Religion And Politics

Topic locked
Religion and Politics Nov 04, 2012
Now we are nearing the November 6 election for the White House, I was wondering how much religion should be considered when casting your vote?
Mit Romney is a Mormon and says everything he does is ruled by his Church. I'm not sure I like that idea.

And Obama? Do you think black people just vote for him because he's black?

BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Religion and Politics Nov 04, 2012
IMO, religion should stay out of poilitics. There hasnot been a presidental candidate in the US I liked for a while, but then again it isnot my country/election. At least there is still democracy in the US. Democracy in the European Union is going down the drain fast lately.
Yes, I think most blacks just vote for Obama because he is black.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Religion And Politics Nov 04, 2012
And Obama? Do you think black people just vote for him because he's black?

I think Blacks vote more for party than race. I'd say if Bill Clinton ran against a Republican Black presidential candidate in the 90's, Blacks would have overwhelmingly voted for Bill Clinton (of course, he was America's "first Black president").

As for Romney, he actually seems quite moderate (the impression of the average American) compared to many other Republicans. I think most Americans agree with him on social issues but disagree on certain economic ones, or at least the way he is represented. One thing I like about Romney is that he hasn't come across as either irrational or a populist, in the bad sense of the term. My strongest objection to Obama is one where I agree with Romney on: immigration. The United States gave amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants in the 80's and Obama and Democrats support doing this again; in addition to free tuition and other benefits. I believe Romney during the second Presidential debate said he not only opposes giving illegal citizens blanket citizenship (for what?) but would deport illegal immigrants who clearly are here to use government benefits or ones with criminal records.

I'd personally like to see America lax immigration restrictions since 9/11. Nationalities with established track records for assimilation and prosperity should be streamlined to America; there are probably more Indians in Silicon Valley than in street gangs. Any nation that turns its back on these immigrants is only doing itself a tremendous diservice.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Religion And Politics Nov 05, 2012
You speak a lot of sense Ray, dispelling the tag of hater, given by some.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Religion And Politics Nov 08, 2012
There are a lot of dependency of that person .

If he try to break all systems there already staying then he will fail to do that .

So I think if Black vote for him then not for his being black .

blessing of RAMADAN
ali12
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk