CRASH WATCHERS

Topic locked
CRASH WATCHERS Mar 16, 2006
I was driving along Shk Zayed Rd today and there was an accident, nothing new there!!!

It seemed to be a pedestrian on Shk Zayed that was knocked down.

Anyway, the road was blocked by the police and the ambulance and even the helicopter turned up on the scene.

As you can imagine, a huge traffic jam had started and can you believe that people were actually abandoning their cars and walking towards the accident to have a good stretch of their necks and see what was going on?!!!! :shock:

I was absolutely disgusted by this, especially the one guy who had his trusty mobile camera out, taking photos of the whole event!!!

Where else in the world do people treat others misfortune like a circus show?! In the UK most people just drive past if they see that the emergency services are there doing their job.

Answers on a postcard pls!!!! :?

SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2006
yeah well driving here is really f*&%kd...but why would someone be crossn that road?
baba90
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2006
Not all people stop to watch "other people misfortune"

Some people check if someone they know is involved, or if they can help. And yes, it does happen they help even with the police and ambulance.

I don't know about UK, and as much as i'm concerned, just going past an accident and just don't look if anything can be done from your side "espcially in the begining before police or ambulance" is really not good. someone might be dying and you can save.

But those who slow down and stop, take photos or whatever just to be there standing and watching..... That sucks big time, they block traffic to ambulance, they block traffic to police, and.... they make us late to our work...

Be Safe.

bye
yshimy

Mar 17, 2006
Yshimy, I think you got my message wrong.

You have "quoted"???? me wrongly I think?I didnt say all people stop to watch accidents and my statement mentioned, people just drive past if they see that the emergency services are doing their job.

Of course if you are the first at an accident scene you would stop and help, but as I said when there are police, ambulance and helicopter at the scene, there really isnt anything more a bystander can do is there?!

Just wanted to clear that up :wink:

Fully agree though, that we all need to be safe on the roads.

Wonder how the government expect the road workers to get to the middle of Shk Zayed Road to do all the fancy monoblocking/ interlocking thats going on?!Go Go Gadget spring legs?!!
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2006
Ive heard of guys who have videos on their mobiles of people dying on the roads from accidents.

Also, some of you have claimed that you would help the person dying at the scene of the accident. Do you know the consequences for yourself if that person died while you were trying to help them?

I dont believe there is a good samaritan act in the Gulf. But, I could be wrong. Ive had locals tell me not to intervene because I could be held accountable for the death.

Ive also lived in countries where if you just touched a dead body, you could be thrown in jail while they figure out if you had anything to do with it.
Zapata
Dubai Forums Member

Re: CRASH WATCHERS Mar 18, 2006
SheikhaS wrote:
Where else in the world do people treat others misfortune like a circus show?! In the UK most people just drive past if they see that the emergency services are there doing their job.

ever heard of the term rubbernecking? it wasn't invented in, and nor is it an exclusive quality of the emirates :roll:
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 18, 2006
Rubber necking is the worst, I hate these people, they cause more problems and other accidents just to satisfy their curiosity.

You're right about helping though, if you're not a qualified first aider, doctor or paramedic then you can get into big trouble for trying to help if the injured person then dies.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 18, 2006
I have another disgusting story about this, Once I was driving home and there was a bad accident near the trade centre roundabout. Police and ambulance were there and were working to document, help and clean the situation. Sadly the bodies of some of the people were still on the street, I saw families pull over their cars and sit on the hood watching the whole thing including a 3 year olds watching on the hood of a car while eating a sandwich, what kind of f&cked up world do we live in when people find other people’s misery entertaining. I guess that is why series like Faces of Death are extremely popular.

Btw, it wasn’t only locals that were watching, the 3 year old with his parent’s was a blond. .
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 18, 2006
fayz wrote:
Btw, it wasn’t only locals that were watching, the 3 year old with his parent’s was a blond. .

Dyed probably :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 18, 2006
sniper420 wrote:
fayz wrote:

Dyed probably :lol:

LMAO, now that was funny.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Re: CRASH WATCHERS Mar 18, 2006
terranova wrote:
SheikhaS wrote:

ever heard of the term rubbernecking? it wasn't invented in, and nor is it an exclusive quality of the emirates :roll:

If you had read my first post you would have seen I had referred to people abandoning their cars to stretch their neck and see what was happening.

Sorry if "stretching your neck" and "rubbernecking" mean two different things to you terranova. I am fully aware that this activity was not invented here and isnt an exclusive quality of the emirates, but Ive yet to see people having a picnic at the scene of an accident in the UK.

Im also not saying that it is a trait of the local people, it just seems that people from anywhere in the world begin to act strangely once they are here in Dubai. Ive seen many "European" looking women driving with their child in the front seat on their lap???.......and how many people from across the globe suddenly start using their fog lights in the rain?!!!!! :evil:
oh and the one I personally love is having to come to a halt in a traffic jam and having to put your hazard lights on?!!This is unheard of in many countries in the world, but everyone just seems to adapt to something different here.

So yeah, no attack on the locals or the country, just the people in general residing in it. :D
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: CRASH WATCHERS Mar 19, 2006
SheikhaS wrote:Anyway, the road was blocked by the police and the ambulance and even the helicopter turned up on the scene.

Sheikhas,
Ma bad, missed the helicopter part when i read the first time. ;)

Fayz wrote:sniper420 wrote:
fayz wrote:

Dyed probably

LMAO, now that was funny.

LMAO. hehehhehe but having a sandwitch...... :x
yshimy

Mar 20, 2006
i remember once my dad came from accident scene, he voluntered and help to clear the accident mess left. He had eating disorder for 2 days and descrbed one of the victim's head was smashed on pole and knocked his skull open..........damn. It was found the boy sneaked the rent car from his sister and was enjoying with his friends going 190+........ Damn waste of life:(
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 20, 2006
SheikhaS is right, it's very strange the way people behave differently here, especially on the road !!

I think it's because of a certain feeling of impunity, none gives a s*** about the others because there is basically no repression whatsoever.

It would be the same about other crimes like stealing, killing and other "joys" if those other crimes weren't punished...

we act in a "civilised" way because of consequences that's the whole point of the police. if there was no police, people would just kill each other.
And if the police is not doing their job in some crime areas, Dubai roads is what u get !!!
ilfab
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat