Moral Judgements

Topic locked
Moral Judgements Apr 07, 2010
This is interesting and a little scary...

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/mora ... -0330.html

melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Moral Judgements Apr 07, 2010
Interesting findings.

It ties in with other research that show how easily people's moral values can be changed - most famously the Milgram experiments at Yale. That was under lab conditions - but similarly findings have been found in people who are living in war zones, under siege etc - it is frightening how quickly we all would descend into a 'Lord of the Flies' mentality.

So, electromagnetic fields affecting behaviour is not too big a stretch - but if I'm honest, I remain to be convinced it's a significant factor compared to other ways of influencing behaviours.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Milgram experiments has been proved again:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8573755.stm
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Melika - what's your view on the effects of war on people's views/morality. Were you in Iran during the Iran/Iraq war? Did that harden people's views or change morality?

Serious question - just interested in finding out. I've asked the same question to Lebanese friends and colleagues and they joke about how violence is part of their lives now, and that civil wars, inter-family or inter-tribal violence etc are taken in their stride and just part of life there.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

War on morality? no I didnt feel that effect. The effect of war on my people was fear, at least I think so, maybe because i was very young during wartime. I remember the times we heard the sound of alarms and everybody would run to the shelters... or my worst nightmare those days were they are gonna take my dad to war and he will be shot! :( one day my dad came home and told mom that he went to register for the army but they told him that the army is full and they don't need new people! I was soooooooo relieved that day! didnt know they are fooling me! lol

Anyway people didnt see soldiers' clashes in cities like Tehran,it was bombing. So I m not sure if it had effect on violence.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Glad to hear that you don't think the Iran/Iraq war changed the morals of the society - that is encouraging.

But as you say, I guess it would be those that saw combat that would be affected - as the main cities didn't see fighting but just some bombing.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums