What would you tell everyone?

Indian
91%
English
9%

Total votes : 11

May 21, 2009
My view about this matter is simple:

People in general tends to feed their own ego and by doing so, they want to justify to themselves (even subconsciously) -- sometimes bluntly to others that they are better than the other.

It's human nature. We can't do anything about it. However, the thing that we have control over of, is to treat other human being with respect (meaning, even if I think I am better than you, there is no point in me bragging about it and emotionally hurting you at the same time).

This applies to both sides -- the person being questioned about his nationality and the person putting the questions forward.

Say for example that I am a person who was born in the Philippines and raised in France, and had been asked "Where are you from?"

"I am originally from the Philippines, grew up and raised in France." said in a tone that is humble, straightforward but not bragging.

What do you think the other person will think? Read above.

I guess you know the answer.

farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

May 22, 2009
I think the default should be the country you have spent most of your life in and have a matching passport for. That alone should make a person comfortably say they are from that country, not the racial background etc. or what country is on their birth certificate.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 22, 2009
He might even say he's Indo-British if he wants the best (and worst!) of both worlds?

Dre, the poll gave too few choices maybe. I answered 'Indian' though for sake of helping.

What is wrong is that there is a fear in the guy in your scenario giving his answer, in case the person asking just wants to know if they are 'superior' in race. I guess people like this do exist because this thread is full of this notion. I've never knowingly experienced racial discrimination against myself, and I hope that's because I try to meet everyone equally, from workmen who come to my home to fix something, to Arab dignitaries.

I'm not saying that subconsciously I don't have pre-conceived notions about racial characteristics, but I fight that idea when I meet people. Whatever may be true broadly of a race (and such characteristics do often exist, as a wide notion and a percentage of population - Singaporeans being ultra hard working for example, my long personal experience really bears that out), it cannot just be applied unthinkingly to individuals.

I do ask people 'where are you from?' but out of pure curiosity, so I can ask them about their country or their experiences. My response to their reply would not be a sour face or a harsh word. The ONLY things that matter are their personality and actions. There are many intelligent Indians, peaceful Israelis. humble Brits, quiet Americans, etc etc. To judge people on the basis of their nationality is the occupation of those of lower intelligence. To educate those of lower intelligence must be the occupation of those with more grey matter.

I say lower intelligence rather than lack of experience, because in general only people of lower intelligence will try to judge others on the basis of racial sterotypes without having sufficient personal experience to make a valid judgement.

++
My definition of intelligence for above purposes is: Intelligence is a person's capacity to (1) acquire knowledge (i.e. learn and understand), (2) apply knowledge (solve problems), and (3) engage in abstract reasoning. It is the power of one's intellect, and as such is clearly a very important aspect of one's overall well-being. Psychologists have attempted to measure it for well over a century.
Stolen from http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/intelligence.html :)
++
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2009
Jeez mate thats a bit heavy for a Friday morning :coffee:
busa
Dubai forums Addict

May 22, 2009
I don't know exactly but I guess that question "Where are you from?" is not polite in the West. Correct me please if it's not right.

Contrary it's the most common question in Dubai and a man who asks such a question is waiting for definite reply which matches his/her stereotype.

I understand why this poll is about Indians because they racially differ from Westerners.
I don't think it won't be a problem when the guy is starting to reply in good English language. Everybody understand immediately where he/she is from.

I frequently met Canadians of Persian origin in Dubai and after a short talk I forgot that my partner was from other racial group and culture.

In my case, as I from the same racial group as Westerners, many people are waiting from me for some Western European country as a reply. Sometimes I name a small European country, sometimes Russia.
If I tell the truth people think that I jeer at them because their stereotype about Russians doesn't match my appearance and behavior.

I think it's the question of personal self-identification. Who is Mr.Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google? Russian man or Jew? Of course he is American.

Thanks God, that I don't have such a dilemma.
:D :D :D
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 22, 2009
busa wrote:Jeez mate thats a bit heavy for a Friday morning :coffee:

:D You can just tell I had a quiet night in (as opposed to a great night out, Smashey...).
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I don't know exactly but I guess that question "Where are you from?" is not polite in the West. Correct me please if it's not right.

Some people do not like to be asked. I presume they have their own internal conflicts/shame. But in Dubai where we are all from somewhere else, it is normal and usually accepted as you say. I even ask local-looking dish-dash wearers if they are Emirati as they could be Omani, etc, I'm only curious and mean no harm.

Contrary it's the most common question in Dubai and a man who asks such a question is waiting for definite reply which matches his/her stereotype.

As you say, it is the problem that people are looking for stereotypes, to reinforce their own prejudices.

I understand why this poll is about Indians because they racially differ from Westerners.
I don't think it won't be a problem when the guy is starting to reply in good English language. Everybody understand immediately where he/she is from.

I frequently met Canadians of Persian origin in Dubai and after a short talk I forgot that my partner was from other racial group and culture.

You take people for what they are and not for how you expect them to be, that's good.

In my case, as I from the same racial group as Westerners, many people are waiting from me for some Western European country as a reply. Sometimes I name a small European country, sometimes Russia.
If I tell the truth people think that I jeer at them because their stereotype about Russians doesn't match my appearance and behavior.

I tan easily and have dark hair so I get mistaken for a local in many hot countries. It doesn't offend me and means I can get good service in bars and restaurants! :D. But when they ask I always say truthfully I am English.

I think it's the question of personal self-identification. Who is Mr.Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google? Russian man or Jew? Of course he is American.

Americans anyway are proud of their mixed heritage. Let's face it even the British are a mongrel race, until 1000 years ago we were invaded and interbred by many other European countries . :D

Thanks God, that I don't have such a dilemma.
:D :D :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2009
Well i spent a great night grafting and its still only 07.06 Hrs
busa
Dubai forums Addict

May 22, 2009
You're four hours behind the UAE timezone then, where are you, the Azores??
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2009
western sahara,i feel so blessed
busa
Dubai forums Addict

May 22, 2009
OMG, what are you a rigger?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2009
So close to miss reading that,but no i aint
busa
Dubai forums Addict

May 22, 2009
:D I thought that after I saw it in print too! :o
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2009
Speedhump wrote:He might even say he's Indo-British if he wants the best (and worst!) of both worlds?

Dre, the poll gave too few choices maybe. I answered 'Indian' though for sake of helping.

What is wrong is that there is a fear in the guy in your scenario giving his answer, in case the person asking just wants to know if they are 'superior' in race. I guess people like this do exist because this thread is full of this notion. I've never knowingly experienced racial discrimination against myself, and I hope that's because I try to meet everyone equally, from workmen who come to my home to fix something, to Arab dignitaries.

I'm not saying that subconsciously I don't have pre-conceived notions about racial characteristics, but I fight that idea when I meet people. Whatever may be true broadly of a race (and such characteristics do often exist, as a wide notion and a percentage of population - Singaporeans being ultra hard working for example, my long personal experience really bears that out), it cannot just be applied unthinkingly to individuals.

I do ask people 'where are you from?' but out of pure curiosity, so I can ask them about their country or their experiences. My response to their reply would not be a sour face or a harsh word. The ONLY things that matter are their personality and actions. There are many intelligent Indians, peaceful Israelis. humble Brits, quiet Americans, etc etc. To judge people on the basis of their nationality is the occupation of those of lower intelligence. To educate those of lower intelligence must be the occupation of those with more grey matter.

I say lower intelligence rather than lack of experience, because in general only people of lower intelligence will try to judge others on the basis of racial sterotypes without having sufficient personal experience to make a valid judgement.

++
My definition of intelligence for above purposes is: Intelligence is a person's capacity to (1) acquire knowledge (i.e. learn and understand), (2) apply knowledge (solve problems), and (3) engage in abstract reasoning. It is the power of one's intellect, and as such is clearly a very important aspect of one's overall well-being. Psychologists have attempted to measure it for well over a century.
Stolen from http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/intelligence.html :)
++

Thumbs to you SH.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

May 22, 2009
I get asked "Where are you from?" I answer "Florida" because many times we Americans want to know the State or region. Are you a Yankee, Southerner, or Midwesterner.

Yet bizarro people ask "No, where are you from originally?" I'm like okay "I was born in Cali but Florida is where I grew up." Then they have the nerve to ask where my parents are from. Excuse me but what do my parents have to do with anything unless they are standing next to me and you want to get to know them instead of me? Anyway I answer their question..."Cali and NY" Then they get so weird and sometimes look upset. Then they want to know where my grandparents are from. So I anwer the same States and Iowa.

It's really strange but always want to know the nationalities and cultures of my great or great-great or more great grandparents but never care what MY nationality is. :? How am I supposed to know about the lives of dead people from 150 years + ago? It's not like I'm royalty and can look at manuscripts and paintings. Yet people expect me to know where my immigrant ancestors came from and such.

Why is this? :?
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

May 22, 2009
farthestpoint wrote:When one is brown-skinned, isn't it funny to say that "I'm American/British?"

brown skin is such a typical American look. Native-Americans are a reddish brown color or various colors for that matter. Lots of Americans of any race like to get a tan. The US is swarming with brown skin. If you're specifying Filipinos well those of Filipino descent have been in the US for around 200 years. They're the first documented Asian on American soil before the Chinese and Japanese so Filipino, Chinese, and Japanese looks are a very "old school American look."
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

May 22, 2009
Will someone get Puppypoop off my back please?

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 23, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Will someone get Puppypoop off my back please?

We've three piceteers of DFs

:lol: :lol:
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 23, 2009
puppypup wrote:I get asked "Where are you from?" I answer "Florida" because many times we Americans want to know the State or region. Are you a Yankee, Southerner, or Midwesterner.

Yet bizarro people ask "No, where are you from originally?" I'm like okay "I was born in Cali but Florida is where I grew up." Then they have the nerve to ask where my parents are from. Excuse me but what do my parents have to do with anything unless they are standing next to me and you want to get to know them instead of me? Anyway I answer their question..."Cali and NY" Then they get so weird and sometimes look upset. Then they want to know where my grandparents are from. So I anwer the same States and Iowa.

It's really strange but always want to know the nationalities and cultures of my great or great-great or more great grandparents but never care what MY nationality is. :? How am I supposed to know about the lives of dead people from 150 years + ago? It's not like I'm royalty and can look at manuscripts and paintings. Yet people expect me to know where my immigrant ancestors came from and such.

Could it be due to the fact that your a nut and look Philipino?

Florida is full of Cubans and I bet when Mel Martinez says that he is from Florida nobody asks him "where" he is from. Same goes for Mexicans in Cali. I can understand somebody asking Arnold Schawrzneger that question and he culd rightly say he is "from" Austria (even though he is the Chief Executive of the great state of CA) but trust me millions of hard working people who Ceasar Chavez stood for are just as "Americans" as anyone else.

So just get it through your thick head that the problem is with you not EVERYBODY you come across. Think about it, they are not all crazy. We may call the incident where an Arab thought you looked like a maid, an isolated incident but what about all those "bizarro" people you meet everyday.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

May 23, 2009
WhiteJade wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Will someone get Puppypoop off my back please?

We've three piceteers of DFs

:lol: :lol:

picketers? ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 23, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
puppypup wrote:I get asked "Where are you from?" I answer "Florida" because many times we Americans want to know the State or region. Are you a Yankee, Southerner, or Midwesterner.

Could it be due to the fact that your a nut and look Philipino?

Florida is full of Cubans and I bet when Mel Martinez says that he is from Florida nobody asks him "where" he is from. Same goes for Mexicans in Cali. I can understand somebody asking Arnold Schawrzneger that question and he culd rightly say he is "from" Austria (even though he is the Chief Executive of the great state of CA) but trust me millions of hard working people who Ceasar Chavez stood for are just as "Americans" as anyone else.

So just get it through your thick head that the problem is with you not EVERYBODY you come across. Think about it, they are not all crazy. We may call the incident where an Arab thought you looked like a maid, an isolated incident but what about all those "bizarro" people you meet everyday.

LOL 'It's not me, it's all the others...' :D :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 23, 2009
it's not the crowds I can't stand; it's the individuals IN in the crowds....
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 24, 2009
Interesting post. I say I am Indian, but settled in UK. I enjoy the British and Indian cultures and would want my next generation to learn from both. Hope they turn into hippies by mixing meditation, boom shive with Indie Pop music.
karans
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 24, 2009
karans wrote:Interesting post. I say I am Indian, but settled in UK. I enjoy the British and Indian cultures and would want my next generation to learn from both. Hope they turn into hippies by mixing meditation, boom shive with Indie Pop music.

I like that :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 24, 2009
karans wrote:Interesting post. I say I am Indian, but settled in UK. I enjoy the British and Indian cultures and would want my next generation to learn from both. Hope they turn into hippies by mixing meditation, boom shive with Indie Pop music.

Will be well-rounded to say the least.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat