Plane Crash On Emirates Road

Topic locked
Plane crash on Emirates Road Sep 03, 2010
Hearing reports of a Cargo Plane crashing on Emirates Road, anyone have any news?

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Plane crash on Emirates Road Sep 03, 2010
American Cargo Plane, all American crew are dead is what I am reading, some cars on fire on Emirates Rd near Al Ain turn off!
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Al Arabiya TV is reporting that a plane has crashed in the United Arab Emirates city, although information is scarce at this time. It is thought that the plane was an American Cargo plane, which is now on fire along with some cars.

They are reporting that everyone on board may have been killed, but that has not been confirmed.

There is no word about casualties or about how or why the plane went down. It is not known how many passengers were on board.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

updated 18 minutes ago
Share Print Font:
BREAKING NEWS
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — An American cargo plane attempting to land at Dubai's airport instead crashed nearby Friday, setting some cars on fire and killing several people, Al Arabiya television reported.
Ambulances were rushing to the area, located near a residential district, the station added. It did not report the model of aircraft or its size. The dead were thought to be the cargo plane's crew.
A large section of the plane was visibly on fire before it crashed.
Al Arabiya said the plane crashed on a highway, but the UAE's news agency said it was an unpopulated area.
This report will be updated as information becomes available.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

This from WAM:

Cargo plane crashes in Dubai

Sep 3, 2010 - 08:47 -
WAM Dubai, Sep 03rd, 2010 (WAM)--A cargo plane crashed today evening in uninhabited district in Dubai.

WAM/MN

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Plane Crash On Emirates Road Sep 03, 2010
It was a UPS cargo plane.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

JessicaSwann
@algergawi Ive just spoken w Dubai One's Kimberly Leonard live on the scene its on Al Ain Rd just past Emirates Rd opposite Silicone Oasis
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I heard it from Trade Centre, just a loud bang like a firework going off in the distance. No idea it was a plane crash.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Plane crash on Emirates Road Sep 04, 2010
It's a UPS Cargo Boeing 747-400. Came down just off emirates road and al ain road, near to or even inside the militay base there.

Passed the scene just after 10pm - still a lot of smoke around and plenty of emergency services.
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Plane Crash On Emirates Road Sep 04, 2010
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The local media are terrible, vague and inconsistant reports. Two dead? Only two crew for a 747? Don't they normally have at least 3 on the flight deck?

-- Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:05 am --

Ok, so as I said before the local media are appalling in their reporting. Having spoken to people 'in the know' here's what actually happened.

The plane took off from Dubai en route to Cologne. Between Doha and Bahrain a fire alarm goes off and smoke is detected in the cockpit. Instead of choosing to make an emergency landing at the nearest airport, the Captain decides to turn around and come back to Dubai - bad decision as it turns out!

By the time they are on approach to Dubai, the cockpit is so full of smoke, that they flight crew cannot read their instruments and are relying on ATC (air traffic control) to give them altitude and speed information. The aircraft overshoots the runway in Dubai and carries on towards Silicon Oasis. The pilot literally flies the plane into the ground, missing populated areas by mere metres. The place crashes just outside the military base between Emirates Road and the Al Ain highway.

So the upshot is, bad decision by the pilot and more people weren't killed due to sheer luck.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

All the reports say that this happened after a "take off" from Dubai. Nothing is mentioned about an aborted emergency landing. Not even from UPS. Who did you speak to that is "in the know"?

It seems a little unlikely that a plane on fire between Doha and Bahrain would seek to return to Dubai (an hour's flight time?), when they could have landed somewhere nearer (i.e Doha or Bahrain).

And in all likelihood, it was the skill of the pilots wrestling with a plane that's on fire that prevented further loss of life, rather than luck......
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Cargo 747's only have 2/3 crew on board.
arniegang

Lucky thing there it it not land in a populated are like Oasis where a lot of pilots live. Our pilot lives there.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:Lucky thing there it it not land in a populated are like Oasis where a lot of pilots live. Our pilot lives there.

You have your own pilot?

Wow! Arnie, take note: thats one up on Business Class!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:
Ambassador wrote:Lucky thing there it it not land in a populated are like Oasis where a lot of pilots live. Our pilot lives there.

You have your own pilot?

Knight

Doesn't everyone? 8) :oops:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Only in Dubai!!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Chocoholic wrote:The local media are terrible, vague and inconsistant reports. Two dead? Only two crew for a 747? Don't they normally have at least 3 on the flight deck?

Ok, so as I said before the local media are appalling in their reporting. Having spoken to people 'in the know' here's what actually happened.

The plane took off from Dubai en route to Cologne. Between Doha and Bahrain a fire alarm goes off and smoke is detected in the cockpit. Instead of choosing to make an emergency landing at the nearest airport, the Captain decides to turn around and come back to Dubai - bad decision as it turns out!

By the time they are on approach to Dubai, the cockpit is so full of smoke, that they flight crew cannot read their instruments and are relying on ATC (air traffic control) to give them altitude and speed information. The aircraft overshoots the runway in Dubai and carries on towards Silicon Oasis. The pilot literally flies the plane into the ground, missing populated areas by mere metres. The place crashes just outside the military base between Emirates Road and the Al Ain highway.

So the upshot is, bad decision by the pilot and more people weren't killed due to sheer luck.

??? And thats what exactly the media reported ? Intial reports are always sketchy.
Oh BTW not saying the media is any good though :D
desertdudeshj

god bless them all!!
thelast
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dubai Knight wrote:

You have your own pilot?

Knight

It is mate i am gutted and speechless.

:idea: :arrow: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I bet he ain't got a DB9 though
8)
arniegang

Re: Plane Crash On Emirates Road Sep 05, 2010
BlueOrb wrote:All the reports say that this happened after a "take off" from Dubai. Nothing is mentioned about an aborted emergency landing. Not even from UPS. Who did you speak to that is "in the know"?

It seems a little unlikely that a plane on fire between Doha and Bahrain would seek to return to Dubai (an hour's flight time?), when they could have landed somewhere nearer (i.e Doha or Bahrain).

And in all likelihood, it was the skill of the pilots wrestling with a plane that's on fire that prevented further loss of life, rather than luck......

So then if you read all the info that I gave, then all the reports now say the same thing. Er seeing as my Dad has worked in the airline industry all his life, he got the info as soon as it happened. Browse the pilots forums, all the info is on there, I know ATC's so they had info.

As I said, initial reports from the local media were appalling. The fire broke out 40 mins into the flight in Bahrain's airspace - therefore the pilot should have diverted there or to Doha - questions will be asked why he didn't.

-- Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:13 am --

desertdudeshj wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:The local media are terrible, vague and inconsistant reports. Two dead? Only two crew for a 747? Don't they normally have at least 3 on the flight deck?

??? And thats what exactly the media reported ? Intial reports are always sketchy.
Oh BTW not saying the media is any good though :D

DD, all the first reports said the plane crashed 2 minutes after takeoff, which was incorrect.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Plane crash on Emirates Road Sep 05, 2010
arniegang wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

You have your own pilot?

Knight

It is mate i am gutted and speechless.

:idea: :arrow: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I bet he ain't got a DB9 though
8)

Nah, just a Gulfstream G650 - not that big but enough leg room and it has great range - gets me to where I need to be.

Besides, it is faster than a DB9 and oceans are not a concern :P Still a nice car the DB9 but not my type.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

You have got Arnie going now!

Arnie, I think you need one of these:

Antonov AN72S, the VIP version. Tailgate so you can drive the DB9 in the back. You would need to schedule a refuel stop in Split or Cyprus, but they are nice this time of year!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

^^^but then,where he can put the "Arnie" plate??? :lol: :roll:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Plane Crash On Emirates Road Sep 05, 2010
:)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006