Question For UAE Kid...

Topic locked
Question for UAE Kid... Sep 02, 2010
Are you Emerati?

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Question for UAE Kid... Sep 02, 2010
Ambassador wrote:Are you Emerati?

I should be very careful in asking questions in the future if I were you Ambassador, the last one you asked nearly caused the Forum to implode!

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Kid would like to think so, but we have our doubts.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dillon wrote:

I should be very careful in asking questions in the future if I were you Ambassador, the last one you asked nearly caused the Forum to implode!

:wink: stay tuned.

-- Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:17 pm --

Chocoholic wrote:Kid would like to think so, but we have our doubts.

Just that he sounds like an emirati proud of his country and culture. But I'll let him answer the question (wont make any assumptions).
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Dillon wrote:

hehe, dont worry that was just a typical fight!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:
Dillon wrote:

hehe, dont worry that was just a typical Bora-Chocs fight!

I'm only "worried" that the Jews and Palestinians got ignored (not actually worried but)
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

yes, can't you tell from my sppelinging :oops:
uaekid

Re: Question for UAE Kid... Sep 03, 2010
uaekid wrote:

Dont want to assume anything, another question:

Do you wear a dishdash?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Maybe he is a 'New Age' Emirati?

Wears khandura and an Ed Hardy baseball cap...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Ambassador wrote:
uaekid wrote:

Dont want to assume anything, another question:

Do you wear a dishdash?

what else ?
uaekid

Ok UAEkid,

You are local (Emerati)
You wear a Dishdash (and you showed how ingornat I am by asking "what else?" my bad :oops: ).

Another question if you don't mind:

Do you wear the dishdash because of religion or because you are proud of your Emerati Culture?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:Ok UAEkid,

You are local (Emerati)
You wear a Dishdash (and you showed how ingornat I am by asking "what else?" my bad :oops: ).

Do you wear the dishdash because of religion or because you are proud of your Emerati Culture?

Before the Kid jumps down your throat, I can possibly answer that on his behalf:

The khandura has nothing to do with religious belief. It is 'National Dress' and derives from the requirements of life in a hot desert climate. Each nation in the Arabian Peninsula has a slight variation on the theme that serves to identify their country of origin.

Personally I find it tends to look smart and very elegant on the locals.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:
Ambassador wrote:Ok UAEkid,

You are local (Emerati)

Before the Kid jumps down your throat, I can possibly answer that on his behalf:

The khandura has nothing to do with religious belief. It is 'National Dress' and derives from the requirements of life in a hot desert climate. Each nation in the Arabian Peninsula has a slight variation on the theme that serves to identify their country of origin.

Personally I find it tends to look smart and very elegant on the locals.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Thanks but... :wink:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

I'll let Kid answer the 'but'...

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Question For UAE Kid... Sep 03, 2010
DK gave a better answer than I would give LOL but it's not a must thing, I mean I only wear it going to work and evening times mostly jeans , got use to them back in the states.my friends don't like it and my dad too he always goes somthing like (you have a big as* to wear jeans) :shock: WTF

PS, you are creeping me out dude :?
uaekid

uaekid wrote:DK gave a better answer than I would give LOL but it's not a must thing, I mean I only wear it going to work and evening times mostly jeans , got use to them back in the states.my friends don't like it and my dad too he always goes somthing like (you have a big as* to wear jeans) :shock: WTF

PS, you are creeping me out dude :?

Creeping you out?

I've read your recent posts and I figured you were:

1. An Emerati
2. Who wears a dishdash
3. who is proud of his Emerati Culture (i.e. the national dress)

So I was going to ask:

Being that your are so proud of your Emerati Culture (which you should be), do you wear a dishdash when traveling in a Western Country? But you have answered that question...

Only proud in the UAE? How come?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

I guess to fit with the crowed and other cloth are more flexible. cloths is not my identity, it runs in the blood and heart not in cloths .I did represent to my country on US universities international days wearing dishdasha and on Halloweens but that was before the 9/11 :wink:
and I guess now a days I will be considered a threat and conceiving a bomb underneath the dishdasha :?
uaekid

And when you represent your country what do you promote? What achievement, contribution to human kind or public figure do you like to put forward the most.
capsicum
BANNED

Re: Question for UAE Kid... Sep 04, 2010
capsicum wrote:And when you represent your country what do you promote? What achievement, contribution to human kind or public figure do you like to put forward the most.

Why should he have to justify being proud of his country? I'm very proud of England even though we have a rubbish football team, have a rubbish government and it's always raining. If I were an Emirati, I would be very proud too. I wouldn't dis him for not wearing his national dress abroad, that's a very wise decision. I wish our Pakistani visitors to England would take note and not wear those ridiculous get ups that they do. Their clothes are obviously designed for the hot weather but they insist on wearing them with anoracs and dodgy trainers. Absolutely ridiculous look. Same with saris, leave them in India.
Bethsmum

capsicum wrote:And when you represent your country what do you promote? What achievement, contribution to human kind or public figure do you like to put forward the most.

The UAE is 37 years old. I think that there are many achievements that can be said for Dubai. In some ways Dubai is more advanced that Western countries. Where else do they have air-conditioned bus shelters? As for a public figure - well I think Sheikh Mohammed is, for the most part, responsible for what Dubai is today. He made dreams a reality. He also made mistakes which are being corrected. He was very trusting of the people around him and who he gifted with positions that they never dreamed of holding. Unfortunately for as much as he gave them, the more they wanted, which has come back to bite them.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Please BB, don't live in denial! $120bn debts, scores of fooled investors, World Islands: abandonned, Palm Jebel Ali : abandonned. Advanced country? please tell me about space tech, nuke tech, or Blackberry but not a/c bus shelters purchased in Germany. The UAE was created 37 years because of the discovery of oil, but people there were wandering around doing nothing for hundred of years.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Question For UAE Kid... Sep 04, 2010
Gertrude, putting aside what has happened regarding the Dubai's economic implosion, what other country managed to do what Dubai did in 37 years? Yes, it has big problems - well HUGE problems. Huge mistakes were made because the way "business" was done there was a level of "tribal" (and I don't mean that in a negative way) practice. If you read a couple of books on the history of Dubai, you would learn why certain things are done the way they were. It is quite interesting.

BTW, good to see you. How have you been?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Then surely the Emiratis should be admired for creating what they have in 37 years? I see you mention Blackberry, now that's a real achievement isn't it? There is always somebody ready to knock the locals. All I can say is you know where the airport is.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:

Why should he have to justify being proud of his country? I'm very proud of England even though we have a rubbish football team, have a rubbish government and it's always raining. If I were an Emirati, I would be very proud too. I wouldn't dis him for not wearing his national dress abroad, that's a very wise decision. I wish our Pakistani visitors to England would take note and not wear those ridiculous get ups that they do. Their clothes are obviously designed for the hot weather but they insist on wearing them with anoracs and dodgy trainers. Absolutely ridiculous look. Same with saris, leave them in India.

What' s wrong explaining why uaekid is proud of his country.
You can be proud of the UK: major achievements , leading nation, who cares of the football team.
capsicum
BANNED

Re: Question for UAE Kid... Sep 05, 2010
Bethsmum wrote:Then surely the Emiratis should be admired for creating what they have in 37 years? I see you mention Blackberry, now that's a real achievement isn't it? There is always somebody ready to knock the locals. All I can say is you know where the airport is.

Bethsmum, I think you are confusing creating and buying. If I hire a US and a South Korean Company to design and build the tallest tower in the world, I sure not the creator?
I know where is the airport, and if you meant "if you don't like it, leave" who has not heard that in Dubai.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Bethsmum wrote:Then surely the Emiratis should be admired for creating what they have in 37 years? I see you mention Blackberry, now that's a real achievement isn't it? There is always somebody ready to knock the locals. All I can say is you know where the airport is.

Now that is retarded - that is to say 'held back'', do you actually read the Global press or are you limited to the National and the Gulf News?

This admiration that you expound as never having been accomplished before ......... that sweetie was accomplished by, now what's the word most used about foreigners, ah yes FRAUD

Using a relatively small amount of money found locally they borrowed more money locally and used the same assets to secure further borrowing from different banks. The story the National does not have the nuts to report is just how many banks held the same assets as collateral.

The money that they borrowed and squandered was your and my parents pension funds and that of just about every individual in the west, and you have the temerity to think that a few shiny buildings along the Abu Dhabi Rd is an accomplishment jeeeeeeeesh

Now, if they have cured cancer or built a research station on the moon with the pilfered funds that would have been an accomplishment, but no, what they have accomplished is to hide behind their medieval laws and given the bird to the global money markets. (And you think they will forget this?)

So wake up and wise up, spending that long on your knees looking for approval from the barbarian is, how to put it politely, demeaning to yourself and those who suffered in this most extreme case of national narcissism since the Third Reich.

For Uber Alles and all that ................ read, Inshallah

[aside - Knowing where the airport is, duck, has been standard fare since the 70's when having an open return was de rigour - drop it, move on, think up something original]

-- Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:42 am --

p.s. Hey BB good to hear from you babes, glad things are going good for you and the gang!

-- Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:45 am --

Message to mod .......

Just send this straight to fight club now, I have quite a lot more to say about sycophantic expats grovelling for the drippings from a camels nose.

Toot toot
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Bethsmum wrote:

Ironically in one paragraph you have managed both to miss my point and make my point.

UAEkid need not "justify" being proud of his country. However, it seems to me he goes out of his way to state his "Emeratiness" and by extension criticize others. I simply wanted to know whether his "proudness" extended beyond the UAE border (with the National dress being a primary indicator of the culture) - it does not.

The Pakistanis you mention in your post do not appear to give up their cultural heritage simply because they live in the West (England in your example) and wear their traditional outfits. Which was my point.

BTW, some might consider your post a tad racist.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

viking-warrior wrote:p.s. Hey BB good to hear from you babes, glad things are going good for you and the gang!

Just send this straight to fight club now, I have quite a lot more to say about sycophantic expats grovelling for the drippings from a camels nose.

Toot toot

Good to see you my warrior. :) Would love to hear what else you have to say on the subject. I have imposed a partial censorship on myself. Walking the straight and narrow here!!! :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Whoa! Emiratis should be admired for what they created? Sorry but Dubai and its achievements have been built from the blood, sweat and tears of EXPATS! The Emiratis have actually contributed very little to the planning, achitecture and construction of the city, which has all be done by foreigners.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Viking warrier, I will endeavor to answer your post first as you have obviously put a lot of time and effort into it. I hope I can cover all of your points as to be truthful, I lost the will to live half way through, but I don't want to bore people too much by reposting it.
Sweetie? LOL, I have changed my signature to reflect this new found status, it really is more becoming to a lady than Trained killer. I was called a troll last week, so I feel we are moving in the right direction.
Duck? how very regional.
Let me think? Oh the press thingy, no, I don't read the International press, I get all my information from DF and the Viz.
VW, you seem bitter, I hope you aren't one of those expats who took a fixed rate mortgage with Mashreq and bought a couple of units in 2008/9 and now find yourself in negative equity? In which case I understand your financial ranting. Myself, I really don't care about all that stuff, what's really important to me is if I can get my nails done at a reasonable price.
Oh and what else were you on about? The airport, that was it! It might be a old suggestion but one you may have considered had you not been tied here for financial reasons?
Anyways off to collect some camel nose droppings, BTW was this you trying to be polite? Surely it's more of an insult to suggest the droppings I may wish to collect should come out of the other end?
I can't comment on you calling me a sycophantic expat as I really don't know what that word means, can you put it in simpler terms for me, I'm just a sweetie after all.

-- Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:00 pm --

Ambassador, I do apologise for ranking your post below that of VW but as he was so passionate in his post I felt I needed to respond to him first. I do love a passionate man, don't you?
Anyway, I'm afraid we will have to disagree on this one. I like the UAEkid and I still think his decision to wear western clothes abroad, or anywhere else for that matter is not a case of lack of national pride. The dishdash is made for warm climates and I wouldn't want him to suffer frost bite on his nether regions just for the sake of national pride. That really is above and beyond the call of duty. Who wants to see an arab deressed like that walking down Oxford Street>? how silly. I remember in the spring when I was watching the State opening of Parliament and saw two arabs dressed in dishdashs in the House of Lords. I don't know how they snooke in there but they did look out of place!
As for me being racist, well I believe I am free to make any comments I wish about my own country and if you feel that's racist, well I can wear that badge. I will add it to the increasing list of names that I have been called since posting on this forum. I would like it to be known though that I tend to judge people on who they are rather than their nationality, but racist if you wish, it really doesn't bother BM.

-- Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:09 pm --

And Chocs! Last but not least! At least I can be bothered to respond to you, I'm afraid I will have to leave the other jokers.
Chocs, BM absolutely loves the Emiratis! I won't have a thing said against them! I have always been treated with the utmost respect here, speak as you find I say. I love the men, they are so smart in their dishdashs and they always smell gorgeous. I really don't care if Dubai was built by expats, why Germany got the Poles in to do their dirty work and the Brits will get anyone in as long as we don't have to do it.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat