DIC And Torrents

Topic locked
DIC and torrents Mar 31, 2006
anyone here using dic with success using torrents via torrentspy or others.. i can usually get a few seeds and a few peers, but rarely if any traffic gets through..

i've had to subscribe to a news server recently to get all my shows from back home...but my news server only hosts for 3 weeks.. and many shows i want to get into are not posted regularly anymore (eg. old episodes of trek, quantum leap, 3rd rock, etc).

its not a port forwarding issue.. i'm wondering if its blocked by dic itself.. and if my only remedy would be to get a proxy.

thanks

jumanji
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 15, 2006
its not the issue with DIC, but the seeds or torrents you link to.

try this service www.usenext.com

its payable but i get download speeds of DSL! Yes, and not the 20-25kbps with torrents. With torrents you are sharing each seed with other users. Therefore and unless you have a 4MB line or more, it will be slow.

also, some seeds and torrents use odd UDP ports blocked by DIC.

connect the DIC VPN to get an outside access and try again.

all else fails....usenext
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 16, 2006
I use the torrents with no problem using the DIC service..

try to reset the program to default settings..

u use bittorrent.

cheers
yshimy

May 17, 2006
I use BitLord and use torrentspy and isohunt to get my torrents - they download super quick - mostly TV shows from the US - so I agree with the comments above that its probably the torrents you're linking to or your settings.

(I'm using DIC with a 2mb connection - they intially set me up with a 64kbs connection and it was painfully slow, but the torrents still worked)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 17, 2006
What are you guys talking about ??

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 26, 2006
Bittorrent is another good one. I have been able to leech torrentspy with really good results.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
I personally use Azureus which I found to be the fastest client for me. I know many ppl think the client isn't really important but I've tried many clients before it and none came even close to Azureus.

As for websites, I get my torrents from mininova.org, meganova.org, and torrentz.com (indexes all the torrents on many websites)
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Torrents Jun 05, 2006
One issue with slow downlaods could be the ports and router.

torrent software or any other P2P software requires port mapping or forwarding. DIC closes some ports for security reasons and therefore, you will need to find open ones.

1. Check any ports above 5000 for both UDP and TCP
2. Your router should be configured to allow incoming traffic on these.
3. Your firewall software as well, if you use or dont use a router (i.e. direct connection with RJ line into socket)

Generally, i have loads of problems with ports using DIC internet. With Etisalat, things were much smoother. Would be nice to hear from others how they configured their settings.
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 05, 2006
Can we get into trouble using Bittorrent etc.? I heard there were some arrests before for using it in other countries.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 06, 2006
shhhhh What happens in DF stays in DF
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jun 07, 2006
Darn. I wanted some way to download all the new Battlestar Galactica episodes. :(
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 07, 2006
wow you are a nerd kanelli .. hahah
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 14, 2006
Hi, just got Etisalat Al Shamil 2Mbps in to my flat..
however.. Its super slow.. now im from sweden and is probably superspoilt with bandwidth but this is ridicoulus.. i almost upload more then i download..

And for torrent client, http://www.utorrent.com is by far the best!!

Anyways, if anyone knows way to improve the speed with this super stupid Siemens router.. id be forever in debt!

Thanks!
Dauan
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 15, 2006
Hi

1. Where is your flat? Speed is relative to how close you are to the exchange. answer this and I could get an idea.

2. 2MB from Etisalat is pretty quick and I had no problems. I used to live in a 20 year old villa and the phone lines were 15 years old. I still got 90-95% capacity on my 2MB.

Therefore, it can be a combination of the following:

A) Your port at the exchange needs to be refreshed. You need to call them hotline and request that

B) You have a virus that is consuming your net connection bandwidth - always a possibility. Load Netstat in DOS to see what is using the web on your PC

C) Your phone line might have an issue
D) Your firewall or router - what are you using?
E) Are you on wireless or using a cable?

Lastly, windows limits your packet size on PPPoE connections. Try tweaking it by downloading tweaks at www.bandwidthplance.com or www.adslguide.com

www.edonkey.com www.overnet.com www.usenext.com
the above are trully the best!
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2006
Change your router ASAP! The Siemens they give you is a piece of ****. Refurbished junk would work better than this...

I replaced it with a Linksys router and am very satisfied with it. Better wireless range, more reliable... Just change the damn router
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 17, 2006
Well, my flat is in Deira, about 500 metres from the Etisalat main office..
Shudnt be greater issues there.. Virus, No... Firewall No...

I blame the router, my exchange has been refreshed several times, ive also had techie out here to have a look at the modem..

Nick, did you ask to change modem from Etisalat? Or did you by the Linksys modem yourself and just hooked up?? Cus im getting really freaked out by this shit modem!
Dauan
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 23, 2006
i have a siemens router from etisalat, i am live near etisalat, i used to get full bandwith speed but for about a month now my speeds have only been 60-70%. i am sure its no my firewall or a virus, is it the router then? i heard siemens were shit.
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Etisalat DSL Speeds?! Jul 16, 2006
Hi all,
It's a long time since any1 replied here, but didn't want to start a new post for the same topic.
I have a 256kbps DSL line from Etisalat. I live in Deira, behind Sheraton Deira. Not sure where the nearest exchange etc is.

My question is what's the speed I should get using Bitcomet? The max Iever get if I'm lucky and there are lots of peers etc is about 29k.

Any ways to increase this? I've opened up my max-open connections etc using Lvllord but I still don't know the speed i SHOULD be getting.

Thanks.
shahveer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Etisalat DSL Speeds?! Jul 17, 2006
shahveer wrote:I have a 256kbps DSL line from Etisalat. The max Iever get if I'm lucky and there are lots of peers etc is about 29k.
Any ways to increase this?

To work out the max speed of your connection in Kilobytes per second:

line speed / 8 * 0.9

therefore:

256/8*0.9 = 28.8 Kilobytes per second - you're doing the best you can with your connection.

The only way to increase this speed is increase your line speed.

512 = 60 k a second.
1024 = 115~120 k a second.
2048 = 220~230 k a second.

The annoying bit is, the faster you scale your connection the more overhead you need to traffic.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 18, 2006
hmm i am using the siemens they gave me, working fine, getting full speeds with torrents,just had to set up NAT and port forwarding, and using azureus.
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 18, 2006
I get connection timeouts and NAT errors from my DIC connection using Azureus ...

Shafique do you have a public IP address ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk