Is It True?

Topic locked
is it true? Jul 27, 2006
is it true that if you go to a hotel in UAE with your GF, and take a room for two, they won't care for marriage certificate if you are not an arab, but if you are an arab they will ask you for the marriage certificate?!?!?.

someone here in the office was saying that, and if this's true, this's amazingly stupid! i mean if you won't let arabs, don't let anyone do it! actually why to do it? why to ask for marriage certificate?! any two who sleep in the same room will have sex? what if they are cousins traveling together? what if they are just friends traveling or coming here for a visit or what so ever? i don't know just please someone answer if you do know!.

Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 27, 2006
I guess its for the same reason they dont serve Arabs alcohol in hotels but will serve non-arabs
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 27, 2006
ajb wrote:I guess its for the same reason they dont serve Arabs alcohol in hotels but will serve non-arabs

Hahahahahhaha

Another tale of Dubai.

(1) Never heard of ANYONE being asked for a marriage cert. for a hotel.
(2) Go to any bar and you will see Arabs in Dishdasha drinking.

Watch out for the giant bees though, big as your head and will swoop you first chance they get. Terrible problem in Dubai.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 27, 2006
HAHAHAHA, yes this is not true. There are however some hotels/long stay apartments etc that won't let you have a different wife every night ;)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 27, 2006
the alcahols thinggy is for sure, and yes if arabs go to nightclubs or bars they can drink, but since you brought the alcahol issue up, i guess yeah, the hotel thing i heard might be true.
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 27, 2006
Rami wrote:the hotel thing i heard might be true.

It's not true. You won't be asked for a marriage cert.

If in the amazing rare case you do get asked, tell them to mind their own business.
^ian^

Jul 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
ajb wrote:I guess its for the same reason they dont serve Arabs alcohol in hotels but will serve non-arabs

Hahahahahhaha

Another tale of Dubai.

(1) Never heard of ANYONE being asked for a marriage cert. for a hotel.
(2) Go to any bar and you will see Arabs in Dishdasha drinking.

Watch out for the giant bees though, big as your head and will swoop you first chance they get. Terrible problem in Dubai.

Guess I'll need my tennis racket to swat them with!!

Im sure I read somewhere that Muslims aren't allowed to be served alcohol .... maybe thats the ideal but in practice it just doesnt happen huh?
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 27, 2006
ajb wrote:Im sure I read somewhere that Muslims aren't allowed to be served alcohol .... maybe thats the ideal but in practice it just doesnt happen huh?

Correct.
^ian^

Jul 27, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
ajb wrote:Im sure I read somewhere that Muslims aren't allowed to be served alcohol .... maybe thats the ideal but in practice it just doesnt happen huh?

Correct.

The official rule is that no resident is allowed to drink without a liquor license, even in bars. Only tourists are allowed and since you can’t get a liquor license if you are a Muslim this is where all this stems from.

It is not enforced in bars. Well once during my first Ramadan here I was denied access into a bar after the a police officer at the door asked for id and saw my name but only once in many many nights and he said come back after Ramadan, no problem
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Jul 27, 2006
actually one thing to add, I never did go to a bar during Ramadan out of respect after that.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Jul 28, 2006
Technically they're not allowed to serve nationals in local dress alcohol, however many places do because of who goes in there.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 28, 2006
don't ya just love double standards?
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 28, 2006
that's nothing. I heard christians are not allowed to have pre-marital s.e.x. but I suspect some might :wink:
I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 29, 2006
I don't think that any bar should ban someone from drinking unless they are too drunk. People have different ways of following Islam and maybe they don't consider drinking alcohol a huge offense. They should have the choice whether to drink or not, especially if alcohol is available to everyone else.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 29, 2006
That's fine K, but officially nationals are not allowed to wear the dish dash or abaya in a place that serves alcohol. They're supposed to wear other clothing, otherwise it just somehow doesn't look right.

When it comes to booze and Islam, it's haram, that's it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 29, 2006
Okay, maybe that I understand, but Fayz got turned away because of his name, not his clothing.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 29, 2006
kanelli wrote:Okay, maybe that I understand, but Fayz got turned away because of his name, not his clothing.

he has a habit of showing up naked at bars, that might be the reason why he got turned away.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 29, 2006
kanelli wrote:Okay, maybe that I understand, but Fayz got turned away because of his name, not his clothing.

yeah but I heard he wasnt Fayzd by it!! :lol:
ajb
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance