End Of Service Benefits / Gratuity?

Topic locked
End of service benefits / gratuity? Apr 22, 2012
Hello,

If you please, I have a question about the end of service benefits that I am entitled to. I am a Western expat working for a large multinational company .

My employer recently gave me a 30 days notice of termination from my unlimited contract (non-free zone company). The ostensible reason for the termination was that approximately 4 months ago I told my company (in writing) that I was considering pursuing a Master's degree in my home country. If I was accepted to the Master's program, which I estimated carried less than a 50% chance, then I would leave the company around September 2012. If I was not accepted, than I said I would like to stay on. I still do not know if I was accepted or not.

When then notified me of the termination, they said they had already hired a replacement that would begin working in the same capacity next week. They also said that they were very happy with my work, so there were no work performance issues.

Can you please clarify what end of service benefits I am entitled to? Is this a just cause for termination? How does my notice of potentially joining a Master's program help or hurt my case?

Thanks and regards.

niner4nine
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai