Its RAINING!!!

Topic locked
Feb 21, 2006
yshimy wrote:hehe, sounds bad right, but i'm the devil's advocate

Actually, you sound more like a twat :wink:

Theres an old saying "you pay for what you get". Your perception is flawed if you want to pay pitance and expect red carpet treatment in return.

XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 21, 2006
yshimy wrote:Well i do belive in every single word you said.
I myself do this and more.

But.

Let me play the "Devil's Advocate" and ask what the guys with suites and thongs up their Ar$$ would ask:

These guys are doing Illeagal acts, Do they have license to do what they are doing?
Their original empolyer employed them full time not part time so they shouldn't do anything as part time.
How can you do a claim if the person do a fraud on you or delivered bad service? (scratch your car while cleaning)
These guys don't pay taxes on the income they get from you (not applicable to UAE)

hehe, sounds bad right, but i'm the devil's advocate

Alright Mr. puppet of the thong up the suit's a$$ hehehe (just playing, debate is good(
yes you have no recourse should anything go wrong, this is a risk and if it is a risk you are worried about by all means take it to a gas station to get it washed, they charge like AED 20 and even clean the inside (btw, while you’re there you’ll notice a little sign in the corner that says we don’t assume any liability for damage).
A person hired to work full time, is exactly that a person that is hired to work for you during the hours mutually agreed upon, what that person does in his "off" hours is for him, if working part time does not effect his performance working for you than there is no issue with this.

For taxes you are right they don't apply here so we'll leave that point aside for the time being.

My personal rebuttal would be you see all the poor ladies in their Abayas walking down the street begging for change with baby in hand, in an affluent place this should not be the case and sadly many of these babies will become criminals. On the flip side you see a guy, maybe he borrowed some money from family and friends to earn AED 600/month working on a construction site but when he got here is boss didn’t pay him for 3 months and he only wants to go home, maybe he brought his wife and new born child would you as a father (one day you and I both will be parents, inshallah) not do everything you can for that child? If you are proud and you don’t want to beg, should you not have another option? If a car washer gets pricked does he not bleed ????
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 21, 2006
These people would evently turn into Crime and thats why you can see increase in pitty crimes in dubai.

Also after years and years of time, people will find it easier to work in such "non official" jobs and don't go to work as they will make more money cleaning cars or begging than actual working. "beggers in Egypt do more than paid engineers, Also parking attendents (non official) do"
This model will propagate and you will find them going out from the parking lots and from cleaning cars, into parking attendents and dominate the streets. I know facts where (not in dubai) it turned into big gangs control the streets and you have to pay if you parked "as a tip" or you go out with a ding, scratch or a crack in your windshield.

About being committed to certain hours and after it is your time to do whatever..... WRONG, you are not allowed to have another income beside your full time job from another job. As (presumably) it will affect your preformance in your full time job.

Taking off the dress of the devil advocate, dress like a human rights activist

Come on.. These guys are harming noone, struggling to make their life better.
They give you a good qulaity job for much less money.
They don't force anyone to pay them, so no harm is done.
Is this better or they go and steal and rob people or join gangs???
Have mercy on people.
As Fayz Said, if i have a child and i have to support, i would do anything to get him the basic needs, i would steal if i need a medicine for him.

Cheers

Note: hope people understand the logic of playing two opposite roles for the sake of discussion.

;)
yshimy

Feb 21, 2006
Anyway??? Tipping is given by the customer to the employee and it is done not because you are obliged to do so but because you appreciate that particular person's service or attitude or both. The tip is something they have earned above their wages-they shouldn't be penalised and strip searched-pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! :roll: Geez I tip supermarket packers! I'd hate to think they would be somehow penalised for a small gesture.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 21, 2006
Why on earth would you need to wash the car 4 times a week, that's insane! Once a week is enough for me, there's no point in anything more. Plus I bet these little car cleaners use washing up liquid which trashes the paint work - er no thanks!

The rain was great, everything smells fresh and nice, it's meant to rain over the weekend - yipeeeee!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 21, 2006
seriously ? and we were planning a camping weekend .. i think we might have to postpone that then ..

i like driving in the rain .. its the only thing i like about rain ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 21, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Why on earth would you need to wash the car 4 times a week, that's insane! Once a week is enough for me, there's no point in anything more. Plus I bet these little car cleaners use washing up liquid which trashes the paint work - er no thanks!

The rain was great, everything smells fresh and nice, it's meant to rain over the weekend - yipeeeee!

You are just jealous that my car is always shiny as new with a new coat of wax all the time :)

Also, I buy him the cleaning soaps, waxes, clothes, etc.... So I only get quality...

Why do you call them "little car cleaners"? That sounds mighty derogatory and racist....

Weekend rain? Screw that... I need sun sun sun for the beach....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 21, 2006
No not really Liban, stop reading things into things that aren't there, honestly any excuse to have a go, give it a rest it's getting boring now!

They normally are 'short' guys. And I always ask them to give me car a scrub when I go to the mall, they do a damn good job at it!

Get off yer high horse.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 21, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:No not really Liban, stop reading things into things that aren't there.

They normally are 'short' guys.

Get off yer high horse.

Depends what your definition of short is. Mine is not short. He is lanky.

I am on a high horse??? Woman, you ain't one to talk....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 21, 2006
Yeah well, nows who's being judgemental.

Most of them are short compared to me, excuse me for being tallish! I'm skinny too so does that make me anorexic?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 21, 2006
I dont know why this car wash thing is an issue. The petrol station on Al Soufah rd ( by JBH) that has the car valet is so cheap. A full car wash, inside vaccum carpets, leather wipe windows inside and out, then a leather over the whole bodywork, tyre shine, and dashboard shine is 20 Dhs. Its basically a full valet.

Right my other winge today is will you lot SHUT UP about RAIN please.
Its been pissing it down here for 3 days non stop!!

:lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 21, 2006
It's not an issue. Yeah the 20Dhs deals are great.

I love the rain. More rain, more rain.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 21, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:It's not an issue. Yeah the 20Dhs deals are great.

I love the rain. More rain, more rain.

Please shup about rain Choc

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Feb 21, 2006
Oh Arnie, I forget you're in the UK - wet, dark, grey, damp most of the time - hehehehe. Trust me when you've been here a few years, it's fantastic to actually have 'weather'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 21, 2006
ah i wondered when someone would get it. Jeez its crap here at moment with rain and bleeding cold last night 2c today 5c.

This is why the likes of Moi luvreeee Dubai, sooooooo

NO MORE TALK OF RAIN PLZ :wink:

:D
arniegang

Feb 21, 2006
Yea the rains were good , and its the first time i seen it rain after i have come to dubai:). but the thing is even with such a little shower the traffic was thrown outta gear:), i dont understand what would happen if it rains cats and dogs here. not complaining but then took me 2 and half hours to reach my work place on a drive of just ove 10 kms :shock: .

but it felt good, it smelt good, let it rain moreeeeeeee.:D.

Cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 21, 2006
Jeevan,

Because the majority of people on the roads don't know how to cope with rain. Last year it rained buckets and hail and thunder and lightening, there are no drains so the raods get water logged very quickly and people don't slow down or keep distances and still drive like loonies. They don't get that the big squishy tyres on these 4x4's will just aquaplane if you hit the breaks.

It's a nightmare.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 21, 2006
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
arniegang

Feb 21, 2006
Yea choco,

thats the reason why there were accidents all around, i guess people here need to be trained on driving in the rains.:). I guess everyone tends to press the panic button when something outta the way happens.All the rules take a backseat, everyone wants to rush ahead , push through, that creates more jams. But still i would say its better than driving in India where rules dont even exist, or rather people dont think they exist:D.

Another problem is there are just two bridges and shindagha tunnel connecting deira and bur dubai region so obviously there are traffic jams at these junctures even on normal days, so what can one say when it rains :). Hope they come up with more bridges taking into consideration the multiplication in the number of cars.

Cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 21, 2006
If all the gulf spec cars had "abs" then stopping or aqua-planeing should not be an issue. Although Gulf spec cars are much cheaper than in say the UK, the standard of basic level of safety equipment is much lower than ours. It is now almost impossible to buy a car in the UK without ABS/Traction and a mimimum of 2 airbags and pretensioning seat belts.

All these safety features were important to me when i bought my Jeep last year.
arniegang

Feb 21, 2006
yea no ABS that spells trouble, i guess it should be made a norm for al the car manufacturers. Air bags are a prime necessity, i dont wanna have my brains splattered on the dashboard. but i guess its an optio provided when you buy cars, i mean specific models shud have the full options.

cheers,

jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 21, 2006
I have a BMW 750 here in UK. I have lost count of the number of airbags but i think its 18 :shock:

It also has self rectracting steering column, ABS, Traction, Dynamic Stability control DSC and so on.
arniegang

Feb 21, 2006
:shock: :shock: :shock: , thats amazing god forbid but if u meet with an accident people have to search u between airbags:D. even volvos good on saftey standards i think?. i am soon to get a car, but dunno which one my company would give me:). and the worst part is i dont have a option of choosing. but well i do need a car here, so might as well take it to start off and then buy the one i want later down the line.

Cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 21, 2006
J

Just make sure there is some basic safety features with your new car mate
arniegang

Feb 21, 2006
Righto arnie,
Thats the first thing i am gonna check, what options are available with the car on offer, or i would shell in some money from my pocket over what the company is willing to pay and get the top end version:), thats if they agree to it.

hoping for the best,

cheers,

jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 21, 2006
Cool

you got it sussed mate

:wink:
arniegang

Feb 21, 2006
I'm with arnie on this one - it was not only raining in London, it was actually sleeting earlier today! It's very cold outside and everyone is commenting on how sunny it will be Dubai next week!

Then I get to the office and read all these posts about the rain! :)

In terms of safety, I've looked into buying an new Volvo XC90 as it has really excellent reviews. Then, following the advice of this forum, I warmed to the idea of buying 2 landcruisers (one for the wife as well), but second hand... now I'm not so sure again, Top Gear had another really great review of the XC90 recently...

Will decide when we get there..

That said, I'm enjoying the discussion about the rain and the cost of washing cars (just an outside car wash costs double the full valet of Dhs20 here!! - the cheapest full valet in London I've found is about £40 or over Dhs 250!!)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 21, 2006
Shaf

In my opinion the bigger and beefier the better esp more so with young ones mate. Landcruiser, patrol or big yank tank is my advise.
arniegang

Feb 21, 2006
Arnie - I agree, the only thing is that the XC90 comes out top for safety, but I think we will go for recentish landcruisers as they appear to be better value and better resale values.

It's now dark and raining... brrgh..

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 21, 2006
I can think of two people who should shut up, cause theres nothing to say you two can't just ignore this topic if the rest of us love the rain :)

And when you have oil baked roads, lots of water and countless Shumacher wannabes ABS is as useful as cardboard brakes.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat