What Legal Penalty Does Adultery Carry In The UAE?

Topic locked
What legal penalty does adultery carry in the UAE? Sep 12, 2007
Here's the situation: I'm thinking of moving to Dubai for work and bringing my girlfriend. Only thing is, she's in the process of getting divorced. (It was a civil marriage in the UK if that's relevant.) So:

1. If we moved to Dubai, would we be guilty of committing adultery there?
2. What's the maximum penalty for this?
3. What's the harshest penalty that's been dealt out in recent times?
4. What's the typical penalty?

Thanks!

TheMonk
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Sep 13, 2007
Monk - get ready for many different replies to come flying out.

Some will say 'yes, its the law' others will say 'don't be daft it's fine'. So whatever you hear, your going to need to make your own decision on the matter.

I spent sometime trying to dig out the law on un-wedded couples living together (having just lived in sin for a year in Dubai) and I could not find a law. I could only find official quotes from the police 'we, are not bothered, we are more bothered about the behavior of couples in public' and the deputy director of the courts 'It is not illegal in Dubai'. I also met many, many, many unwed couples living together including some that had joint mortgages together. In the end I came to the conclusion that if you don't go causing trouble and broadcasting your martial status around then you are fine.

Now - your case is slightly different as your fair lady still has to divorce her former husband, but how is anyone in Dubai going to dig that up? Passports don't contain martial status last time i checked.

So to summarize the authorities seem to be way more concerned about people having fun in public or meeting up in chat rooms, then they are a couple living together and getting on with life in way that does not effect others.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Sep 14, 2007
i would agree with jabba,, no reason to worry unless you've put out a one-page announcement in the papers explaining your woes :) and someone has to complain for a case to be filed i suppose. i think this case is true for most countries and not just the UAE
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums