Algeria: Christians On Trial For Opening Church

Topic locked
Algeria: Christians on trial for opening church Nov 30, 2010
Now, repeat this to yourself ten times:

They're just like us
They're just like us

Christians on trial for terrorism? No. Opening a church? Yes...

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2010/ ... 27645.html

Under a 2006 Algerian law Muslims or non-Muslims can only practice their religion after authorities agree to a place of worship.

Over the past months several trials have opened in the north African country where Islam is the state religion for violation of Islamic precepts, notably involving converts to Christianity.

A group of Muslims who were charged with breaking the daily fast during the holy month of Ramadan in August, were acquitted earlier this month.

In mid-October a youth was sentenced to two years in prison and a fine for failing to abide by the fast but the prosecutor later said the sentence was for breaking a window pane at a police station.

Two Christians who broke the fast were acquitted in early October.

Prime Minister Ahmed Ouyahia told parliament last month Algeria would "always guarantee" freedom of religion.

Don't you feel a bit relieved? Freedom of religion is guaranteed in Islam because Muslims say it is.

No need to believe otherwise.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Algeria: Christians On Trial For Opening Church Nov 30, 2010
I think this is one of those famous FAILS again. You need various permissions to open a place of worship in most countries in the world including the west. Algerian law does not ban curches and there are many there.
desertdudeshj

Re: Algeria: Christians on trial for opening church Nov 30, 2010
Algeria probably also arrests and prosecutes you if you don't observe the Sabbath.

No really, pull the other one, it has bells on it.
event horizon

Hmm.

I recently vaguely remember some people strongly objecting to an Islamic cultural centre being opened, on the grounds that they fantasised it was an 'Islamic Supremacist Mosque' - not that it was illegal or anything?

And I also am reminded of Israel demolishing a mosque earlier this month in Israel (because it didn't have permit, apparently):
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/ne ... e-1.323466

I would be surprised fanbois break with type and condemns Israel for acting like the Algerians (or is it the Algerians acting like the Israelis?) ;)

Epic fail indeed.

So, no need to revisit this thread again.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I recently vaguely remember some people strongly objecting to an Islamic cultural centre being opened

Did the US government arrest Muslims for praying in a building that did not have a proper permit to worship in?

And I also am reminded of Israel demolishing a mosque earlier this month in Israel (because it didn't have permit, apparently):

Was this before or after Muslims were arrested for not observing the Sabbath?

I would be surprised fanbois break with type and condemns Israel for acting like the Algerians (or is it the Algerians acting like the Israelis?)

Seems like the Algerians are taking a leaf from their brethren in Zanzibar.

Two more churches were destroyed yesterday by those unruly mobs.
event horizon

shafique wrote:Epic fail indeed.

So, no need to revisit this thread again.

Exactly, moving on......
desertdudeshj

event horizon wrote:

It was after the Bedouin mayor asked for it (as far as you can speak of a Bedouin when a person lives in a house).
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Algeria: Christians on trial for opening church Dec 01, 2010
Flying Dutchman wrote:
event horizon wrote:

It was after the Bedouin mayor asked for it (as far as you can speak of a Bedouin when a person lives in a house).

In other words, epic fail.

An interesting development:

(ANSAmed) - ALGIERS, NOVEMBER 30 - 35 people accused of witchcraft have been arrested in Algeria, in a village south of Bordj Bouarreridj, 200 km east of Algiers. According to reports by daily paper Ennahar, the group - which also includes an 83-year-old woman - was practicing group rituals promising "to heal and exorcise illnesses." In the house used for the magical practices, several products used for rituals and healing potions were seized. (ANSAmed).

http://www.ansamed.info/en/news/ME.XEF79976.html
event horizon

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk