Britain’s Veiled Debate

Topic locked
Britain’s veiled debate Oct 06, 2006
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2006
jack straw mind your own bloody business and respect others cultures and religions

mind if i call jack straw a fag :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 07, 2006
just wanna say that wotevers happening in uk is BAD especially for muslims and UK. but then again who told tony blair to join the war with America. look at it this way UK supported america, america is chilling while the British people are fighting amongst each other. nice init. its like 2 boys fighting over a girl when the girl herself is relaxing at her house.

so thats wot you get for supporting Bush.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 07, 2006
rudeboy wrote:just wanna say that wotevers happening in uk is BAD especially for muslims and UK. but then again who told tony blair to join the war with America. look at it this way UK supported america, america is chilling while the British people are fighting amongst each other. nice init. its like 2 boys fighting over a girl when the girl herself is relaxing at her house.

so thats wot you get for supporting Bush.

Most of my Muslim friends, Brits, agree that in this case if there is an outrage it is a bit of an over reaction.

Jack Straw has his opinions, so does Hazel Blears... But you have to understand, the labour party has some people who are trying to win favours amongst their own party. Attacking Islam is always a guarenteed winner.

I think people should let it be, and that will calm the flame of the tabloids.
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2006
"The Prime Minister of Great Britain Tony Blair believes its right people should be able to have a discussion and express their personal views on issues such as this."
A POLL yesterday showed 90 per cent of people agreed with Jack Straw's view on Muslim veils.
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 08, 2006
"he asks Muslim women at his Blackburn constituency surgeries if they would mind removing veils".

Not to wise of him to comment in such a time of tension. But if i am honest i feel the same, wrongly or rightly and open to having my views changed..

What needs consideration is that in the UK the Veil is not a type of attire a lot of the people are accustomed to. We have grown up within a Society used to seeing someone’s face in full, especially in direct communication. Facial expressions make up a large amount of communication which we have become reliant upon. The home countries of cultures that are accustomed to wearing a Veil would not experience this.

Another point to consider is that we are talking about Muslim females who have chosen to settle in the UK.

I am currently working in Kuwait with some very sincere people whom I respect. So in turn I respect their culture in the highest esteem. As you all know its Ramadan at the moment, so I do not smoke or drink or eat until I return in the evening - I am adopting the customs of the country I am in. I also do not wear clothes deemed unsuitable to the countries culture (+ hairy rugby players legs don't look so good in a mini skirt).

If he was suggesting it became a law I would be totally opposed to it.

But.....The main aspect here is the british press, who are more interested in selling papers then improving multi-cultural relations.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Oct 08, 2006
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:"The Prime Minister of Great Britain Tony Blair believes its right people should be able to have a discussion and express their personal views on issues such as this."
A POLL yesterday showed 90 per cent of people agreed with Jack Straw's view on Muslim veils.

well i agree his views . I guess he was talking abt niqab....which is covering mouth. and face. It's ok to wear hijab but niqab should be removed if one wants to identify the person. PPl are banning in Tunisia, morroco , turkey, france then y not Britain?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 08, 2006
Britain is home to about 1.8 million Muslims but UK Protect-Hijab organisation, said fewer than 5 percent of the Muslim women wore a full veil.

But he defended Muslims' right to wear hijabs, or headscarves, unlike the French government which banned them from state schools
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 08, 2006
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:"The Prime Minister of Great Britain Tony Blair believes its right people should be able to have a discussion and express their personal views on issues such as this."

90% of the population are culturally insensitive. So I guess that makes it ok.
boomtown
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 08, 2006
I don't think that's true at all. Plus he does have a point about the communication thing, people rely of facial expressions to be able to communicate with one another, not only that but sometimes if you can't quite understand someone, seeing the mouth movements and almost lip-reading is useful.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 08, 2006
90% of the population are culturally insensitive. So I guess that makes it ok.[/quote]

No body is making these " 5%" stay in ithe UK.
So if they dislike the UK the answer is Go
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 08, 2006
News Flash! All the people irritated with the UK have gone or are gone! Hundreds of thousands of 'local' Brits are leaving every year as they're sick and tired of what's happening to the place.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 08, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:News Flash! All the people irritated with the UK have gone or are gone! Hundreds of thousands of 'local' Brits are leaving every year as they're sick and tired of what's happening to the place.

Very true ; But as they song say`s There will all ways be an "ENGLAND" :)
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 08, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:News Flash! All the people irritated with the UK have gone or are gone! Hundreds of thousands of 'local' Brits are leaving every year as they're sick and tired of what's happening to the place.

so u leaft long time ago to leave in even more irritated place -Saudi and UAE? :roll:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 08, 2006

lol i m one of them and trust me its happening its happening in the states and even in UK. my couzins are moving as well and so are my other family members. it aint happening in great number but slowly am sure it will pick up. no more donner kebabs in uk :D

damn i wonder if someone could come here and open a donner kebab van here :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 08, 2006
rudeboy wrote:

lol i m one of them and trust me its happening its happening in the states and even in UK. my couzins are moving as well and so are my other family members. it aint happening in great number but slowly am sure it will pick up. no more donner kebabs in uk :D

she was talking abt eliste caucasian english ppl :roll:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 09, 2006
sniper420 wrote:
well i agree his views . I guess he was talking abt niqab....which is covering mouth. and face. It's ok to wear hijab but niqab should be removed if one wants to identify the person. PPl are banning in Tunisia, morroco , turkey, france then y not Britain?

True but that is your opinion, some other opinion believe that niqab is a must so they should have the right to wear whatever. Those countries you mentioned they do not claim to be democratic country but Britain remind us always how democratic and civilised country it is. I do not agree with niqab been compulsory but I know many who do and its their choice to wear it. It is sad that this debate happening now after all the attacks on Islam right left and centre from all over the world, I guess jack straw need some publicity for himself and what a better way of doing it by provoking such a sensitive debate in this particular period. So what next?
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 09, 2006
some other opinion believe that niqab is a must so they should have the right to wear whatever.

That is ok

But is this not causing a problem with "security"?.
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 09, 2006
In teresting points Sara, i feel people are confused in the fact that such a small minority do completely cover.

Therefore the ordinary person finds it hard to associate the reason why a small minority do and the vast majority do not.

At the end of the day, you also have to consider what percentage of those that do, do so because they are pressured to do so by their hubands or families etc.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 09, 2006
arniegang wrote:In teresting points Sara, i feel people are confused in the fact that such a small minority do completely cover.

Therefore the ordinary person finds it hard to associate the reason why a small minority do and the vast majority do not.

At the end of the day, you also have to consider what percentage of those that do, do so because they are pressured to do so by their hubands or families etc.

true but these are another issue then. So what next ban head scarf, because they might be forced into it? As I said I do not agree with niqab but there are people who do and I wonder what is the real motive behind this debate now? .
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 09, 2006
sniper420 wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

No I wasn't you moron Sniper. Did it say that anywhere in my post? No! So don't go assuming things.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 09, 2006
things seem to be a bit out of proportion here.

JS never said "ban" he was merely giving his opinion. And quite frankly i like many others agree with him.

I see no point in widening the issue to head scarves etc, as this has no relevance to JS's point or opinion.
arniegang

Oct 09, 2006
arniegang wrote:things seem to be a bit out of proportion here.

JS never said "ban" he was merely giving his opinion. And quite frankly i like many others agree with him.

I see no point in widening the issue to head scarves etc, as this has no relevance to JS's point or opinion.

He is politicians and his opinion mean something, cause conflicts etc. the point that iam trying to make Britain is free country and people should be entitled to where what they like. How about people who hardly wear anything!!!, how about politicians stating their opinion and saying something. It is free country and if it is he has no say in what people where/ believe. People agreeing with him or not it does not make it right move, plus this step will leads to more so we can not just say that and this have no relation. If you can put your hand in your heart and say I totally know what any politicians motives are, then you can safely assume it is just a debate. Politicians never surprise me, they are very predictable.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 10, 2006
Politicians, like everyone else in the UK have a right to speak their own mind and express their opinion without fear of reprisal and oppression. Just because some people object to that, doesn't really cut water.

This i am affraid does not apply in the majority of muslim countries including those woman that have to cover up against their will, whatever country they are in, and that includes the UK.

It was not an offensive statement in the least, he was merely stating what he, and many others actually think and indeed agree with
arniegang

Oct 10, 2006
sniper420 wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

She said she wasn't saying that at ...hmmm...this proves something abt urself..
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 10, 2006
Legendkiller wrote:
sniper420 wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

She said she wasn't saying that at ...hmmm...this proves something abt urself..

well then what's with 'local' ?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 10, 2006
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:some other opinion believe that niqab is a must so they should have the right to wear whatever.

That is ok

But is this not causing a problem with "security"?.

well in gulf female check those covered women
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 10, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
sniper420 wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

No I wasn't you moron Sniper. Did it say that anywhere in my post? No! So don't go assuming things.

didnt u read us th enews flash? duh?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 10, 2006
I see nothing wrong with asking a woman to remove her veil. She has not been asked to remove her head scarf or any other long drapey outer clothing she may be wearing.

As far as I know, the Quran says nothing about having to cover one's face. Also, do these women think they are so good looking that no man besides their husband can look at their face, otherwise they will corrupt them and make them come after her in lust? Give me a break!

In Western culture it is very important to see a person's face and to look in a person's face when communicating. If women are supposed to cover up when they go to some Muslim countries, why the uproar when a Muslim woman is asked only to remove a veil over her face?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 10, 2006

Well in gulf female check those covered women [/quote)

Was there not “Security Alert” when a male cross dresser person was caught in a female power room in Dubai earlier this year?
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums