Substandard Customer Service

Topic locked
Substandard Customer Service May 31, 2005
Is it just me does there appear to be a major short falling in customer service in Dubai?

The city brands itself as a shopping heaven, but the people working in them sometimes just don't seem to have a clue, I find this particularly annoying in electrical stores where the staff appear to know nothing about the products they're selling. I recently took a computer cable back to a well known store because it was faulty, the guy gave me a replacement, but to my horror he was just going to put the broken one back in the box and back on the shelf for someone else to buy - at which I blew my top!

I hate it when people follow you around the store like a stalker, I frequently tell the assistants that for a lot of people it's a sure fire way to put them off coming back! A simple "If you need any help don't hesitate to ask me" would do. Or you have the assistants who're completely apathetic and stand around doing nothing all day.

Stores really need to start training these people properly.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 31, 2005
I usually tell them off... My friend here in Montreal gave this guy in some snobby clothing store a beating he will never forget because of the stalking....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 31, 2005
Liban wrote:I usually tell them off... My friend here in Montreal gave this guy in some snobby clothing store a beating he will never forget because of the stalking....

And guess what? That guy was Liban stalking his handsome friemd! Yak Yak Yak! :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 31, 2005
Yes. You are too funny. Where doooo you get your wit? :roll:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Substandard Customer Service Mar 30, 2006
I know this is an old post, but it's a new experience to me!

Have to admit I don't like the term 'sub-standard' because we are guests afterall and there are many things we have here that we could never dream of having in most places we hail from - although there are a few post-colonnial exceptions - but yes the Customer Service is definitely different.

I'm just wondering if I'm going about things the wrong way. I'm used to sending emails to a company or leaving a message and getting a reply. Is that not the way it's done here? I'm trying to order large electrical items and also find out if the stores deliver and install. Is it best just to do things in person? Anyone got any advice/recommendations? :?
sonny
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Apr 05, 2006
Following on from your comment Chocco........

The one thing that really pees me off is when you call a company on the telephone, and all you get is....."Alo?"

And then you are transferred through about 5 or 6 different "Alo?"'s before you actually get to someone who cant help you!!

Oh and if you have any kind of accent, when speaking in english......the phone dies?!

This isnt just little companies, but also the large companies here in Dubai.

I mean, "alo?"???!!!! Sorry have I called you in your house or is this actually your workplace?!Get what I mean?

Sorry for the rant, but customer service needs improving in alot of places here. What happened to good old,

"Good afternoon. COMPANY NAME. NAME speaking.How can I help you?!"

:(
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 05, 2006
I just have to say that stupid consumers are the reasons stupid salesmen/saleswomen get away with it !!!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 05, 2006
Well yeah how hard it is to say: Good Morning, company, my name is xxxx, how can I help you?

Half the people on the phone sound bored to hell and can't be arsed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 05, 2006
Well yeah how hard it is to say: Good Morning, company, my name is xxxx, how can I help you?

Half the people on the phone sound bored to hell and can't be arsed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 05, 2006
It makes me wonder WTF is going on when I call customer services and the person picks up the phone with a sleepy "allo" or "mmm...yes...pff" or "ae shoo fee"....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2006
I think the crux of the problem is that the people picking up the phone are underqualified and have no place in this cosmopolitan environment.

The other problem is the command of language - there are many times I have called banks or stock brokers and as soon you start off in anything but arabic..... all you get is silence on the other side! :lol:

or they txfer the line to someone who can merely understand what you say...... and in most cases you utter 2 words and they go... "ahhhhhh ok khallas khallas this one ok......after 2 days call ok?"
evolve
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2006
I quite often pick up the main phone at work as our receptionist is lazy and never gets in till 10am! But it makes me wonder about people sometimes. I pick up the phone 'Hello, company name, this is xxxx, how can I help you?' And the moron on the other end of the phone still ask what company they've called, then goes all silent, I'm like Hello! You called us, what do you want?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 16, 2006
he was shell shocked by the s3xy voice he just heard on the other side
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2006
Just say "Atcha!" or really confuse them with "Mushy Mushy?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 17, 2006
MaaaD wrote:he was shell shocked by the s3xy voice he just heard on the other side

Actually MaaaD, you're not wrong on this, most people go, cool! I'm actually speaking to XXXXXX - hehehehe - Ah I love my job!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 17, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
MaaaD wrote:he was shell shocked by the s3xy voice he just heard on the other side

Actually MaaaD, you're not wrong on this, most people go, cool! I'm actually speaking to XXXXXX - hehehehe - Ah I love my job!

So you're the one that says "The number you have requested is...."???
You're famous, you are!

'Cos the bloke they have on there is German...listen carefully next time you get him:- "Ze number you haff reqvested iss..."

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 17, 2006
Er no but I do quite a lot of voice over work so you've probably heard me at some point.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 17, 2006
Voice over, as in shouting from the top of the Emirates Towers Chocs ??

arniegang

Apr 17, 2006
The time sponsored by 'Dubai Forums' is ....
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 17, 2006
arniegang wrote:Voice over, as in shouting from the top of the Emirates Towers Chocs ??

Shouting down the big white phone perhaps?

long distance call to "Eeeuuuurruupppp!!!"

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 18, 2006
What calling Huey on the big white telephone, or paying homage to the white porcelin god! - er no!

If you go to the cinema at Cinestar, City Centre the little advert for Japengo Cafe is one of mine. Also copious amounts of radio ads, on-hold messaging etc etc.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 18, 2006
Surely people have put 1 + 1 together by now.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list