Dubai was founded on pearls,
Which were really loved by the girls,
Dubai then swopped them,
For more valuable "gem"
Tea from the East like Grey Earls!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 08, 2009
Speedhump wrote:RedKite, waxes lyrical...the Edward Lear of DF....bustin' !

Rudeboy...it sounds so gangsta, Jamaican/yardie wannabe?

Skanga!

Guns don't argue....

I didn’t realize I have just entered a nursery rhyme! Either that or someone has the brain age of a 1 year old. I suggest that the person saying the rhyme that also did the crime, look below and search for that dummy that you spat out and lost from your mummy!! Rude Boy, you will as you name says "always be that little bullied picked on boy! I expect your 2 foot tall with a stage name of “mini me”!
NUTTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Feb 08, 2009
The letter from self-confessed Nutta,
Is as clear as un-clarified butter,
Am I the dummy,
Searching for mummy ??
Is that what the Nutta did mutter?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 08, 2009
Nutta has no sense of humour,
That you need for this site built on rumour,
This site's full of spite,
With bits of respite,
It's as funny as a cancerous tumour!!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 08, 2009
RedKite wrote:Nutta has no sense of humour,
That you need for this site built on rumour,
This site's full of spite,
With bits of respite,
It's as funny as a cancerous tumour!!!

I love to see people getting wound up by this. It's a shame that so many people have ZERO SENSE OF HUMOUR.

Be nat wrooth, my lord, though that I pleye. Ful ofte in game a sooth [truth] I have herd seye!
[c 1390 Chaucer - Monk's Prologue l.]

Manie suith word said in bourding [jesting].
[a 1628 J. Carmichaell - Proverbs in Scots no. 1099]

Many a true word hath been spoke in jest.
[c 1665 in Roxburghe Ballads (1890) VII. 366]

‘I did a very foolish thing yesterday.’‥‘They say, many a true Word's spoken in Jest.’
[1738 Swift - Polite Conversation i. iii.]
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 08, 2009
LMAO @ all of you !!!

:blob4: :lol: :P
beachbelle
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 08, 2009
beachbelle wrote:LMAO @ all of you !!!

:blob4: :lol: :P

then our job is done...
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2009
It is not a "nursery rhyme"
To write in tight rhyme all the time!
Not all are able,
To count each syll--able!!
So their rhyme is unable to chime!!

Have you heard of all--it--erate ?
It is that which makes poetry great!!
If a line rings,
Then poetry sings,
Internal rhyme is top rate!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 09, 2009
The oldest existing Welsh poetry was composed in the Welsh speaking kingdom of Gododdin [Romans called them the Votadini ] around Din Eidin, now Edinburgh, circa AD 600. "Y Gododdin" was composed by the Welsh poet, Aneirin , in Din Eidin, in the court of the king ,Mynyddog Mwynfawr [cannot get more Welsh than that!!] who ruled from his seat in Edinburgh, long before it became part of "Scotland". The Scots were Irish Gaels who did not even arrive in Argyll , from IRELAND until the 5th century.
The Old English classic is Beowulf , from circa AD 900. It was written in Old English or Anglo Saxon....a VERY GERMANIC language, foreign to modern day English speakers. It is very unlike Chaucer, in Middle English. French was the lanuage of England's ruling class from 1066 to about 1370 , so the Middle English which emerged later had 10000 words of French added to English's German base.

Yet "Y Gododdin" is 300 years older than Beowulf and is STILL understood by Welsh speakers. It has tight rhyme; strict metre and is full of alliteration .......and it dates from AD 600
Look at these lines:-

Ceredig caradwy gynran,
Ceimiad yng nghad gofaran,
Ysgwyd eurgwydr cadlan,
Gwaewawr uswydd anghyfan,
Cleddyfal dywal diwan,
Mal gwr cadwai wyalfan,
Cyn cystudd daear,cyn affan,
O ddaffar diffynnai ei fan,
Ys deupo cynnwys yng nghyman,
Can Drindod yn undod gyfan.

EVERY single line rhymes [ C is always hard...as in concrete{ scuse the pun} F in Welsh is pronounced as V . FF is pronounced F ] with the same ending throughout the ten lines. There is also internal rhyme and alliteration throughout, plus strict metre.

It is about the battle of Catraeth [Catterick] , when the Welsh of Gododdin in Edinburgh were defeated by far greater numbers of Germanic Angles from Northumbria, who had invaded from North Germany earlier.
In English, without rhyme:-
" Ceredig, lovable chieftain,
A ferocious fighter in battle,
Gold-chased shield of the battlefield,
With spears splintered, shattered,
And a furious ,powerful sword-stroke,
Like a man, kept his position,
Before the grief of burial, before the suffering,
Purposefully, he defended his post,
May he be welcomed among the host,
With the Trinity in full unity"

That is one VERSE of "Y Gododdin". There are almost 100 verses. It was composed around AD 600, after the battle of Catraeth . This written version was from the "Book of Aneirin" written in 1400. It may have been oral poetry for the preceding 800 years, but earlier written versions are probably lost. The rhyme and alliteration enabled it to be "sung" by the bards who were always welcomed and celebrated at the courts of Welsh leaders. The first Eisteddfod , or musical and poetic competition was held in Cardigan Castle in 1176 . Eisteddfodau are still held all over Wales to this day.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 09, 2009
Thanks for this RK, very informative.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 09, 2009
Now I can see you are 100pct Welsh....well done against the Scots yesterday.

The Irish were possibly versifying before the Welsh. There is extant written Irish language poetry which has been dated from the C6th. but not of the quality of Y Gododdin. I'm reading a book at the moment about C6th. Britain and Ireland. It seems that Aneurin was forced to compose the Gododdin (Y Gododdin) in the dark as poets were thought to work best that way :lol:

Also scholars dispute the dating of Gododdin, some put it as early as C6th, others as late as C9th (you have to say that its quality, as written in your example, does point to a later dating), but this is the hardest period of British/Irish history to date as so little was actually written at the time, after the Romans got bored and left! A lot of what we believe was only recorded hundeds of years later from verbal traditions. Most of the rest is from the written impressions of traders and delegations from currently 'civilised' countries like Greece and maybe even Egypt.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2009
Speedhump,
I note you have an interest in this Early British history. Have you read "The Age of Arthur" by Dr John Morris?
Arthur was only really mentioned properly in :-
Aneirin "Y Gododdin" Britain's Oldest Heroic Poem [ A.O.H Jarman ,The Welsh Classics , Gomer Press, Llandysul.....with English translation and critique ISBN 0 86383 354 3]

Y Gododdin says....."
"Cyn ni bai ef Arthur,
Rhwng cyfnerthi yng nghlysur,
Yng nghynnor ,gwernor Gwawrddur"

"Though he was no Arthur,
Among the powerful ones in battle,
In the front rank , Gwawrddur was a palisade"

Arthur was a leading Welsh "General" or "War leader" who defended Britain against the invading Angles and Saxons or English, in the 5th century. He may have "worn the purple" of Rome. Britain was ruled by Rome for 400 years[ from now back to Elizabeth 1st...long.long time] .
The Welsh of England [what was LATER England and Wales were Roman Citizens. Therte was a "Roman peace" under conquest.
Hence when the English arrived .....AFTER THE ROMANS LEFT BRITAIN IN AD 410 , they called the BRITISH....."WEALAS". the Germanic for "Romanised foreigners" . WEALAS = WALES.
WALLOON in Belgium is the same root , as is WALACHIA in Romania.
Walnut is WALNUSS in German.......the "foreign " nut of the SOUTH. The German nut being the hazelnut.
CORNWALL from CORN WEALAS and is is "Welsh of the corn" . Corn is HORN...or peninsula.

All the "King Arthur" stuff later was pure MYTH. There was no Round Table etc. Some are of the impression he was English.....when he was Welsh and fought the English. The root of his name ..."ARTH" is Welsh for "BEAR".....the animal , that is.

Where are you from ,Speedhump? What sort of work do you do in Dubai, if you don't mind telling us, please ?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 09, 2009
Hi Redkite,

I'm interested in British History in general, so periodwise have read here and there, absolutely no specialty. I didn't read that book, I probably would have skimmed over the title as one of those books about 'Did King Arthur exist?' of which so many have been published, and are usually as irredeemable as the books investigating the Da Vinci Code, etc. :D

Yes, Arthur was a British Celt, so he would I guess have had the run of what we now call Cornwall, Wales and the western Scottish lowlands, and of course by the time of the C6th he already had passed into legend. Also by that period any idea that Britons were still in any way Roman or Romano-British I think was in their heads only, all Roman buildings has been allowed to collapse, paganism was returned (any worship of the Roman deities woud have been unrecognisable from the true versions) and the populace was living in enclosures with mud huts, the Dark Ages had begun.

Anglo-Saxons lived on the site of Londinium of course, but they didn't occupy any Roman-built edifices, as archeological digs show. Latin was still spoken by some British Celts, but I believe this would have been confined to the monasteries, with only few people outside their confines having maybe the equivalent of an eight year old English schoolboy's French....

I'm a London boy, RedKite, and I work in the oil trade. How about you?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat