significant curve in them, Al Ain people said they could do it though)

Oakley, Ray Ban, Serengetti, Vaurnet and i'm guessing others actually do make prescription lens or offer services to get your lenses coated post grinding. For my oakleys I used serengetti lenses with Anti Relefective and mirrored front coatings, how it works is you get the lenses, your optican cuts your prescription in them (usually required as many people have astigmatisms at least to some degree) then the lenses go for coating, it is not cheap and takes time but in the end you get your prescription in a professional grade sport lens.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 17, 2006
oh one thing though i would not recommend getting polarized lenses if your prescription is really bad, it never seems to work really well.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 18, 2006
Just a quick follow up, the place in Al Ain said they would not do it, a bit frustrating because the first time i was there with glasses in hand they said they could :(

It was because my prescription was too high and to fit the frame i would need high index lenses which would not work well with a wrapped frame, they did tell me that anyone with a -4 or less would have no prob though, so there may be hope for some of you :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 18, 2006
Sorry to hear that Fayz. I'm a -3 and so there is some hope.

I have a pair of D&G frames with prescription sun glasses - but they aren't wrap around - Ideally I'd like something like the oakleys, but no sweat for now.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 18, 2006
Hey Fayz,

I've had regular check ups ever since the surgery and no-one has told me that I need reading glasses. My long distance vision is really good.

Upto the last minute before my surgery, the surgeon was talking to his superior at their Harley Street clinic in London as they wanted to make absolutely sure that I was suitable for it, if he wasn't happy, he wasn't going to do it.

My eyesight is far better now than it ever was with glasses. Like I said the night thing doesn't bother me in the slightest, I barely notice it now, plus the halo thing has gradually imroved over time as my eyes have compensated for it.

I've heard that the South African lady based in the Fairmont is excellent with Lasik! My mother wwas looking into it with her, but sadly her eyes are not suitable for the procedure.

But many people over estimate the difference they'll get. If your eyesight is really bad then they might only be able to improve it enough to warrant readin or driving glasses. Correcting long sighted vision is much much harder. With short sightedness it is possible to repeat the procedure to improve on the original result, but not so for people who're long sighted. It's all very complicated which is why it requires a lot of research. And I would never trust a surgeon who wouldn't refuse to do the op if he wasn't sure it would give good results.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 18, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Hey Fayz,

I've had regular check ups ever since the surgery and no-one has told me that I need reading glasses. My long distance vision is really good.

No no no my friend you mis read my note, the Prespiopia (requirement for reading glasses) was directed to Arnie, not anything to do with the surgery, in one of the other posts he said he needs to keep moving papers further away to read them, this is a sign of Prespiopia and all of us will get this at least to some degree the muscles in the eye get weaker with age, I was saying Lasik is not a remedy for this. You are/were a Hyperopic i.e. far sighted (+6) not the same thing you just had a funky shaped eye. I'd blame your grandma on your moms side :lol: :lol:
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 18, 2006
Fayz - you're a wealth of knowledge man!

Given your ocular credentials - do you know whether it would be possible/worthwhile getting my plastic lenses repaired (the AR coating is all micro-scratched up now and I read that this coating could be disolved off and redone).

The specs I have are rimless, hingeless titanium, so I could just get new lenses too... but I have asked an optician yet, and this thread came along..

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum