Muslims Of France

Topic locked
Muslims of France Dec 26, 2011
Loonwatch has a link to a phenomenal three part film series on the history of Muslims in France over the past 100 years by filmmaker Karim Miské - very interesting documentary:
http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/12/karim- ... of-france/

Write up of part 1 from Al Jazeera:
As issues of immigration and integration raise Europe's political temperature, this three-part series examines the history of Muslim immigration to France - a country where debate continues to rage over how to reconcile a long-standing tradition of secularism with religious diversity.

Today, there are an estimated five million Muslims living in France. A century ago, they were referred to as "colonials". During the 1960s, they were known as "immigrants". Today, they are "citizens". But how have the challenges facing each generation of immigrants changed?

The first part of the series tells the story of the 5,000 Muslims who by 1904 were working on the shop floors of Paris, in the soap factories of Marseilles and in the coalfields of the north; of the Muslim soldiers who fought and died for France during the First World War; and the Muslim members of the resistance who helped liberate Paris in 1944. Born as North Africans, many would die for France. But how much did post-war France care about their sacrifices?

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes ... 86278.html

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Muslims Of France Dec 27, 2011
You wouldn't be trying to wind Herve up now would you Sunshine? His suspension is up tomorrow, but you'd know that wouldn't you?

He has a lot to say about immigration in France.

I have to say the immigrants who work in Charles de Gaulle airport are a right miserable bunch of immigrants. Rude and bloody abrupt! They are so bloody miserable I wonder what they are doing there sometimes.

Never the less, Paris is still a lovely city.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Not everything is about herve and his fantasies. But now you come to mention it - this will indeed expose his more bizare views as being nothing more than Islamophobic paranoia. I hope he's not too grumpy when he comes off the naughty step.

What I liked about the first documentary was all the old footage from WW1 era - as well as the narrative.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I don't think he's coming back. You are too biased for him Shafique. :D
Bethsmum

:D

I think I hurt his feelings early on when I correctly called him out as a 'fiction writer'. Bora told me off at the time (IIRC) - but I correctly spotted his 'talent' and he went on to write a novel. I even understand that there's a character called Shafique in there.. :D :D

Anyway - the footage of WW1 soldiers is eye-opening and an interesting insight into how Muslims were viewed by France back then.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique ,
I doubt your hurt his feelings Shafique, you give yourself far too much credit. I think you forget he has fought for his country and is a hero. I doubt, somehow, that anything said on an internet forum will bother him too much. Now he is finished pyschoanalysing a Muslim fanatic for his book, his work on DF may be done.
I hope he comes back anyway.
:lol: :lol:
Bethsmum

:D Good. I was worried that perhaps he was psychologically scarred when he went off to try and prove that DearJohn was me, and failed. Or perhaps when he was so convinced that the internet hoax was real and kept posting youtube clips of it to try and convince us, before eventually accepting it was a hoax.

At least now he's writing fiction he really can't cause too much harm or embarrassment to himself.

But let's try and keep to the topic about Muslims in France. It is probably a good thing that herve doesn't watch the vids - he will be very confused on how the Muslims were well received and thought of back then.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique ,
There's only one person who I can see that regularly embarrasses himself on here and he isn't French.
To be honest I'm still not convinced you weren't Dearjohn, same as you weren't convinced I didn't post the p<3n under the username BMdaughter.
The internet is a very strange place isn't it? You just never know who you are talking to.

I cannot comment on how the Muslims were received back then and don't really care to be honest.
France is overrun with black people. I've no idea what religion they are.
Bethsmum

LOL - I see that some conspiracy theories are hard to let go.

But c'mon even you must admit that herve made a fool of himself over the internet hoax about Hamas paedophile weddings. And that wasn't the only big blunder he made - but that's in the past now.. I wish him well in his novel writing, he doesn't have to worry about facts and he has shown that he has an active imagination.

Now, it is interesting that you say you don't really care about the subject matter of this thread. Thanks for contributing anyway though - even if it was to bring up herve.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique ,

Get over yourself Sunshine. You are constantly having a pop at people, flowering it up in fancy talk doesn't mask it, you know?
Bethsmum

BM - you are the one that brought up herve. I notice that you and a few others seem to be developing an unhealthy obsession with my posts.. may I suggest again that you just put me on your foe list if you really are irritated by the posts I make.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:BM - you are the one that brought up herve. I notice that you and a few others seem to be developing an unhealthy obsession with my posts.. may I suggest again that you just put me on your foe list if you really are irritated by the posts I make.

Cheers,

Shafique

I don't have a foe list, that's just silly. Do grow up and act your age. You don't irritate me in the slightest. You are giving yourself far too much credit once again.
Bethsmum

Re: Muslims Of France Dec 28, 2011
BM - do you have anything more to add to the subject other than 'France is overrun with black people.' ?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique , No, that's enough, isn't it? They are a bloody miserable bunch at CDG. It's bad enough being asked to remove your shoes, but to be asked to remove your shoes by some random black person with a face like a smacked arse is a step too far. They have been given a job, why not be pleasant along with it?

Why do black people have a major chip on their shoulders?
Bethsmum

Get it out of your system BM - let us know how you really feel about black people in train stations. :roll:

Can you at least try and make an effort to stick to the subject at hand?

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Get it out of your system BM - let us know how you really feel about black people in train stations.

CDG isn't a train station! Silly! Do keep up Sunshine, even you can't be that thick! Google it! :roll:
Dear me! I think you need to travel more.
Bethsmum

Did I say CDG was a train station? There you go again, imagining things that weren't written. ;)

You are now trolling this thread - do try hard and concentrate and keep on topic in future. There's a dear.

The problem with Islamophobia is that it leads to such desecrations as this recent attack on war graves of the Muslim soldiers featured in the OP:
France: Muslim War Graves Attacked

Thirty war graves of Muslim soldiers who fought in World War I have been attacked and defaced in the southern city of Carcassonne.

Racist insults and swastikas were painted on the graves, which are identified by the Islamic symbols of the star and crescent.

Slogans including “France for the French” and “Arabs out” were painted on some of the gravestones, reported daily newspaper Le Figaro.

The graves of Muslim soldiers in the same graveyard were attacked earlier this year in September.

Abdallah Zekri, president of a body that monitors Islamophobia, condemned the attacks on the graves of soldiers who “died for France.”

He pointed to a “significant and very worrying increase in Islamophobia in France.”

He said such attacks are up by 34 percent in 2011. In November alone, these included six fires at mosques in the country.

The graves were cleaned and a religious ceremony to honour the dead is planned for Tuesday morning.

http://www.thelocal.fr/2130/20111227/

Cheers
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Did I say CDG was a train station? There you go again, imagining things that weren't written.

So what was the remark about trains stations about. Just yet another random non-sensical brain spin?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

FD - I refer you to your previous observations about people who can't recognise sarcasm.

I notice that this is yet another thread where your only contribution is an off-topic post. This is getting to be an alarming trend with you - but you can redeem yourself here by posting something vaguely relevant to the thread's topic (if you have something to say, that is).

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

There's no harm in admitting you thought CDG was a train station Shafique, we won't laugh at you, only with you.
When I was six and my dad used to go on about Civvy Street I imagined we would move to a big long street in London. Then again, I was only 6.

Look! we're on page 2 and there's only you talking about how Muslims won the war. I was just trying to keep the topic alive till Herve showed up. If it wasn't down to me replying it would have been another of those tumble weed moments we often see when you've posted. :joker:
Bethsmum

shafique wrote:I notice that this is yet another thread where your only contribution is an off-topic post.

I appreciate your feedback.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

You're welcome FD. (We'll let others decide whether either/both/neither are being sarcastic. ;) )

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:You're welcome FD. (We'll let others decide whether either/both/neither are being sarcastic. )

I really bothers you doesn't it, the sarcasm thing, you are getting kinda obessive over it. And, no I donot need others to make up my mind, I do this myself. I am not in such a great need for validation of virtual avatars.

Now, take your own advice and stay on topic, no more off topic remarks mister!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

LOL - you really do see conspiracies everywhere. Chill out FD - take it easy.

So - do you have anything to say on the subject at hand? The recent Islamophobic attacks against French Muslim soldiers from WW1 - surely you'll at least join me in condemning these.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Chill out FD - take it easy.

Oh ok, I thought keeping on topic was serious business.

Its a disgrace what they did about the graves. Talking about the power of condemnation, there are still some condemnations open for you concerning attacks on white people and jews.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I'm glad you join me in condemning the Islamophobic attacks against Muslim soldiers' graves in France.

As for other attacks - be they on old white gentlemen or Jews, why would you think I do not condemn the attacks? I have consistently condemned all attacks against any civilian - but others have condoned war crimes and even excused the enslavement of virgins. I don't recall you ever chastising them.

If I recall correctly, it was BM who was getting her knickers in a twist over a you-tube video of a Malaysian being beaten up (and she made a joke about how he was having his sandwhiches stolen) - and then kept insinuating that I didn't condemn an attack against a fellow British citizen (even though I had condemned all violence). That spoke more about her preconceptions about non-whites than it did about the attack.

If you are thinking of another instance, provide the reference - but in another thread.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Well I did invite you to condemn the kicking to death of an old white man, by a big black youth during the recent riots. You did your usual song and dance but never did actually say that you did condemn the actions of that particular boy.
If I'm wrong and you did actually say that you condemned the actions of the black youth, then I'm sure you'll reach into your saved posts and repost it. Just for clarification.

I'm sure that poor Malaysian boy is fine now and is managing to eat his sandwiches without a problem. Pity we can't say the same about the old man who was kicked to death by that ferral black youth.
Bethsmum

BM - it really is quite simple. I condemn all acts of violence against innocents/civilians etc - regardless of nationality, religion, race etc. I certainly don't make fun of people who are beaten up and robbed. ;)

C'mon, I'm sure you also agree with me and FD that the Islamphobic attacks in France against the graves of French Muslim WW1 soldiers is a disgrace. Isn't that the real story here?

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:I condemn all acts of violence against innocents/civilians etc - regardless of nationality, religion, race etc.

Empty words, empty words. Obviously, innocent, civilian and justice for that matter have very different meanings to different people. I remember you stating when pregant jewish women and jewish babies were killed it served to higlight the 'occupation'.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Shafique, repeat after me...
I condemn the black youth who kicked the old man to death in the recent riots in London.

Not hard is it?

And for the record, I think it's disgraceful for the graves of Muslim soldiers to be attacked in France, or anywhere else for that matter.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk