Cash Point Scam

Topic locked
Cash Point Scam May 30, 2006
I can't believe this has started happening in Dubai! It's quite regular in the UK now, so you guys in Dubai should startkeeping your eyes peeled for anything strange-looking on ATM's

Home » Local News
CASHPOINT SCAM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Published on: Tuesday, 30th May, 2006 | Permanent Link | no responses

Hundreds of people could have had their financial details stolen after crooks hacked into an ATM machine. The fraudsters used a device known as a ‘skimmer’ to read the magnetic information on people’s cards as they used an ATM in Umm Suqeem.

The device also filmed them typing in their PIN numbers. The fraud meant that everyone who used the ATM between May 16 and 24, when the device was discovered, has had to be issued with new bank cards.

Emirates Bank, which owns the ATM in question, last night refused to say how many customers had been affected and how much – if any – money has been stolen. Although banks say they did their best to inform customers their cards had been cancelled for security reasons, 7DAYS received several complaints from people who only found out when they tried to use their cards.

“Every time I tried to withdraw money my card was declined,” said Jennie Brown. “No one called me from the bank to tell me and when I called ME Bank they said they were still getting around to calling customers,” she said.

A skimmer is a tiny device that fits over the card slot on an ATM, reading the card’s number as it is inserted. It also contains a small camera to film the PIN number. Banks said last night they are inspecting all ATM machines and are taking ‘precautionary measures’ to try to prevent a similar incident in future.

Police are also understood to be investigating.

G
Dubai Forums Talker

May 30, 2006
This is quite a common problem in the UK. The banks are dealing with it by putting camera's to cover all cash machines.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 30, 2006
It always gets me that these are actually quite clever ideas. The attention to detail to set this all up and make it all look like its part of the normal ATM is mind boggling.
If only these people could channel their hard work and ingenuity into something legal - the world would be a much better place!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 30, 2006
In the main the organised gangs running these scams are Eastern euopean.
arniegang

May 30, 2006
arniegang wrote:In the main the organised gangs running these scams are Eastern euopean.

Interesting though that it happened in Dubai around the same time as the DFM was formed..........hmmmmm
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 30, 2006
fayz wrote:
arniegang wrote:In the main the organised gangs running these scams are Eastern euopean.

Interesting though that it happened in Dubai around the same time as the DFM was formed..........hmmmmm

Its pure coincidence - and anymore of that talk, and I'll be getting DK to talk to his henchmen, erm, I mean "associates".
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Skimmers May 30, 2006
http://www.garda.ie/angarda/crimeprev/cadvice_atm.html

Beware! pretty detailed and authentic...lots of attention to detail...

As you said Z - think these guys need to channel their creativity into perhaps wood work/carpentry!
thorntonashley
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 30, 2006
....or even just running forums!! :)
G
Dubai Forums Talker

May 30, 2006
dont mess with the DFM

:evil: :evil:
arniegang

May 30, 2006
I categorically deny that the DFM had any involvement in this hideous action...

PS - Arnie, lets hit RAK tomorrow... :lol:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 30, 2006
Nosher and the boys say it wasn't them and besides they had already hired the JCB...they will have to return it now and lose their deposit as it is no longer required!

He's a bit upset someone got there first!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 30, 2006
Liban wrote:PS - Arnie, lets hit RAK tomorrow... :lol:

I categorically deny that we are planning to hit RAK tomorrow...

PS - Arnie, that statement is just a ruse to sidetrack our detractors.... DFM 4 EVER!!!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 30, 2006
DF Mafioso Rules fellow Don's
arniegang

May 31, 2006

We had our first case of this type of scam recently in NZ however it was organised and executed by a Canadian.
ajb
Dubai chat master

May 31, 2006
ajb wrote:

We had our first case of this type of scam recently in NZ however it was organised and executed by a Canadian.

Fayz, What say you?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 31, 2006
ajb wrote:

Do you have the dates and can we compare them with the movements of one 'Kanelli'? She is reported missing...Hmmm. Curious?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 31, 2006
Well considering he looked like a balding 40 something y/o guy then we can probably count Kanelli out ..... his downfall was purchasing large quantities of phone cards from a store with surveilance cameras ... however he skipped the country before we could nab him!
ajb
Dubai chat master

May 31, 2006
ajb wrote:Well considering he looked like a balding 40 something y/o guy then we can probably count Kanelli out ..... his downfall was purchasing large quantities of phone cards from a store with surveilance cameras ... however he skipped the country before we could nab him!

Sounds like Arnie!

Got any of those phone cards left mate?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat