What To Think Of This Offer ?

Topic locked
What to think of this offer ? May 17, 2008
Hey,

I am a 26 years old dive instructor and i just get an offer from the
Burj Al Arab to work with them.
I will get a room at the Emirate Academy (with kitchen and everything), three meal by day and 700 $ by month... (+2 days off by week)

Is it a good offer ? If i don't have to pay for room and food, is 700 $ enough for the rest ? I just like to go out sometime but not every night...

I know everybody ask the same questions but you will really
help me if you can give me some advice.

Thank you.

richard7733
Dubai Forum Guest

May 18, 2008
Hi,

We tend to see lot of similar questions. Its difficult to reply objectively as the answer really depends on the profile of the person and the other options available to him.

a starting point is to understand what other job offers who could consider and what the salary would be. Once you agree that this offer is better than others, one needs to consider the savings objectives you have for yourself. Rent and food is the largest of a single individual's costs.

just make a list of the other cost heads that you can foresee and you can than get the costs of each. Based on that you can calculate if this job satisfies your living and financial objectives.

Cheers
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

May 18, 2008
Well that's a bout 2,500 Dhs a month. Pretty low I'd say.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

... May 18, 2008
"Rent and food is the largest of a single individual's costs. "

I know and it's why i ask. Because room and food is provide by the company, so 700 $ is only pocket money. Is it enough to go out sometime, go to see a movie, eat something nice ?

Another question :
The company will apply for the working permit only after three month of work... Is it ok ? I guess i will work with a tourist visa... can i ?

Thank you for you answers.
richard7733
Dubai Forum Guest

May 19, 2008
Depends how frivalous you are!

Applying for your work visa after three months is certainly NOT ok! You would be working illegally, and what they're saying sounds very didgy to be, almost like they want you on a trial period before they apply for your residency visa.

You cannot work unless you have a work permit and labour card.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 19, 2008
First an foremost it appears strange that the offer is from Burj al Arab. Not the salary but the fact that the work permit is being provided only after 3 months.

Are you sure this offer is from Burj al Arab and not from some agency that has a contract to run the diving centre?

This whole thing looks VERY shady.... I would not take it. Then again it depends what the other options are.
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

May 19, 2008
As far as I know, the Burj Al Arab does not have a dive center. The only dive center that Jumeirah Hotels has is located at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel.
rixia
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 20, 2008
Rixia is correct

The dive centre is attached to the JBH hotel and is outsourced.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 20, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Depends how frivalous you are!

Applying for your work visa after three months is certainly NOT ok! You would be working illegally, and what they're saying sounds very didgy to be, almost like they want you on a trial period before they apply for your residency visa.

You cannot work unless you have a work permit and labour card.

Well yes it's legal to work for week under visit visa and chances of getting caught is less. If the company offered visit visa and authorities ask just tell them you are there for business....

Good thing of not getting work permit is you try out the job and if you dont like it saves time and money for both u and your employer. In meantime ou can get adjusted to the environment and built up contacts.

Work permit takes a month until you get labour card .... costs around 4000-5000 and would be good to get one if you like the job.

Just make sure you dont sign agreement if there is anything you dont like and if they say things like "we cant change it for u" or "it has always been like that" Bull that - be serious and leave it.
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

May 20, 2008
mistake
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

May 20, 2008
I may well be mistaken, but I think they are referring to your probation period. This is fixed as a minimum of three months - by law.

Although they still have to apply for a labour card and residency visa for you during this time.

Unlike the above post which says you can work legally for a week on a visit visa... you can't (it is illegal) and will be fined/ deported if caught.

Also considering the nature of the job, I would definitely not work illegally. God forbid, but if one of your trainees/ clients had to have an accident in the pool or die while you were working illegally... well, they throw you in jail and throw the key away!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum