Driving In The U.A.E Is A Kin To Driving In The Whacky Races

Topic locked
Driving in the U.A.E is a kin to driving in the whacky races Mar 18, 2006
The six million dollar question

Have all the vehicles in the U.A.E owned by the locals had their indicator stalks removed from their steering columns or is it that they are all to busy drinking tea and using mobiles to indicate which direction they want to travel in :)

Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 18, 2006
Dont give driving lessons in the Gulf. Adjust.
Zapata
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Driving in the U.A.E is a kin to driving in the whacky r Mar 18, 2006
Mr & Mrs Inquirer wrote:The six million dollar question

Have all the vehicles in the U.A.E owned by the locals had their indicator stalks removed from their steering columns or is it that they are all to busy drinking tea and using mobiles to indicate which direction they want to travel in :)

thats how it is, love it or hate it

:? :?
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 18, 2006
Zapata wrote:Dont give driving lessons in the Gulf. Adjust.

Wrong answer! If people were educated and taught how to drive properly, there would be less accidents, injuries and deaths on the roads. Sadly we're not all mind readers and can't guess where people are going to go, hence the need to use indicators - geez another brainless idiot!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 18, 2006
Well, ya perhaps not the "right" answer but certainly the most practical one. If I bothered to care about how others drive here I would have smashed in someones face by now.
Zapata
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2006
With all respect to your opinions....

Yes, They might be doing that, but i don't think this is the cause of the accidents.

Check statistics, rarely locals are involved in accidents.

But i do agree on :
Dont give driving lessons in the Gulf. Adjust.

It is this way, don't like it. go drive somewhere else..

Stop nagging about Dubai.
yshimy

Mar 19, 2006
Well well we do have some funny views on here

The Police in the UAE should get of their back sides and start doing their jobs correctly by making the roads SAFE again and stopping all the clowns from using cell phones, drinking tea & coffee which is an offence known as reckless driving because when the road users of the UAE are shown on T.V net works around the world it makes the UAE road users look very very silly indeed and totally back ward
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 19, 2006
Read about some celeb who were caught by radar speeding, and the photo showed her doing her make up in the car's mirror.

Saw this yesterday here, and guess what, she wasn't a local lady ;)
yshimy

Mar 19, 2006
QUOTE;Read about some celeb that were caught by radar speeding, and the photo showed her doing her make up in the car's mirror.

What a very strange story especially when speeding radar cameras are targeting the rear registration plates of vehicles

People need to get real; the state of the driving by uae nationals is very poor
They all so need to remove head gear and start to paying attention to the road also darkened front end glass should be from vehicles to in crease all round vision and in crease road safety
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 19, 2006
Mr & Mrs Inquirer wrote:What a very strange story especially when speeding radar cameras are targeting the rear registration plates of vehicles

Okay you tool, have you ever even been to Dubai, ALL cameras in Dubai take pictures of the front plate. :roll::roll::roll::roll:
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 19, 2006
Your rules only apply to you we have road angles and 210mph vehicel :wink:
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 20, 2006
fayz wrote:
Mr & Mrs Inquirer wrote:What a very strange story especially when speeding radar cameras are targeting the rear registration plates of vehicles

Okay you tool, have you ever even been to Dubai, ALL cameras in Dubai take pictures of the front plate. :roll::roll::roll::roll:

Not on the way to Abu Dhabi they don't - they're all rear facing on the fast stretch of road.

And Yshimy, with regards to locals driving, they are the worst. They cause the accidents then naff off which is what has happened to several people I know. With their recklessness they cause accidents and then just drive off!

Plus your attitude of 'if you don't like it go away' is nothing short of pathetic and narrow minded. I'm sorry but I'd like to see people driving and safe guarding others lives, not having a total disgregard for the lives of others!

According to a new report the UAE has the third most deadliest roads in the world, behind Saudi Arabia and Oman - hardly a record to be proud of is it?

Plus all you men out there, the fact that Saudi is top, proves that men are crap drivers, seeing as women aren't allowed to drive - nah nah nanana!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 20, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
fayz wrote:

Not on the way to Abu Dhabi they don't - they're all rear facing on the fast stretch of road.

If i'm not mistaken the rear facing ones are when you are in Abu Dhabi, remember the Abu Dhabi border is only 5-10 mins from Jebal Ali.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 20, 2006
True. But it means you have to watch your arse - hehehe.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 20, 2006
Ho please lads !

don't give me that like it or leave stuff... that's what the Front national (racist party) argument is toward foreigners in France when they complain (most of the time about racism, low wage etc...)

You don't want justify everything that goes wrong by the fact that people should leave if they don't like it?

If everyone complains enough about those kind of problem, it might become a national concern and attract the attention of the Government.

I agree that "nagging" will not change those behaviour straight away, but on the other hand, if we sit on our arses and don't say a word there is about 99.99% that nothing will change.

So keep complaining, even if that doesn't change things, at least it feels good !!!!!
ilfab
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 20, 2006
The trouble is here that everyone-except me :angel4: and of course Chocoholic :angel13: -adopts that "when in Rome" attitude. I know expats who don't even belt their kids in-that is just sooooooo stupid when they come from countries that show the dire consequences of that sort of irresponsibility on ads on TV. The fact that you know you can get away with something doesn't make it right, it just makes that person ignorant and stupid.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 20, 2006
ahhhhh hemmmmmmmm

excuse me Gabs - i think you are being just a bit biased and selective Gabs and Choc the driving angels indeed

:lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 20, 2006
There are fewer locals getting into accidents on the roads because there are hardly any locals in this country :lol: :wink:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 20, 2006
lol !!! :blob5:
ilfab
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 20, 2006
exactly, thank you kanelli

Fayz, i don't know why poeple when get stuck with their back to the corner, just give a laugh and don't comment...
Like this MR& MRs Smith about Back plates Radars..!!!!

Some people here just like to through everything on "Locals" they can't just face the reality...

For me i expect "not sure and just sharing with you" that accidents happen because most people here are "Right hand drivers" and come here "left hand driving" and when someone do mistake, the reflexes are different. i belive in emergencies you don't like think, it just reflexes....

Anyway, Drive safe everyone...

BTW.. what pisses me off about all this nagging about "dangerous roads" is that someday we will wake up with speed limit of 90 km on sheikh zayed and main roads and trip to work will get longer

Also... i never believe that speed is the cause of accidents, it is even stupidity, carlessness, or drivers who can't act on emergencies.
yshimy

Mar 20, 2006
I think that 120 km/hr is definitely fast enough because the majority of studies prove that speed does kill. If some pedestrian crosses the highway, or something falls off a truck, or a car breaks down you can still find yourself in trouble, even if it wasn't related to someone else's bad driving habits.

Basically, if people are courteous, use their lane change signals and plan their route instead of cutting people off or backing up to catch an exit - then the roads would be safer. There are too many selfish people here of all nationalities who think that their trip is more important than someone else's. In the end, selfish and uncivilised driving practices result in slower traffic, more deaths and more injuries.

The police and driving schools could go a long way to solving this problem, but instead they are contributing to the problem, unfortunately.

No matter how beautiful and fun our Murano is, it is a machine for getting us from point a to point b safely - it isn't a toy or a weapon.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 20, 2006
Agree with you in every point except

1) speed kill
Well in Germany, there is no speed limit on the AutoBhan and guess what, very low accident rate and fatility rate, and will not compare it to dubai.

i was doing 220, and had to take the 4th lane in some occasions as some cars were flashing me.

2) 120 is fast enough.

I agree, but dis-agree with the reasons about car breakdowns, people pass the road, something fall of the truck.
This get us to my previous point which is "emergency managment/reaction"

If we considered these situations as a norm, we wouldn't do more than 40 k/h, but still should be accounted for but not building the speed limit on people passing the road or next thing is speed limit is 40 and speed bumps in SZR. Because... it is HIGH WAY.

Cheers,
Drive safe
yshimy

Mar 21, 2006
Well in Germany, there is no speed limit on the AutoBhan and guess what, very low accident rate and fatility rate,

The reason for this is they have police that do what they are paid to do and the keep the fools of the road unlike other places
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 21, 2006
It is the combination of speed, inexperience and stupidity-the latter being the main cause. Last night I was stopped at the lights next to a car with no lights on (der, it's dark) and we waited for the lights to change-they didn't so the car next to me just drove through :shock: Yep, only in Dubai!! :shock:
People undertake and overtake here using exit points on the main roads to gain a few car lengths-you have to keep your wits about you for every possible stupid senario possible.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 21, 2006
many people don't know bout the advance driving program by EDI ... in that they teach u how to all the emergency tactics needed to drive on dubai roads when a f*cker infront u suddenly brakes hard...and other stuff...

also i'm sure that everyone here must've read in the papers about the new express-way that is going to be build on the dubai-shj road all the way to garhoud bridge...
devilsmind
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 21, 2006
kanelli wrote:If some pedestrian crosses the highway, or something falls off a truck, or a car breaks down you can still find yourself in trouble, even if it wasn't related to someone else's bad driving habits.

WHAT!!?? its a highway! there are supposed to be no pedestrians there...now its a completely different story when people don't wanna walk to the nearest zebra crossing or the pedestrian bridge...i've seen people run for their lives when crossing near the city centre rd towards garhoud bridge...

if ur car breaks down...it doesn't suddenly stop...ur speed reduces until u finally stop...till then pull-the-f*ck-over...

kanelli wrote:There are too many selfish people here of all nationalities who think that their trip is more important than someone else's. In the end, selfish and uncivilised driving practices result in slower traffic, more deaths and more injuries.

totally agree...i'm one of 'em selfish ppl though :oops:
devilsmind
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 21, 2006
yshimy wrote:exactly, thank you kanelli

Fayz, i don't know why poeple when get stuck with their back to the corner, just give a laugh and don't comment...
Like this MR& MRs Smith about Back plates Radars..!!!!

Some people here just like to through everything on "Locals" they can't just face the reality...

Sorry I don't get what you wrote, was i stuck with my back to the corner? not in an argumentative tone, just trying to understand.

Also I don't think I've ever blamed any one nationality. There are many A-holes from all walks of life, i'm proud to be one of them ;)

Kanelli, just to give you a hard time and stay on my theme of you need to read a newspaper, the speed limit is 140 after the 3rd interchange and 160 when you hit the AD border on SZR :P :P
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 21, 2006
Fayz :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 21, 2006
It's not just on the roads that people are selfish either.

Example, today I went to Town Centre and after I got out my car, a national in a big land cruiser parks across two spaces. When he got out I asked him if his car was really so big that he had to take up more than one space and what he was doing was actually quite selfish. He jokingly asked if I worked for Dubai Police, but then apologised and to my surprise got back in his car and re-parked - I nearly fainted!

Sometimes it pays to make people aware what they're doing is wrong. The guy was very apologetic, but I wonder how long before he does it again.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 23, 2006
sorry to go back on previous posts, but Yshimi said that in germany there's no limit...

Wrong, it's only on some portions of motorway and guess what, they have a much higher death rate than the ones with an actual limit...

Speed kills like it or not, it's true that's it's also a combination, it's not only speed, it's espacially unapropriate speed eg :

It's raining, u're on SZR, the limit is 120 K/h, heavy traffic, what do u do? if u do 120, u're not doing anything illegal but on the other hand , it's extremely dangerous.

Do u see my point ?
ilfab
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto