Moral Behavior In Animals

Topic locked
Moral behavior in animals Apr 27, 2012
Many philosophers think that morality and altruism is a purely human characteristic.

There is new research that proves the opposite.
The presentation is fun to watch even if you are not interested in this idea in general. :)

Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals Apr 27, 2012
A longer presentation that talks about similarities and differences between humans and other animals.

Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals Apr 28, 2012
Thanx for posting!
pizza4mortimer
BANNED

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals May 02, 2012
"Animals can not have a sense of fairness, it was invented during the French revolution."
LOL!!! :)

I didn't know animals are that smart, the Elephant stomping on that rope so that the food comes to him when the second elephant pools the other end of the rope is unexpected as if he knew how the mechanism is working.
DFT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals May 02, 2012
Animals can be very smart. It is not a knew information for anyone who has spent a considerable time with animals.

--- Wed May 02, 2012 11:11 pm ---

Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals May 03, 2012
Many animal speciaes are incredibly intelligent. Dolphins are probably the smartest animals on the planet, with complex social groups, their own dialects depending where they come from etc. Many people really do need to show more respect for the animal kingdom and those that live within it. Sadly I would say many humans are below being an 'animal' and I would insult animal species by comparing the two.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals May 03, 2012
Crows are clever birds, I have already noticed one of their behaviour for cracking walnuts they pick from walnut trees, they find some suitable high perch just above concreat (hard/rough) surface then drop and pick up the nut many times until it cracks to eat inside :)

--- Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:21 pm ---

Here is a good example of moral behaviour between animals.. There is this female leopard while acting as predator for survival, soon after her hunting she behaves as a compassionate surrogate mother to the baby of its monkey prey..

Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals Jun 16, 2012
Thank you Berrin, interesting video!
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals Jun 17, 2012
Thanks Berrin, that was interesting! I didn't expect the leopard to behave like that.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals Oct 11, 2012
Andyba wrote:Many philosophers think that morality and altruism is a purely human characteristic.

Those can be mamal characteristics, not reptilian. Humans are mammals, so no surprise human behavior has similarities with other mammals.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Moral Behavior In Animals Oct 16, 2012
FlyingDutchman wrote:Those can be mamal characteristics, not reptilian.
Watch from @50
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Reptiles respond to outside dangers with fight or flight. Big lizards fighting over terrority fits that respons. You can also notice this with humans, the more they feel endangered (in their existence), the more they go to their primitive reptilian brain (the amygdala), and only two reponses are left, fight or flight, with ni middle-way. More developed is the "mammael brain", where there is space for morality. negotiation, talk and altruism.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Ermm, did you watch the video? They are fighting in least damaging way. They are wrestling instead of hurting to claim the space. Altruism is also found in reptiles too, next segment of the video is on crocs which shows that kind of behavior. Side-blotched lizard is well known example of altruism in reptiles: http://scienceblog.com/10536/nice-guys- ... nary-race/
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Yes I watched the video and donot consider two big lizards fighting over territory, be it hard or soft fighting, as altruism.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

FlyingDutchman wrote:Yes I watched the video and donot consider two big lizards fighting over territory, be it hard or soft fighting, as altruism.
That was not example of altruism. Example for that was croc looking aftre the babies of other crocs which comes after in that video. Furthermore, as I mentioned side-blotched lizard is well known example of altruism in reptiles.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nucleus , you are giving examples of cooperation, not altruism.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

FlyingDutchman wrote:Nucleus , you are giving examples of cooperation, not altruism.
Pffft, you are not reading. Check the link.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums