Last Space Shuttle Flight

Topic locked
Last Space Shuttle Flight Jul 09, 2011
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story ... uttle.html

The end of the era of the Space Shuttle! I always thought the shuttle would go out with the introduction of something newer and better, instead NASA just announces the end of the shuttle. It will be interesting to see what the new space vehicles will look like, but will they come from NASA? With the US busy funding military actions and managing their massive debt - don't know how much they want to invest in any new space programs...

-- Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:06 pm --

Found this neat link too where you can track the position of the space shuttle, International Space Station and Hubble Space Telescope - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13877321 Updated hourly.

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Last Space Shuttle Flight Jul 10, 2011
I think it's tragic, it really makes me feel sad that these amazing vehicles are going to end up in museums or with private collectors.

No K, they're not replacing them. All future manned missions will use the Russian Soyuz rockets to get where they need to go.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

All along the Soyuz rockets have been more reliable, even if not as grand as the shuttle. It is still sad to see the shuttles go.

Since I was a little girl I loved learning about space, planets, stars etc., and I still love sci-fi novels and movies. I've always imagined the shuttles being replaced with something revolutionary. Sometimes simple is better I guess, especially if only needing to send a small number of people infrequently into space.

Some private companies are developing space vehicles to send (wealthy) average citizens briefly into space - saw a documentary on Branson's Virgin Galactic and it was pretty amazing. http://www.virgingalactic.com/
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Its better to retire them now before they all fall to pieces, they are way past their sell by date, there have already been two tragedies in the past. I'm sure if they had the money they would replace them, but seeing a budget of 600 billion plus passed for the military there is hardly any money left for such endeavours anymore.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Three replies here too! Wow! Well two if you discount K's reply to Chocs.
Bethsmum

Exactly DDS.

If you were a millionaire and had $200,000 to throw around, would you book a ticket on Virgin Galactic? It looks pretty cool :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Bethsmum wrote:Three replies here too! Wow! Well two if you discount K's reply to Chocs.

This makes a dull Sunday cheery :D
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

kanelli wrote:Exactly DDS.

If you were a millionaire and had $200,000 to throw around, would you book a ticket on Virgin Galactic? It looks pretty cool :)

If you were a millionaire THAT had $200,000 to throw around, would you book a ticket on Virgin Galactic? It looks pretty cool :

I have been away for further training the last few months where its obvious that standards have once more slipped.

Lets try harder please.
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

200k doesn't sound much for a once in a lifetime ride, specially if your sitting on top of a hefty mound. People paid ridiculous amounts of money to fly on the Concorde, and as it gets more common the prices will obvious drop, making it even more attractive.

I'd do it. Hell, I always wanted a ride in the Vomit Comet as it is.

-- Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm --

spellcheckergirl wrote:
kanelli wrote:Exactly DDS.

If you were a millionaire THAT had $200,000 to throw around, would you book a ticket on Virgin Galactic? It looks pretty cool :

I have been away for further training the last few months where its obvious that standards have once more slipped.

Lets try harder please.

How about you piss off, please !

Amazing how c0ck and spg always make an appearance on the forum in sync.
desertdudeshj

That's no way to address Kanelli DDS?

Is it coincidence that you show up the same time as SPG?
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

There have been plenty of space tourists already.

Yes I agree the shuttles are past it. However, they had capabilities which the rockets just don't come upto, such as their huge cargo space and the robotic cargo bay arm for carrying out repairs.

I mean Hubble wouldn't have come to fruition without the shuttles.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

spellcheckergirl wrote:That's no way to address Kanelli DDS?

Is it coincidence that you show up the same time as SPG?

:lol: :lol:

-- Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:32 pm --

How about you piss off, please !

Amazing how c0ck and spg always make an appearance on the forum in sync.

Gosh, you've got a way with words munchkin! A bit of a smooth talker, aren't you :D
Bethsmum

Chocoholic wrote:There have been plenty of space tourists already.

Yes I agree the shuttles are past it. However, they had capabilities which the rockets just don't come upto, such as their huge cargo space and the robotic cargo bay arm for carrying out repairs.

True, but they have two wars to fund.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:There have been plenty of space tourists already.

True, but they have two wars to fund.

Not to mention borrowing money to fund other countries. I guess it's safe to say that South Sudan will be added to the list. More cuts to American programs I guess.

I would love to know exactly what has been learned in the past few years keeping the shuttle active and if it justifies the cost.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Thats a good question actually. I know it did some fantastic stuff like delivering payloads like the hubble but what about other stuff. Also disasters like the Challenger, when looked at in hindsight it was really not safe to fly but the gung ho to get another shuttle off the pad got in the way.

P.S : There was a real cool video on youtube, a bit lenghty but explains in detail evey step of the launch in great detail eg: What are all those sparks we see just before the boosters ignite prior to launch. Very intersting stuff and a good watch. Lemme see if I can find it.
desertdudeshj

Re: Last Space Shuttle Flight Jul 11, 2011
Well now the US has pulled military funding to Pakistan, maybe they will have the odd $6 billion in the kitty to build a new re-usable space vehicle?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

No more shuttle means no more Canadarm http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/canadarm/default.asp , of course. The last shuttle cost 1.7 billion, so we can only imagine what kind of vehicle they could create with 6 billion! Not going to happen... I suppose it is a waste of money to work on manned flight deeper into space, or even colonization possibilities, since we're likely to destroy our own planet before making use of any of that.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dubai Knight wrote:Well now the US has pulled military funding to Pakistan, maybe they will have the odd $6 billion in the kitty to build a new re-usable space vehicle?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

As of yesterday they were pulling a fraction of the funding, not all - haven't seen or read anything as of now. Would be nice to see the US pull all of it and stop funding Al Queda. Besides, like I said, South Sudan is going to need money so possibly it will just be a shift from Pakistan to SS. I truly wonder who is going to send money to the US when it hits a poverty level for it to be officially declared a third world country?? :o
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

The US reduced their funding by 800m from 2bn to 1.2bn
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

I just sent Obama 1 dirham.

He may need it when times get tough.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Last Space Shuttle Flight Jul 12, 2011
Dubai Knight wrote:I just sent Obama 1 dirham.

He may need it when times get tough.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

I'm sure he will qualify for welfare, but he better hurry because with all the unemployment benefits running out for millions of people, there is going to be a mad rush of people signing up for government benefits and housing as well. The number of homeless is going to sky rocket!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat