Whats France's Interest?

Topic locked
Whats France's interest? Jan 15, 2008
French to open a military base in the UAE.. What would be their interest in the region??

St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 16, 2008
Cheese :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2008
Camel cheese maybe....Oh. I remember aren't they going to make a mega-project of a Lyon stlye city here in UAE. Complete with all the ambience of one can see in that french city.
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 16, 2008
It's all about protecting future energy interests St. L.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 16, 2008
^ian^ wrote:It's all about protecting future energy interests St. L.

True that.... but cant they directly get into a economic-trade agreement.. I think it has more in establishing a military base..certainly not to intimidate the region in the recent future? But, considering the unstable political nature of the region.. I think It's also about sending some strong signals to the region.. and its protectors/friends and foes alike..just to let everyone know .. We are also in the game.. strongly.. From UAE's perspective its a balancing game.. i think.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 16, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:

True that.... but cant they directly get into a economic-trade agreement.. I think it has more in establishing a military base..certainly not to intimidate the region in the recent future? But, considering the unstable political nature of the region.. I think It's also about sending some strong signals to the region.. and its protectors/friends and foes alike..just to let everyone know .. We are also in the game.. strongly.. From UAE's perspective its a balancing game.. i think.

they can go directly into economi trade agreement but countries like USA who have bases ALL around the world are there just to give strong signals to EVERYONE. USA has bases in all the continents apart from Africa. so what does that tell you? Hmmm USA world domination maybe ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2008
rudeboy wrote:
St.Lucifer wrote:

they can go directly into economi trade agreement but countries like USA who have bases ALL around the world are there just to give strong signals to EVERYONE. USA has bases in all the continents apart from Africa. so what does that tell you? Hmmm USA world donmination maybe ;)

Hmm its not just about domination by force.. or like in the earlier centuries.. its for their strategic advantage and for having a strong regional presence to influence developing economies in their interest..

In case of France they've always had ties with middle east.. I guess they lost the edge initially to UK and then in the recent past to the US... so its a revival of sorts I think.. opinions?
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 16, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
St.Lucifer wrote:

they can go directly into economi trade agreement but countries like USA who have bases ALL around the world are there just to give strong signals to EVERYONE. USA has bases in all the continents apart from Africa. so what does that tell you? Hmmm USA world donmination maybe ;)

Hmm its not just about domination by force.. or like in the earlier centuries.. its for their strategic advantage and for having a strong regional presence to influence developing economies in their interest..

In case of France they've always had ties with middle east.. I guess they lost the edge initially to UK and then in the recent past to the US... so its a revival of sorts I think.. opinions?

I am not saying its domination by force. But yeh I agree with you its for their strategic advantage especially when they have to attack on someone else :D. It takes USA only one day to mobilize an attack on any country across the world. A USA base doesnt not just mean their baracks it means they can carry out surveillance by the means of FBI and CIA. I am pretty much sure there are FBI and CIA operatives working from Dubai carrying out surveillance in the neighbouring countries. But then again not everyone knows this but Dubai is also a haven for "terroists". ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2008
hmmm maybe they going to help UAE get its own nuclear plant ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2008
rudeboy wrote:hmmm maybe they going to help UAE get its own nuclear plant ;)

Yes they will, its out already..UAE will surely play their cards well..knowing the fact that they have something these industrialised nations need. Political chess game at the highest level.
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 17, 2008
powerplay... middle east is opening up. they want a piece of the pie..like the european powers did in africa before.
gerberger2
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 17, 2008
hmmm its nuclear power not because of power in the region because we all know USA is already here.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Whats France's interest? Jan 24, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:French to open a military base in the UAE.. What would be their interest in the region??

It's not often one can say the military capability of a country has been weakend by adding forces, but in this case it is entirely justified.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 04, 2008
Few Points:

1: The United States has bases in Africa and are looking to add another in Liberia

2: The FBI investigates Federal crimes, it doesn't "spy" on other nations. That's why we have the CIA and other agencies.

3: France have ecoomic reason to have bases in the region as well, and military bases are a nice way to ensure that they don't lose it.

<-Pike---
Pike
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk