Canadian Female In New Zealand Seeks Dubai Job

Topic locked
Canadian female in New Zealand seeks Dubai job May 14, 2006
Hi there :)

I have been working in New Zealand in Alcohol & Drug Services for almost 3 years. I have a psychology and social work background. My engineer partner and I are hoping to move to Dubai (with jobs to go to) in the New Year. I would love any advice at all. It seems that a recruitment agency is the way to go without being in Dubai. Any names of health / alcohol & drug agencies would be great. I have seen write ups about Dubai's Training and Rehabilitation Center but cant find any sort of contact info.

Thanks so much for your time,
Sincerely,
Carrie.

Curriculum Vitae

Personal Details

Name Carrie Lynne Robertson
Address Auckland, New Zealand
missrobertson@gmail.com

Education Bachelor of Psychology with Distinction University of Saskatchewan, 2000
Bachelor of Social Work
University of Regina, 2002

Career History

Alcohol & Drug Clinician Community Alcohol & Drug Service, WDHB
July 2003 - Present

Key Responsibilities
• Processing referrals and inquiries coming into the unit by phone, fax or in person;
• Gathering relevant information and prioritise need;
• Risk assessment and management;
• Administering screening tools;
• Documenting clinical notes, assessments and discharge summaries;
• Counselling – motivational interview, goal, treatment and discharge planning
• Designing and facilitating psycho-educational groups;
• Liaising with internal and external community agencies.

Detox Worker Saskatoon District Health Board
May 2005 – September 2005

Key Responsibilities
• Admitting acutely intoxicated clients to 12 bed brief detox unit and stabilised clients to 18 bed 7 day social detox programme.
• Facilitating psycho-educational group programming to 18 clients of social detox
• Assessing and referring clients to residential and community resources for aftercare

Child Protection Worker Saskatchewan Social Services
April 2002 – March 2003

Key Responsibilities
• Investigating referrals of child neglect and abuse;
• Counselling families and helping them develop plans to better deal with the problems they are having with their children;
• Admitting children into care of Social Services by providing aid to those children in order to meet their basic and special needs;
• Working with the court and ensuring the family is referred to the agency that is best able to offer support;
• Placement of children into foster homes;
• Preparing reports, assessments, case notes, court related documents and managing a complicated caseload;
• Liaising with other agencies to co-ordinate service to families.

Practicum Student Saskatchewan Social Services
Jan 2002 – April 2002

Key Responsibilities
• Completing home studies for foster parent applicants;
• Evaluating foster homes and the care they provide for foster children;
• Collaborating with therapeutic foster parents to meet the complex needs of special needs foster children.

Practicum Student
The Children’s Advocate Office
Sept 2001 – Dec 2001

Key Responsibilities
• Advocating for the rights of children who are receiving services from government agencies such as social services and provincial health care;
• Investigating complaints against government agencies providing services to children.

Contract Worker Saskatchewan Social Services,
May 2001 – April 2002

Key Responsibilities
• Designing and facilitating psycho-educational groups for at-risk children;
• Co-ordinating and supervising visits for at-risk families whose children are in the care of social services.
• Collaborating with parents of at-risk families to increase safety in the home;
• Mentoring at-risk youth.

Nurse’s Aide Saskatoon District Health Board
May 2001 – Sept 2001

Key Responsibilities
• Providing personal care for residents of a Level 4 care facility;
• Documenting care and issues regarding residents in clinical notes.

Volunteer Work

Funding Allocation Board
United Way
Jan 2003 – March 2003

Key Responsibilities
• Evaluating and reviewing human service agency programmes, finances and funding submissions;
• Formulating and submitting proposals which recommend how much money from the United Way Community Fund to allocate to each agency.

Branch Executive
Saskatchewan Association of Social Workers
Jan 2002 – March 2003

Key Responsibilities
• Developing and maintaining standards of practice;
• Fostering skills and competency among members to serve and protect the public;
• Advocating for improvement for social policies and programs directly affecting social work clients;
• Organising tangible benefits and services to members and the public;
• Developing Mentor Programme for social work students with practicing social workers.

Social Work Students’ Society
University of Regina
Sept 2001 – May 2002

Key Responsibilities
• Organising social events, fundraisers and education days for students and the public;
• Leadership in student government.

missrobertson
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Canadian female in New Zealand seeks Dubai job May 15, 2006
missrobertson wrote:Any names of health / alcohol & drug agencies would be great. I have seen write ups about Dubai's Training and Rehabilitation Center but cant find any sort of contact info.

Strange, there's no drugs or alcohol in Dubai :? ...

But seriously, you're talking about this place?

Not sure what else to say to you. I don't think you'll find attitudes to drug and alcohol rehabilitation as forward thinking as you may be used to. That's a bit of a guess because expats if caught drunk or drugged usually do a jail sentence and then get deported. I don't know how it goes with UAE citizens.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 15, 2006
Actually I heard they are building a new drug rehab place here, so she may be coming at the right time. All the stuff about drugs is pretty hush hush here though so finding out where to apply may be difficult.

Good luck.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 17, 2006
i'll second fayz on that .....

things like that "don't happen here", so you would find it extremely difficult to find it advertised anywhere, as that would be admitting there was a problem. i would assume that the facility would be adminsitered by either the dubai department of health or the dubai police services.

personally i wouldn't bother with recruitment agencies, as this is the type of position that you will not find advertised in the Gulf News classifieds
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: Canadian female in New Zealand seeks Dubai job May 18, 2006
Strange, there's no drugs or alcohol in Dubai :? ...

But seriously, you're talking about this place ?

yes! that is the place! thanks for that.

Not sure what else to say to you. I don't think you'll find attitudes to drug and alcohol rehabilitation as forward thinking as you may be used to. That's a bit of a guess because expats if caught drunk or drugged usually do a jail sentence and then get deported. I don't know how it goes with UAE citizens.[/quote]

your response was very helpful. thanks for your time; i really appreciate it.
missrobertson
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 18, 2006
This is a police centre. There are no private clinics for this purpose here.

I have never seen a Western expat working for the polic force here, they employ Arabs.

So don't bother.

Even if they did hire you, it would be CRAP pay.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 18, 2006
thanks for that. what about any social work / counselling agencies for ex-pats? i appreciate your take on the subject. thanks for your time :)
missrobertson
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 18, 2006
Liban wrote:This is a police centre. There are no private clinics for this purpose here.

I have never seen a Western expat working for the polic force here, they employ Arabs.

So don't bother.

Even if they did hire you, it would be CRAP pay.

that is sincerely very helpful. thanks :)
missrobertson
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 18, 2006
There are agencies that take care of expats as easing their coming to Dubai by doing certain ground work pertaining to visas, helping open back accounts, getting car loans, helping find good hotel rooms or homes, touring Dubai, etc....

Not really social work per sae because social justice is LOW LOW LOW on the list of priorities in Dubai and usually when you have a social problem here you are simply deported. Crappy situation :?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 18, 2006
You need to put the country in perspective. As it is Muslim and run according to Muslim laws and traditional values - things like alcoholism and drug related problems are not supposed to happen - as using them is in contravention with the law of the land. Simply because of this they cannot have hugely publicised institutions do deal with the affects of these problems. Make no mistake the do happen - but are an embarrassment, so are swept under the rug (so to speak). Normally matters like this are handled by the police or CID, there is no rehabilitation. For drug offences there is normally (in Dubai) a prison sentence followed by deportation. Alcohol related problems like assault are dealt with in a similar fashion depending on the nature of the case as well as the nationality of the perpetrator (sometimes a fine and a short jail sentence is imposed), as i said it depends on the circumstances.

Issues such as social work amongst labour is also not organised and takes place mainly through volunteer groups (private or through embassies).
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 18, 2006
missrobertson wrote:thanks for that. what about any social work / counselling agencies for ex-pats? i appreciate your take on the subject. thanks for your time :)

There's counselling services in Dubai that might be worth investigating. Search a directory, if you post any names you find here, you might get comments from people. Can't think of any off the top of my head.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Canadian female in New Zealand seeks Dubai job May 19, 2006
missrobertson wrote:\
But seriously, you're talking about this place?

Yup that is the place, have you tried contacting them? there is also a women's shelter here. As places like this show the reality and Dubai like any other city has problems they are well masked but I did meet a Canadian girl who told me she worked as a counselor for young rape victims, so services must exist.

Good luck in your search
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Re: Canadian female in New Zealand seeks Dubai job May 20, 2006
Yup that is the place, have you tried contacting them? there is also a women's shelter here. As places like this show the reality and Dubai like any other city has problems they are well masked but I did meet a Canadian girl who told me she worked as a counselor for young rape victims, so services must exist.

Good luck in your search[/quote]

that sounds promising. thank you :) it's good to know it is possible as it sounds like this area of employment in dubai requires determined research.

my partner as an engineer seems like he will be "shooting fish ing barrel" for jobs in comparison. someone has asked about him through my posting based on one sentence!
missrobertson
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted