Torrents Blocked???

Topic locked
Torrents Blocked??? May 03, 2007
Hey,

Anyone not being able to download torrents from Bitcomet?
Just tried various ones and they aren't downloading. Even limewire isn't working.

Someone please tell me its my comp, and not that etisalat blocked them?!

Btw, torrentspy.com is blocked; any workarounds?

Thanks!

ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

May 03, 2007
limewire workign for me.
with azureus, can someone help remove my dht red light. im using teh speedstream 6520 wifi router/modem.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

May 03, 2007
Torrents are working now! :)
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

May 04, 2007
i still get a dht firewalled in azureus.

help me fix it, someone please.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

May 04, 2007
Torrents were never a problem for me, nor was limewire..using them evreyday.

The problem is the torrent sites..www.torrentspy.com got blocked again :evil: :evil: :evil: .
hitender_s
Dubai Forums Member

May 04, 2007
- Enable encryption (like in utorrent) to make it more difficult for ISP to block.
- Use common port like 80/21.
- Install PeerGuardian2 to avoid getting hammered.
- Enable port forwarding (if you use router).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 04, 2007
xty wrote:- Enable encryption (like in utorrent) to make it more difficult for ISP to block.
- Use common port like 80/21.
- Install PeerGuardian2 to avoid getting hammered.
- Enable port forwarding (if you use router).

Done all of the above.
Now need to get torrentspy back for all my TV shows. hehe

Qst - I have a 1mb DSL line; whats the maximum speed I should be getting downloading a healthy torrent, one at a time with lots of seeds? The max speed I've gotten is more or less 100-105kbps.
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

May 04, 2007
Apart from corporate/1:1 package, regular/home DSL won't give you 100% download speed (max 128KBps download speed for 1Mbps connection) as it's shared connection. You're lucky if you can get 70%+. Most of the time, I can get only 30-35KBps out of my 512Kbps connection, which is only around 50%. Install DU Meter to monitor the DL/UL speed.

Lots of seeds and peers don't guarantee you to get fast download either, even when the port is open. Actually I'm still confused about this. Often I get thousands of seeds & leeches, the port is open, trackers are working, DHT enabled, encryption enabled, PG2 installed, but sometimes it won't download anything or only got few seeds/peers out of thousands.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 05, 2007
hmm i use azureus with encryption turned on. with my 256kbps connection i get about 30kBps download speed, so i guess no point upgrading to 512kbps.

what does peerguardian 2 do?
and do i need to enable port fwding if im using the etisalat dsl modem/router speedstream 6520???
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

May 06, 2007

Not bad...similar to this other program ive used called "Port monster"
guest999

May 06, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:what does peerguardian 2 do?
and do i need to enable port fwding if im using the etisalat dsl modem/router speedstream 6520???

PortGuardian2 is to filter/block your peers connections. Many connections are coming from Govt offices, media/recording office, and other anti P2P companies.

Basically to reduce the chance for you to get "hammered". When you download certain files (especially movies and MP3s), those parties will detect your connection. It's like a trap. Later they will attack/flood/hammer you back with many continuous connections (to your IP), even you close your torrent client, sometimes it lasts for few days.

Therefore it causes your overall internet connection to slow down. That's why ISPs normally don't like it and try to block as much as they can torrent connections.

I don't know about if your modem router supports port forwarding. Check the manual.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 06, 2007
teh speedstream 6520 does support port fwding, but its got the etisalat software on it, which has crippled it. i cant assign a static ip address but can port forward. so i gotta change the port fwd setting everytime i start my pc.

please if someone can help me get decent bittorrent speeds and configure my router and utorrent, please pm me.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:hmm i use azureus with encryption turned on. with my 256kbps connection i get about 30kBps download speed, so i guess no point upgrading to 512kbps.

Sorry, my mistake. Sometimes (when noone were downloading in my building/area?) I got up to 50 KBps of my 512Kbps DSL connection. That's 78% which is quite good.

And one more important thing about PeerGuardian2 (and similar programs) is to reduce (by blocking connections coming from govt offices) the chance of getting caught by govt officials when downloading "the stuffs" ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk