WASEL Cash Grab?

Topic locked
WASEL Cash Grab? Feb 17, 2006
Speaking of 7 Days...

Have you all seen that there are now at least three Etisalat WASEL customers who are now reporting that they have been subscribed to GPRS without their authorisation and are being charged money for it? It was reported in the Letters to the Editor section over the past few days.

Have any of you noticed missing money from your WASEL account?

One person was told by Etisalat they'd remove the service, but the previous charges would not be refunded. Could this be a cash grab? Etisalat subscribes people and takes money until they notice something funny. Then refuse to refund the money after?

I'm calling Etisalat to make sure they don't subscribe me.

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 17, 2006
hmmm this is interesting and explains something I'll need to check out. A friend of mine was saying when she switched to the new cards ($25/$40) it seemed to run out considerably faster than the old ones.

Thanks for the heads up.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 18, 2006
hmm,

checked my balance right away seems to be intact :) i guess will have to check it regularly, who knows when someone might get duped.

cheers,

jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 18, 2006
whatta rip off! :x just hope the new operator (EITC) would make a better operator than Etisalat!
ross392
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 18, 2006
i wouldnt count on it
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 18, 2006
time will tell
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Feb 20, 2006
Here is an article I missed from Khaleej Times. http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Displayarti ... ary393.xml

Apparently there have been some "errors".

Here is a letter to the editor comment after the Feb. 14 article was published.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayLetters.asp

Wrong connection

20 February 2006

THIS is regarding the dispute over the Wasel connection subscribers being forced to pay Dh50 for an error committed by Etisalat. Thanks to Khaleej Times for bringing the news out in the first place, and then publishing the apology from the department. But a lot of questions still remain unanswered. How did it happen that all the Wasel subscribers requested for the GPRS service together, so that the same amount had to be deducted from everyone’s account? It is very funny to note that from October 2005 onwards, the charges were deducted at Dh10 per month, even though the connection was not activated.

The department’s excuse was that we, the subscribers had dialled 122, which is the number that has to be dialled for recharging. I noticed recently from the advertisements displayed at the Etisalat counters that 122 is for GPRS connection. But how can simply dialling 122 activate a connection? Normally, connections are activated only after a lot of dialling, voicemail reply etc. It may be a technical fault of the department, or are they trying to make more money through these methods? I request ‘Khaleej Times’ to bring out the truth to the public. I have been subscribing to your paper for the past 17 years, and your previous reports about scandals have been enlightening.

— G. P. Unni, by e-mail
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 20, 2006
My friend had this exxact thing happen to her and they refused the refund - thieving bastards!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 23, 2006
I am showing a negative balance at the moment...should I get worried???
vixnax
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat