Urgent Help Need For Magazine Story About Dubai

Topic locked
Urgent Help Need For Magazine Story About Dubai Jul 19, 2006
Hi I’m writing from Loaded magazine in the UK. We’re coming to Dubai to do a travel feature and if possible would like some assistance.

In the piece there’s a section on food and dining out. We’ve found it easy to do almost all international cuisine (Dubai has some wonderful places), but are having problems finding places that do traditional Arabic cuisine. We’re particularly interested in having a nibble on Sheep’s eyes (if this exists) and would like to know if there’s any place that serves this dish.

I realise this a slightly strange request but any help would be brilliant.

Cheers

Martin

santamarl
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 19, 2006
Martin, you would have to actually go to a local house to have that. i dont think any restuarants will have that. however if you want sheep's brain alot of lebanese restuarants will serve you that in a sandwich. Just ask for Inkha'at i think Mallah on Diyafah Street has them. good luck.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 19, 2006
Maad can u let us know what is the dish that martin is talking about? :)

jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 19, 2006
Thanks Maaad,

sheeps brain sandwiches. very intriguing and just what we're looking for. I'll post back here after the experience.
santamarl
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 19, 2006
santamarl wrote:Thanks Maaad,

sheeps brain sandwiches. very intriguing and just what we're looking for. I'll post back here after the experience.

ya i actually like them :oops: Zahret Lebnan in Abu Dhabi makes the best.

pm me if you need more info on finding the place.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 19, 2006
ya i actually like them :oops: Zahret Lebnan in Abu Dhabi makes the best.

pm me if you need more info on finding the place.[/quote]

Maaad, if you have directions that would be brilliant. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Downtown Dubai. It's about 80 miles to AD isn't it?

cheers
santamarl
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 19, 2006
you dont have to go all the way to AD, Al Mallah in Dubai will be just fine. Just take a cab let them take you to Dhiyfah street. Al Mallah will be a big restuarant with huge green neon lights. you wont miss it !! let us know if you like it !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 19, 2006
will do. Thanks again.
santamarl
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 19, 2006
Silence Of the Lambs 8) 8)
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 19, 2006
Corcovado wrote:Silence Of the Lamps 8) 8)

You do mean lambs don't you dear?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 19, 2006
umm sheep brain isnt exactly 'local cuisine' , wat exactly is 'sheep's eyes'?literally? i've had fish eyes before :P
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Urgent Help Need For Magazine Story About Dubai Jul 19, 2006
santamarl wrote:Hi I’m writing from Loaded magazine in the UK. We’re coming to Dubai to do a travel feature and if possible would like some assistance.

In the piece there’s a section on food and dining out. We’ve found it easy to do almost all international cuisine (Dubai has some wonderful places), but are having problems finding places that do traditional Arabic cuisine. We’re particularly interested in having a nibble on Sheep’s eyes (if this exists) and would like to know if there’s any place that serves this dish.

I realise this a slightly strange request but any help would be brilliant.

Cheers

Martin

Dear Martin , i am sure you are not the cousin of jimmy oliver:0).
How come you are travelling all the way from UK to Dubai for the sake of one dish .Can you tell me what is da special interest behind this dish?
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jul 20, 2006
HP - loaded is a Lads magazine kinda like Ralph (in Aus) they do really gross stuff in it like weird things to eat. (loaded site is blocked in uae)

It's a kinda cross between a p0rn mag/health/fashion/sport mag. It's quite humorous but banal, also if you read it your girlfriend wouldn't get upset cause they girls in it are not totally n@ked
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 20, 2006
Ralph is at least tasteful.

I miss Ralph.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 20, 2006
scarlet wrote:HP - loaded is a Lads magazine kinda like Ralph (in Aus) they do really gross stuff in it like weird things to eat. (loaded site is blocked in uae)

It's a kinda cross between a p0rn mag/health/fashion/sport mag. It's quite humorous but banal, also if you read it your girlfriend wouldn't get upset cause they girls in it are not totally n@ked

Thanks scarlet for explaining , u r such a nice girl . :wink: I can only cook eggs and potato so i have no idea about food stuff :roll:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jul 21, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Ralph is at least tasteful.

I miss Ralph.

My friend works for Ralph in Paris - very nice of her to keep me in good supply.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2006
I went to Al Hallab yesterday, one in mall of Emirates and Garhoud, and they had Brain salad on the menu
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 23, 2006
This thread made me crave some cooked lamb brains :twisted:

i had them the other day .. delicious .. i wonder if martin was able to get some ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2006
Lamb brains? Gak! :P
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 23, 2006
they're tasty. Actually I guess it is a bit late but the best place I've had them at was Safadi, not the one on SZR but the original Deira one.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 23, 2006
MaaaD wrote:This thread made me crave some cooked lamb brains :twisted:

i had them the other day .. delicious .. i wonder if martin was able to get some ..

That is sooooo gross ....
Cargirl
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 23, 2006
Why is it gross> Do you like liver, the french eat snails....
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Brain Drain Aug 07, 2006
Thought i'd better post back and let you know how it went.

well, put it this way it wasn't the tastiest food i've had my life-but it was a certainly an experience. I had in mind that it would be an indoor restaurant, but it was actually outside-and had McDonalds type pictures of the food you could have. I chose 'Mutton Brain and Fries'

I managed a fair bit of the brain (imagine a fleshy tasting mushroom and you're getting near) but then the photographer started making jokes about Scrapie and it kind of killed the mood. But i wasn't getting out of it that easily. As the waiter decided he would stand over me, dinner lady style,and make sure i polished off the entire plate.

Thanks for everyone and their help-i'd def recommend it. Even if you don't fancy a bit of brains, the fruit shakes are delicious.
santamarl
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 07, 2006
MaaaD wrote:This thread made me crave some cooked lamb brains :twisted:

lamb brains are delicious yummyy :lol:

hmm i guess i will have to buy some this weekend:)
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Brain Drain Aug 07, 2006
santamarl wrote:Thought i'd better post back and let you know how it went.

well, put it this way it wasn't the tastiest food i've had my life-but it was a certainly an experience. I had in mind that it would be an indoor restaurant, but it was actually outside-and had McDonalds type pictures of the food you could have. I chose 'Mutton Brain and Fries'

I managed a fair bit of the brain (imagine a fleshy tasting mushroom and you're getting near) but then the photographer started making jokes about Scrapie and it kind of killed the mood. But i wasn't getting out of it that easily. As the waiter decided he would stand over me, dinner lady style,and make sure i polished off the entire plate.

Thanks for everyone and their help-i'd def recommend it. Even if you don't fancy a bit of brains, the fruit shakes are delicious.

Thanks for the tips Martin>

BTW how did you find Dubai?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 07, 2006
very hot. def wrong time of the year to visit.
santamarl
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 07, 2006
i agree with Cargirl this is soooooooooooo gross.

Why dont we change the subject to intestines, stuffed heart and pressed tongue

yuk
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 13, 2006
Tongues are really more an Iranian specialty over arabic :P :P :P

The Iranian place in the Rolex building makes a mean tongue
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 14, 2006
arniegang wrote:i agree with Cargirl this is soooooooooooo gross.

Why dont we change the subject to intestines, stuffed heart and pressed tongue

yuk

Actually i love Brain... Not gross.

Also it is Stuffed intestines (mombar) yummmyyy they look like the bellony or .. big sussages, Heart (not big fan) and tounge.. i love it as sandwitches with salad and mayo.

More over the liver, kiddneys, and :roll: testicles :twisted:

Yeah, they also give..... stamina... Recommended for newly weds ;)

Oax tail, head meat and the legs cartriage.

Yeah forgot to say..... The only eyes i ate was the fish.

Bon Appettiet.
yshimy

Aug 14, 2006
How about stuffed hearts, absolutely yummy
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat