Trial

Topic locked
Trial Oct 23, 2010
I am going to suggest that we trial for a week in Politics a new system of posting. Please feel free to put your point of view below so that we can all discuss this like grown up's and without resorting to making this a political ploy (it isn't).

All you regulars seem to open a thread with a copy and paste and the link. More often than not, the majority of you seem to have little else to say about the article posted. How about for 1 week, the "OP" write his/her opinion about an article that clearly interests them, and just supply the link.

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Trial Oct 23, 2010
Go for it, would be a welcome change.
desertdudeshj

Re: Trial Oct 24, 2010
Arnie, I like it that you look to improve the forum aor at least some subsections of it). Placing some personal input in the OP, instead of just copy/paste, is certainly an enrichment. However, this will not change a thing regarding the main issues of this forum.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Trial Oct 24, 2010
A good initiative Arnie.

You won't be able to please everyone - but let's see how it goes. The most active threads have been the ones where people share their views and these are explored, challenged, agreed with.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Trial Oct 25, 2010
If honest the main thought in the back of my mind it was that it may contribute to improved communication and we could listen/read an individuals points of view rather than OP posting a one liner and pages of script from a press release or newspaper. I will leave this thread running till next week and see if we get any more input or suggestions.
arniegang

Flying Dutchman wrote:Arnie, I like it that you look to improve the forum aor at least some subsections of it). Placing some personal input in the OP, instead of just copy/paste, is certainly an enrichment. However, this will not change a thing regarding the main issues of this forum.

FD

can you elaborate please i am interested in your thoughts on improvements generally or issues.
arniegang

Thumbs up to this initiative.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Trial Oct 26, 2010
Arnie, I am a bit reluctant to answer, because in the past commentary or criticism on moderation in this forum was often met with mockery and/or personal insults by the majority of moderators. So, I'll answer on the off chance that you are serious. My main issue is how this forum, especially the politics section, is moderated. Issues are arbritrary and inconsistent decisions, like editted and deleting posts. Repititive posts in the same thread are also an issue (copy/paste the same thing over and over again in the same thread). This becomes especially an issue when its done by moderators, as I think a moderator should at least give a good example. What is especially weird is that some moderators have the urge to barge into threads with only personal attacks.
Don't get me wrong posters are also responsible for the atmosphere in the forum, but certainly in the case of DF, good moderation will be welcome change.
But allow me to ask you the question whether you think discussions in the politics section are well moderated and whether moderators encourage fair and adult exchanges of views?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:Arnie, I am a bit reluctant to answer, because in the past commentary or criticism on moderation in this forum was often met with mockery and/or personal insults by the majority of moderators. So, I'll answer on the off chance that you are serious. My main issue is how this forum, especially the politics section, is moderated. Issues are arbritrary and inconsistent decisions, like editted and deleting posts. Repititive posts in the same thread are also an issue (copy/paste the same thing over and over again in the same thread). This becomes especially an issue when its done by moderators, as I think a moderator should at least give a good example. What is especially weird is that some moderators have the urge to barge into threads with only personal attacks.
Don't get me wrong posters are also responsible for the atmosphere in the forum, but certainly in the case of DF, good moderation will be welcome change.
But allow me to ask you the question whether you think discussions in the politics section are well moderated and whether moderators encourage fair and adult exchanges of views?

FD - thank you, and thank you for your frankness, i hope all those who frequent this forum (inc Mods) listen and learn from the points you made, which to me seem quite reasonable. If anyone disagree's with you all i ask is they respond with the politeness you made your points. FD i dont spend a lot of time on Politics and in answer to your question i have'nt really got an opinion.

Maybe this would be a good time for all of us to think about how and what we write and take in account how this may or may not have impact on others. I know many you have diverse views and maybe never be able to agree on anything. However, this is not a reason to be rude or riddicule others just because others dont agree with you. There is a lot of bad going on in the world at the moment worthy of a lot of discussion, lets not that manifest into DF please.
arniegang

In my own personal defense as a Mod, I try to let the free flow of discussion and personal opinion be as open as possible. Its called 'Free Speech' for a reason.

It is only when the subject matter severely wanders from the point or subject of the thread or becomes abusive, non objective, openly a series of vitriolic personal attacks or steps outside the bounds of accepted moral reasoning that I will step in and try to level the balance. We have had numerous trolls and 'copy paste' ranters over the years (Muslimbangabumboy being a personal 'bete noir'!) however the norms of social forum behaviour are similar to those in the real world.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone posting an openly left, right or liberal POV, as long as they have the brains and balls to back it up with sensible, reasoned argument. Politics forum can be heated and often down and dirty (as in the real world), however the opinions posted here are often valid from any particular individual perspective. The difficulties arise when the subject matter touches on religious/ethnic differences which people seem to feel are political issues. If we were to concentrate on 'debating' rather than crap flinging, perhaps the content of the forum might be more interesting to read?

My 2 fils worth.

Love and peace

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:. If we were to concentrate on 'debating' rather than crap flinging, perhaps the content of the forum might be more interesting to read?

It must certainly will. Unfortunately also moderators have a habit in engaging in this. Not all mods of course and not only mods. To erase this behaviour some bold moderations is needed instead of standing by the sideline commenting on it, which I donot see coming...hence my initial reluctance to react.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Trial Oct 28, 2010
The suggestion is good, but I am not sure if it's really that necessary.

Most threads usually come with a comment or two from the OP, along with the link.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an opinion. A comment or two is good enough for me!!

As to the Mods, I cannot really comment, because I have never had any problem with anyone of them!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Trial Nov 04, 2010
Just as I thought. Nothing has changed. Complete empty words from arniegang and DK.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Trial Nov 04, 2010
Flying Dutchman wrote:Just as I thought. Nothing has changed. Complete empty words from arniegang and DK.

Hmmm...so you were not aware of the recent cleaning process in Politics regarding a certain troll who continuously posted offensive, one sided, blatantly anti Jewish rants? I suppose they edited themselves.

Having reviewed many posts lately, I can see there is a return slide to the personal mud slinging style of debate however, as none of them have stepped over the invisible line of decency, they should remain in situ and will slowly die like todays newspaper wrapping tomorrows chips.

I seem to have recently become the target of the occasional clod of manure, however being a Teflon Knight, it don't stick and shall continue to sweep up the yard, part the warring kiddies and keep an eye out for the naughty ones smoking behind the bike sheds. One has to be either poacher or gamekeeper, either way someone will disapprove of what you do and how you do it. Does this face look like it cares?

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk