Interesting Flight...

Topic locked
Interesting Flight... Feb 28, 2011
I think I mentioned before that I was scheduled to go do some “good” somewhere on the other side of a couple of ponds and had delayed my trip until the last minute in the hope of avoiding commercial flights – but no such luck.

Anyway, on 11 February at the ungodly hour of 2 am I was scheduled to fly to New York (a stop over !). The flight was delayed and I stroke up a conversation with some people - first at the lounge and then on the cabin.

That date was the day Mubarak was “overthrown” (Friday 11 Feb) and I had heard a lot of discussion on this part of the world about how the CIA is involved in all things middle east and in supporting dictators etc. etc. etc. and it was curios how social media (Facebook and forums) had played a role (the social media started our conversations ) . I thought it was a “small world” as the passengers in my flight/lounge conversation included.

1. George Tenet (former CIA director)
2. Concord (former DF member)
3. George D (Dubai World General Counsel on his way to Miami to fight Herve).

I thought it was interesting that these people were leaving Dubai at the same time (small world) - some “connection” to DF and topics.

p.s. I heard no “secrets”. It would have been even stranger if Concord’s name is also George (although he gave a name which can also be an initial).

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Interesting Flight... Feb 28, 2011
WOW! Small world indeed!

You should've asked Mr.George to join DF and participates in Herve's debates here! :wink:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Was George D flying first class??? Staying at a luxurious 5 star resort/hotel??? Wearing a big Rolex??? Work at Dubai World??? Did he mention if his family is being held as ransom in Dubai???

I'm sure you didn't let on to your involvement on DF!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Was George D flying first class??? Staying at a luxurious 5 star resort/hotel??? Wearing a big Rolex??? Work at Dubai World??? Did he mention if his family is being held as ransom in Dubai???

I'm sure you didn't let on to your involvement on DF!!!!

No to all (except he might be staying at a luxurious 5 star resort/hotel but I doubt it as they are probably doubling up nowadays - did not ask).
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Welcome back Ambassador, you have been missed! I hope you have noted some small changes on the forum :D

Anyways, I hope you didn't wish that George person luck!

How did you know who Concord was?
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

really interesting flight, I wish I will fly with such a company one day...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:Welcome back Ambassador, you have been missed! I hope you have noted some small changes on the forum :D

Anyways, I hope you didn't wish that George person luck!

How did you know who Concord was?

Thanks for the welcome.

I did not notice any changes.

Anyway, as we were talking about "forums" etc., specically amongst expats, I mentioned that there were a few forums in Dubai such as DF and Concord mentioned that he used to be a member. He said "I used to post on that forum" and I mentioned I did and he volunteered that his username was "Concord". He thought there were some helpful posters and some funny moments. I mentioned some of the usernames and he recognized a few. In any event, that was a minor aspect of the conversation (but interesting tidbit I thought).
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Well it was rude of me not to welcome you back Ambassador, so: Welcome back!!!

Nice to hear that Concord had nice things to say considering what he went through. It appears that what was once a nice tight group going back, there was a big fallout. From what I observed in readings, it got really really ugly.

Anyway, moving on to changes. When you access General you will find a post at the very top from Andyba, who owns DF. We are functioning without any mods for the time being, until Andyba sorts out a new system for moderating. FC will give you a better picture of what transpired in your absence and what lead up to Andyba stepping in. Actually we are functioning on the "honor system" and the irony is, there has been quite a turn around. Seems things are moving up to being on a positive note!!!! Go figure.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Well it was rude of me not to welcome you back Ambassador, so: Welcome back!!!

Nice to hear that Concord had nice things to say considering what he went through. It appears that what was once a nice tight group going back, there was a big fallout. From what I observed in readings, it got really really ugly.

Anyway, moving on to changes. When you access General you will find a post at the very top from Andyba, who owns DF. We are functioning without any mods for the time being, until Andyba sorts out a new system for moderating. FC will give you a better picture of what transpired in your absence and what lead up to Andyba stepping in. Actually we are functioning on the "honor system" and the irony is, there has been quite a turn around. Seems things are moving up to being on a positive note!!!! Go figure.

Thanks for the update.

It seems that there was more "censorship' than moderating along with "ganging" up based on relationships/friendships outside the forums (which lead to "protectionism") so lack of moderating will not have much of an effect (except to those who took the "mod" thing too much as a "power trip').
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat