A 13year Old Kid In Uk Becomes A Dad

Topic locked
Feb 22, 2009
Flying Dutchman wrote:
bonk wrote:Clogs act as a natural contraceptive device. Would you jump someone wearing wooden shoes?

If worn by a woman, yes, that would be a major turn on for me. We could do the clog dance together. :lol:

LOL. Just noticed your post. I can hear your lovemaking from here, it sounds like a woodpecker building a nest !!!!

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 23, 2009
speedhump, you make excellent points.

I don't think parents need university education to be able to teach kids from birth onwards how to evaluate what is right from what is wrong, how to think logically, and how to be aware of consequences to actions. Too many parents are busy working, doing leisure activities, or have given in to vices/addictions to pay any attention to what their children are doing. The kids hang out in packs and fall prey to peer pressure. Parents don't want to believe what their kids get up to, so blame teachers and others saying "You've got it all wrong, my kid is not a problem!" There is a sense of guilt making some defensive about their own bad parenting. If you don't set limits and have your kids' respect from an early age, how do you expect them to obey when they are teens? Leave teens with too much freedom and no supervision, and don't be surprised if you end up a grandma or grandpa too early!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 23, 2009
kanelli wrote:speedhump, you make excellent points.

I don't think parents need university education to be able to teach kids from birth onwards how to evaluate what is right from what is wrong, how to think logically, and how to be aware of consequences to actions. Too many parents are busy working, doing leisure activities, or have given in to vices/addictions to pay any attention to what their children are doing. The kids hang out in packs and fall prey to peer pressure. Parents don't want to believe what their kids get up to, so blame teachers and others saying "You've got it all wrong, my kid is not a problem!" There is a sense of guilt making some defensive about their own bad parenting. If you don't set limits and have your kids' respect from an early age, how do you expect them to obey when they are teens? Leave teens with too much freedom and no supervision, and don't be surprised if you end up a grandma or grandpa too early!

I didn't know you had this kind of sensible reasoning Kanelli. :lol:

:wink:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 23, 2009
kanelli I am fully with you, you put it clearly, better than my ramblings. I think another thread on these forums last week mentioned the kid in the UAE who had his mouth taped up for ignoring several warnings to stop disrupting the class. While I don't agree with the teachers' methods I noted the lack of any apology from the parents to the teacher being mentioned concerning the child's behaviour, they just decide to take the kid and put him in another school. The clear point being 'my kid isn't the problem, it's your school' as you say above.

When I was at school kids were hit with wooden blackboard dusters on their behinds by a couple of the teachers, also moderately caned very occasionally by the headmaster, once one was even hung by his braces (yes he was always dressed strangely) from a doorhook for most of one lesson for being so disruptive. It didn't actually harm any of us physically or mentally so far as I know, and our parents were happy for us to be disciplined if we were misbehaving, as I have been with my kids.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 23, 2009
Well, in the UAE there are many children who are pretty much raised by helpers/maids/nannies - so the parents don't apologize for "bad" behaviour because they don't really know their kids well. They think their kids are perfect :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 23, 2009
Both nationals and expats in Singapore are the same, believe me.. ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 23, 2009
Not all expats. It isn't in the culture for some to rely on helpers as substitute parents - they merely help lighten the load and focus on domestic tasks like cooking and cleaning.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 23, 2009
yep that's right, I was only meaning it's wrong to generalise about one specific country...also I have seen caucasian women in the UAE being followed around the supermarket by toddler toting nannies who were pushing the shopping trolley too!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 23, 2009
I said that many kids in the UAE are being raised by helpers/maids/nannies. I did not say Emirati children exclusively. Some countries in the world have a culture of hired domestic help that even expats take up when living there because they can afford it. I meant to include those people as well.

Actually, I notice a difference between children raised with helpers/maids/nannies in Singapore. Many local parents don't let the helpers discipline the kids, and the kids can be rotten to the helpers, but the stricter family culture and emphasis on respect mean they aren't as rude to adults and teachers - unlike what I found in the UAE.

p.s. And let's not even get into the subject of how helpers/maids/nannies are treated by locals vs. expats from certain parts of the world.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 23, 2009
kanelli wrote:I said that many kids in the UAE are being raised by helpers/maids/nannies. I did not say Emirati children exclusively. Some countries in the world have a culture of hired domestic help that even expats take up when living there because they can afford it. I meant to include those people as well.

Not all expats, not all Emiratis. Neither of us said that.

Actually, I notice a difference between children raised with helpers/maids/nannies in Singapore. Many local parents don't let the helpers discipline the kids, and the kids can be rotten to the helpers, but the stricter family culture and emphasis on respect mean they aren't as rude to adults and teachers - unlike what I found in the UAE.

What I mean is the younger kids can be totally out of control in public places and the parents will not lift a finger because they are too indulgent to the kids. I think that also is what you are saying. My Singaporean friend's son, now in his twenties was a tearaway in his teens and in trouble with the law, but still respected his parents.

p.s. And let's not even get into the subject of how helpers/maids/nannies are treated by locals vs. expats from certain parts of the world.

A whole different box of worms!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 25, 2009
Sorry to hear about your friend's kid. I hope he's staying out of trouble now! My Singaporean friends all have younger children, and so far they are pretty tightly controlled by the parents or grandparents. Most have after school tuition for many school subjects, and don't really have a lot of self-guided free time to get up to much bad business.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 25, 2009
kanelli wrote:I said that many kids in the UAE are being raised by helpers/maids/nannies. I did not say Emirati children exclusively. Some countries in the world have a culture of hired domestic help that even expats take up when living there because they can afford it. I meant to include those people as well.

well that's going to be an interesting thing to discuss and to post youtube videos of your maids beating your children with cooking wares and strangling them with pillows bcz you are treating them nicely .

but again it is just you kanelli, you just have to turn any subject and compare it to us ,UAE or Islam ! what's new. unlike you everyone else is sticking to the subject :!:
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 25, 2009
So the word "locals" only belongs to those in the UAE? You don't suppose Singaporeans are "locals" compared to the "expats"? :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 25, 2009
Mostly when I'm talking about 'locals' I mean the emirati people. This is not completely correct I believe.
Locals are also the expats and housemaids that reside in Dubai for lets say, a minimum of a year with no intention to leave. That would be a more complete definition of 'the local'.

Locals are more than just the Arab community. The word 'location' underpins the 'local'.

Simply said: You guys are all the same bunch of sweaty guys :D : D :D
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat