Employer Retaining Passport In Dubai

Topic locked
Aug 23, 2006
kanelli wrote:Yes, they can. They officially inform the UAE government and the public that passports from their country are not allowed to be kept by employers at all. All a person needs to do is show the official letter from their government and tell the employer that they are not authorised to give them their passport and the employer is not authorised to hold it.

But the reality is the employer will find another employee. I know one real instance of this, the lady said no I'm keeping my passport the said thank you for stopping by and went to the next person on the list.

I'm lucky as I’m an independent and am very specialized in what I do (only 4 of us in the world) but I work closely with many very smart,successful,educated people from many walks of life including fellow Canadians who don't have their own passports.

Is it right? absolutely NOT!!!

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 23, 2006
That could be true, but this plan could definitely work if all the other embassies also issued the same letters.

It must be worth their time to do this, because of all the people complaining to them about the employers keeping the passports and other problems related to that.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 28, 2006
almost happened to me.. good thing i got it back before its too late..
now they wont give me my salary coz they wont let me leave their company
argh!!! they can stuff their mouth with their money hope they'll choke on their own sh*t
tomato
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 28, 2006
The British Embassy will do nothing, I called and asked them about it and their reply was simple, 'It shouldn't happen, but it does, and there's nothing we can do'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 28, 2006
Yeah if anything the Ministry of Labor would be the one to complain to and not your embassy.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
fayz wrote:I'm lucky as I’m an independent and am very specialized in what I do (only 4 of us in the world)

I didnt know there are only 4 pimp daddies in the world
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 28, 2006
The amazing thing is, even though it has been clearly clarified by the UAE Government that and Employer is not allowed to hold the Employee's passport, if the Labour office comes to your office for inspection, you will be penalised if you are not able to produce all of your employees passports.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 29, 2006
S&O...

are you sure they check for passports, and not for labor cards?; which is what each employee really needs.

Thing is if a company takes your passport, they keep the labor card. The employee actually should have both, but rarely happens!
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 29, 2006
ineedacoolnick wrote:S&O...

are you sure they check for passports, and not for labor cards?; which is what each employee really needs.

Thing is if a company takes your passport, they keep the labor card. The employee actually should have both, but rarely happens!

Currently what they do is demand to see the Passports and they have an unbelievably bad attitude as if everone is an illegal.

My Employer, ensures that all of the people regardless of Nationality retain their own Passport & Labour Card. I guess we are one of the few.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 29, 2006
MaaaD wrote:
fayz wrote:I'm lucky as I’m an independent and am very specialized in what I do (only 4 of us in the world)

I didnt know there are only 4 pimp daddies in the world

Big Pimp'n with MAAAD skilz :lol: :lol:
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 30, 2006
inform your employer in writing that you would like the passport back, if they refuse, then suggest to them that you feel it may have been lost or even stolen whilst in thier possesion - and that the normal procedure to replace the lost document is to report it to the police (which it actually is), the police have to visit the office and open a case for the "lost" document.

no employer wants all this hassle and in anycase the can't argue with the police and will be forced to return it to you. the fine for them loosing your passport is in the region of 5,000AED AND they are also responsible for all the replacement costs that you may incure (including having a new visa affixed in your passport).

it's like a poker game, you have to bluff a little, but be prepared to use a big stick if necissary :lol:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum