Why Is It So Tough To Meet People Here?

Topic locked

Do you think its tough to meet new people in UAE if you are an expat?

Yes
39%
No
44%
Im Not sure
17%

Total votes : 18

Why is it so tough to meet people here? Dec 05, 2006
I know what most of you are going to say, its not that tough to meet people.

Speaking from experience it is, i have been here for 4 months and haven't met anyone new at all. Are there any other expats with similar experiences?

You try the speaking to strangers but how much can you really learn about a person with a 5 min conversation while smoking? And the chances of seeing them again? slim. You cant really ask for a number as it would be inappropriate and women would most propably think "Stalker" and the guys would label you as gay.

Then you get the people when you try striking up a conversation they just grunt and look at you weirdly! I have tried all of those approaches speaking to random strangers, yes you may have a good chat about things like nationality job, things like that. Thats as far as it goes. So all you end up with is a bunch of acquaintances. People at work will talk to you greet you but can you really call them your friends?

I can tell you from personal experience that most of the time people meet other people via common friends. Or am i wrong in thinking this? What happens then if you dont have any to start with in a new country?

I read a post earlier of a women who had similar experiences! so i know i am not the only one. I can understand where she comes from with the whole working late thing, if you do not have anything to do, any friends you just end up working and working and working.

The clubs and pubs? they don't allow you in if you are not accompanied by a women and when you finally do get into one surprise surprise , those are not the kind of people you want to meet. Whats with that anyways? Why pretend to be a club if its just hoes in there? It only ends up leaving a very bad impression about Dubai!

So why is it so tough? Have you had a similar experience as an expat or something different?

MrLonely
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Why is it so tough to meet people here? Dec 05, 2006
MrLonely wrote:I read a post earlier of a women who had similar experiences! so i know i am not the only one. I can understand where she comes from with the whole working late thing, if you do not have anything to do, any friends you just end up working and working and working.

Is it me? :? :? :? I am working & working till late (it's a personal choice)but i still have friends though we're not seeing each other much due to conflict schedules and some of them are based in other emirates.

Mr. Lonely, you can find friends in Dubai, maybe the timing isn't easy for you. If you're into sports, why not join a sport's club & start from there or attend DF meets perhaps. I met friends thru club's of interest, what i mean speech club & hobbies.

Like you, i came here all by myself and it took me months to meet friends. I want to master my craft first at work and go on meeting with someone from outer space (hehehe).

You can also join your colleagues in their outings. First, get to know them, ask where they usually spend time after work and ask if you can join them sometime..things like that.

You can wider your network of meeting new people thru common friends & colleagues. :wink:

DF meets is an option too.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 06, 2006
Meeting people is just a matter of getting out there and doing it. It's like going for a swim in a cold pool. You dip your toe in and it's freezing, you want to get into the pool, but you're scared about the chill. You know if you get in and swim around for a while it will be fine, but it's those first few steps that worry you the most.

Take my advice: jump into the pool. Just get out there and do it. Sure you'll get brushed, people will think you're creepy or a stalker, but in a little while you'll find your step and you'll be ok.

Sitting at home on the internet posting about it isn't going to help.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 06, 2006
this forum is crying out for another meet me thinks...DR D...and the gang or regulars...shall we organise something after the new years?
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 06, 2006
MrLonely, there is a Ms lonely somewhere on the forum .. look her up .. i think its a match made in heaven.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 06, 2006
MaaaD wrote:MrLonely, there is a Ms lonely somewhere on the forum .. look her up .. i think its a match made in heaven.

the other name for that is "miss palm and her five daughters" :P
constantine

Dec 06, 2006
dont agree,

in the past year have met many interesting people, its all about the attitude u have and the way u approach the situation, depends on wether ur a conversationalist or an introvert.

cheers

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Why is it so tough to meet people here? Dec 06, 2006
MrLonely wrote:I know what most of you are going to say, its not that tough to meet people.

Speaking from experience it is, i have been here for 4 months and haven't met anyone new at all. Are there any other expats with similar experiences?

You try the speaking to strangers but how much can you really learn about a person with a 5 min conversation while smoking? And the chances of seeing them again? slim. You cant really ask for a number as it would be inappropriate and women would most propably think "Stalker" and the guys would label you as gay.

Then you get the people when you try striking up a conversation they just grunt and look at you weirdly! I have tried all of those approaches speaking to random strangers, yes you may have a good chat about things like nationality job, things like that. Thats as far as it goes. So all you end up with is a bunch of acquaintances. People at work will talk to you greet you but can you really call them your friends?

I can tell you from personal experience that most of the time people meet other people via common friends. Or am i wrong in thinking this? What happens then if you dont have any to start with in a new country?

I read a post earlier of a women who had similar experiences! so i know i am not the only one. I can understand where she comes from with the whole working late thing, if you do not have anything to do, any friends you just end up working and working and working.

The clubs and pubs? they don't allow you in if you are not accompanied by a women and when you finally do get into one surprise surprise , those are not the kind of people you want to meet. Whats with that anyways? Why pretend to be a club if its just hoes in there? It only ends up leaving a very bad impression about Dubai!

So why is it so tough? Have you had a similar experience as an expat or something different?

4 months? dont give up... You'l make friends if you do not hesitate to start a conversation with a strangers.

oh, are you hot?
easternjewel

easternjewel wrote:4 months? dont give up... You'l make friends if you do not hesitate to start a conversation with a strangers.

oh, are you hot?

carry a thermometer when u meet him EJ :lol: where have u been?
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

easternjewel wrote:oh, are you hot?

ofcourse not, he wouldnt be posting about being lonely if he was.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 06, 2006
jeeves, I wudnt need a thermo :lol: ... Ive been a little occupied with work & uni.

Maaad, u have a point, so when are you posting bout being lonelyy :lol:
easternjewel

Dec 06, 2006
easternjewel wrote:Maaad, u have a point, so when are you posting bout being lonelyy :lol:

never .. you know it ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 06, 2006
let me know when you are baby :P
easternjewel

Dec 07, 2006
interesting comments... i myself decided to kill my loneliness tonite thru internet! first attempt.. not bad, enjoyed it
i need no thermo thou... :wink: still, single for some time...
no wonder, most "interestees" are from work, as i don't leave at a decent time to meet anyone elsewhere..

Ms. Lonely... :wink:
camelia
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 07, 2006
camelia wrote:
still, single for some time...

Huh?! Single?!

*talking to oneself, isn't this inviting?*
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 07, 2006
Huh?! Single?!

*talking to oneself, isn't this inviting?*[/quote]

sure it is! it's an open inviation to a smart chat about how bitter the taste of loneliness gets after some time... with eventually a few suggestions on how to sweeten up my days :roll:
camelia
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Why is it so tough to meet people here? Dec 07, 2006
MaaaD wrote:
easternjewel wrote:oh, are you hot?

ofcourse not, he wouldnt be posting about being lonely if he was.

touche 8)

:lol: :lol:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 07, 2006
camelia wrote:interesting comments... i myself decided to kill my loneliness tonite thru internet! first attempt.. not bad, enjoyed it
i need no thermo thou... :wink: still, single for some time...
no wonder, most "interestees" are from work, as i don't leave at a decent time to meet anyone elsewhere..

Ms. Lonely... :wink:

Dear camelia,
did you & mr.lonely pm eachother YET* ???

Best wishes,

DF TEAM
(the best dating service)
easternjewel

Dec 07, 2006
and if the rest of yall users out there aint got time for this whole love thing

this DF team provides that pimp service too ...

jst holla

we do it all ... thats how we roll.
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Dec 07, 2006
i think its easy to meet people here...never really thought that would be a problem.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 07, 2006
easternjewel wrote:
easternjewel wrote:Dear camelia,

Best wishes,

DF TEAM

hey EJ! nope..
i wanted company and got it
it was fun talking to DF team.. :)
camelia
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 07, 2006
camelia wrote:
easternjewel wrote:

Best wishes,

DF TEAM

hey EJ! nope..

you are known by the company you keep... :lol: :lol: ...DF the best company in the world...oh and you are fired!! :P
constantine

Dec 07, 2006
Jeevan wrote:dont agree,

in the past year have met many interesting people, its all about the attitude u have and the way u approach the situation, depends on wether ur a conversationalist or an introvert.

cheers

J

u r right. Agree with you. I have the same problem (little bit) as with Mr. Lonely but not 100%. I am here now for 3 years and have got some 3-4 friends due to my work. Also got some friends through some references. I think I have a different situation as my work is of a type where in I dont have to be very much busy but all of the friends are from busy class. So no complaints. So nobody will go with your schedules. Now tuned to it.
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

when Dec 07, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys and gals. With the sage like advice you have provided i am sure to meet tons of people this weekend. Please do not call me and if you need to meet send an email to my PA and she will get back to you if she can fit you into my busy schedule.

:lol:
MrLonely
Dubai Forums Member

Also Dec 07, 2006
If you are a project manager not many people get friendly with you. I think PM's must be the most hated people in any company.
MrLonely
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Also Dec 07, 2006
MrLonely wrote:If you are a project manager not many people get friendly with you. I think PM's must be the most hated people in any company.

Meh. I have no time for haters.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 07, 2006
so what you are really saying is you hate haters?

:shock:
MrLonely
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 07, 2006
constantine wrote:
camelia wrote:
easternjewel wrote:

Best wishes,

DF TEAM

hey EJ! nope..

you are known by the company you keep... :lol: :lol: ...DF the best company in the world...oh and you are fired!! :P

urm... constantine... u might have missed an episode or sth.. :wink: as i couldn't figure when exactly i entitled u to fire anyone, me in particular :roll:
Mr. Lonely, y would PMs be hated? i know a couple, and they're ok..
camelia
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Also Dec 07, 2006
MrLonely wrote:If you are a project manager not many people get friendly with you. I think PM's must be the most hated people in any company.

It's the other way around in my case. I like working with PM but they hate me hahaha.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 07, 2006
You must be a masochist if you like Project managers!

If you asked me to choose between a dentist appointment and a meeting with a project manager. I would go for the root canal.
MrLonely
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance