Nokia

Topic locked
Nokia May 26, 2006
I dont know whats up with Nokia phones, cus I've had the worst luck with them. I used to have the Nokia 6080, where the battery cover become loose after 3 months of usage.

I got the 9300i 2 weeks ago where the incoming calls could not be answered. The retailer said it has a software issue.

I have had prolly 4 or 5 nokia phones in the past and I've always had problems with them. The only thing that keep me going with nokia was its UI which is easy to use, but I dont think its worth it anymore.

A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 26, 2006
I know a couple people with 9300i's apparently they were release here with a huge bug but if you go to upgrade the software (which should be for free as the phone is only 2 weeks old) hopefully that resolves the problem.

I'm toying with getting an E61 but I also have been hearing some rough things about Nokia over the last little bit and I'm afraid to get a new model from them, I may have to wait a few months and let other people identify the bugs.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 28, 2006
Well, complex software on a phone is much like the complex software on your computer e.g. Windows. It has bugs that need to be worked out. Go for the software upgrade and see if it helps. Loose parts on the phone is bad news - you need to report that for sure. I've only had problems with one cheap model of Nokia phone - all the other Nokia models I have used have had sturdy cases.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 28, 2006
I thought you might reply to this one K

:wink: :wink:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 28, 2006
kanelli wrote:Well, complex software on a phone is much like the complex software on your computer e.g. Windows. It has bugs that need to be worked out. Go for the software upgrade and see if it helps. Loose parts on the phone is bad news - you need to report that for sure. I've only had problems with one cheap model of Nokia phone - all the other Nokia models I have used have had sturdy cases.

Agreed. I'm just not happy with Nokia anymore. I feel their products arent as good as what they used to be.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 01, 2006
Guys, I work in the mobile industry at a fairly senior level and can tell you that the Nokia phones are by far the best on the market - the problem is simple - the shops that sell the phones do not know who to set them up or explain to the customer what to do.

I have recently moved from a 9300i that I loved to a new E61 and have everything set up including my pop3 emails (5 accounts) web browsing - push email and even a navigation system.
ajmohamed
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 25, 2006
ajmohamed wrote:Guys, I work in the mobile industry at a fairly senior level and can tell you that the Nokia phones are by far the best on the market - the problem is simple - the shops that sell the phones do not know who to set them up or explain to the customer what to do.

Or perhaps, in recent years the quality has slipped and the designs have gone bad? I used to be a long term Nokia advocate, but I have to say the Motorola V3 is the best phone I've had, far ahead of any Nokia I've owned, and I've owned a lot. My last Nokia was a fizzer and I'm glad its gone.

As someone who works in a fairly senior level, you should appreciate that products should be easy to setup and use, and don't require an intensive setup and training exercise by the people at the shop.
^ian^

Jun 26, 2006
No offence to K ( :wink: ) but boo-hiss to Nokia. I used to give them the benefit of dount over the years and time and time again but a few years ago I just cut my ties after being sick of taking my phone/s to the service center. Good ridance!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 26, 2006
ya that common bug where u dont get calls sure is annoying, but a simple software upgrade patches it up.
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 27, 2006
my phone keeps calling other ppl by its self ..the phone went mad i guess but now i think nokia sucks man ..u have the bug problem and the software etc ..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 27, 2006
naruto wrote:my phone keeps calling other ppl by its self ..the phone went mad i guess but now i think nokia sucks man ..u have the bug problem and the software etc ..

Dude, I've had this exact same problem with my nokia. This started happening a few weeks ago. I keep getting calls from people saying I called them, when I didnt. I checked the dialed numbers list and I figured the phone is dialing ramdom numbers by itself. I'm really getting tired of this gay nokia phone.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 27, 2006
It's not just the Nokias that go mental. Samsung phones can be a bit strange, I've had 2 now that just randomly turn themselves off then on again, delete entries from the phone book, mix names and numbers up so you call a different number than the one linked to the person you actually want to call - it's so weird.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 04, 2006
Sorry guys but I think you are missing the point when it comes to Mobiles.

Firstly - Nokia have an 85% market share in the Middle East (up 10% from last year) and the trend continues to grow.

Nokia is the worlds leading mobile handset and software manufacturer and those of you who love the Motorola should be made aware that is uses software developed by and used by Nokia!

The problem is simple:

When you go to buy a mobile phone you ask everything including;

type and size of camera
is it MP3
is it a radio
can I take video
does it have bluetooth and wifi
etc etc etc

HOW MANY ASK IF IT CAN MAKE A PHONE CALL!

The market demands have forced Nokia and all other mobile phone companies to produce phones that have more gizzmos than functional services - hence they f$*k p all the time.
ajmohamed
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 04, 2006
ajmohamed wrote:Sorry guys but I think you are missing the point when it comes to Mobiles.

Firstly - Nokia have an 85% market share in the Middle East (up 10% from last year) and the trend continues to grow.

Nokia is the worlds leading mobile handset and software manufacturer and those of you who love the Motorola should be made aware that is uses software developed by and used by Nokia!

I think you're missing the point. When I buy a phone I look for:

* Ease of use
* Build Quality
* Convenience
* Style
* SMS functionality

In that order. A phone does more these days than just make phone calls.

Apart from the SMS which I will openly admit Nokia has the best, their quality has gone up the clacker and their software is getting more complicated. Now Quality is a MAJOR factor - simply I want a tough phone that won't break through normal use.

I don't love Motorola, but I do love my Razr V3 for the above reasons. If I find a better phone when it comes time to change, I will have no problem switching brands.

Edit: and as for fscking up all the time, this is unacceptable for a retail product period. If they can't integrate the features they shouldn't offer them.
^ian^

Jul 05, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
ajmohamed wrote:Sorry guys but I think you are missing the point when it comes to Mobiles.

I think you're missing the point. When I buy a phone I look for:

* Ease of use
* Build Quality
* Convenience
* Style
* SMS functionality

I think #1 on the list is reception. I had a Nokia that would black out every time I went into a tunnel or faced south. When I am talking, I don't want to hear the ocean
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 07, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:It's not just the Nokias that go mental. Samsung phones can be a bit strange, I've had 2 now that just randomly turn themselves off then on again, delete entries from the phone book, mix names and numbers up so you call a different number than the one linked to the person you actually want to call - it's so weird.

Hahaha....My samsung phone whenever you type *121# it will restart! :lol:

Oops...I hate Nokia fone by the way... :evil:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 13, 2006

Firstly - Nokia have an 85% market share in the Middle East (up 10% from last year) and the trend continues to grow.....

HOW MANY ASK IF IT CAN MAKE A PHONE CALL!

The market demands have forced Nokia and all other mobile phone companies to produce phones that have more gizzmos than functional services - hence they f$*k p all the time.

First off people expect the being able to use a mobile as a phone to just be standard, maybe that is why no one asks. Nokia use to be awesome, I swore by them but like others have said as phones have become more and more complex Nokia's QA team doesn't seem to be keeping with pace as well as other brands. I've now bought two Nokia Bluetooth devices and both have crapped out in the last 2 months, and they were newer higher end models. :shock:

Also Nokia's rep for customer service has gone way down hill while others like Imate seeming to be stepping up. Nokia still has the best user interface on the market but this only holds so much weight and they are losing out to hungrier competitors.

The opinions above are mine and do not necessarily reflect this forum or its moderators. It is also not meant to aggravate senior forum contributors. It is safe to say the above statement can be valued as Fayz’s two fils ;)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nokia or Not? Sep 09, 2006
Hi,

I also work in the mobile industry at a senior level (for almost 20 years).

Unlike the other poster I work on the devices side, having been head of devices for Orange group in the Nordic area and Belux. I also worked for Nokia, Siemens, Ericsson and others.

I also sat on the GSM Assoc Terminal Working Group and the Global Cert' Forum.

Nokia devices generaly are no worse than some others, they do (particularly Series 60 & 90) have real issues with firmware. What I have seen in the past has been too early release of units with poor firmware and some quite blatent bugs that would make units almost useless.

Early hardware with multi fault vectors, that in one unit's case gave a 109% return rate in one year!

Nokia know this and continue to ship product that is at best bug ridden at worst useless, it's business.

Other vendors have issues too, but most ship better firmware on early run devices...

My advice, wait for a 3 month period after release of a device, then check on the many open Forums for info about user experence. If you do buy get the latest firmware flashed on the device and use the online facility update it monthly for the first few months until it settles down.

If you just want a phone for calling or SMS stay away from the Smart phones they are more complex and offer little advantage.

If you wish for mobile email, use a blackberry, I have tested all the options and its by far the best.

Regards

Neil
NeilDu
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list